Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-15, 09:30 PM  
bfit

do you think Greg Smithey's Buns of Steel is effective?

Does anyone still use the original Buns of Steel? If so, do you think it's worthwhile? I like it because it's lower body floor work and not squats and lunges, but I really don't like the outdated set, outfits, and music, and the instructor (and the participants) really aren't appealing to me. Also, I'm wondering if all of the repetitions are really effective. I guess what I'd like to find is lower body floor work that's more appealing and not quite as repetitive, but if this workout really works I'll stick with it.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 10:25 AM  
MARIKA

I'd like to know what people think too? ITA about the outfits and look though. It seem really hard for me at least to find a really good complete floorwork workout that I find really targets everything.
Old 09-17-15, 10:37 AM  
laurajhawk

There was a thread on this one recently:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=211737

As I recall, people were generally positive on the workout, although the warmup is kinda' stupid (OK, that's my interpretation 'cause I have done this one, but other people also don't like the warmup. You can do your own warmup to make the workout shorter).

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 12:13 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

What do you mean by "really works"? Do you mean fat loss, muscle endurance in the legs, increased strength etc? What are your goals? What do you want the exercises to accomplish?

I believe this workout was originally designed for high jumpers to give them the leg endurance they needed for their sport, so all those reps will give you endurance and also work some of the small muscles that don't get worked otherwise.
Old 09-17-15, 12:15 PM  
videofit

Good reminder for me to do this today! Really gives me DOMS.
Old 09-17-15, 03:22 PM  
bfit

By "really works" I mean a workout that would strengthen the lower body but in a non-bulking way.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 09:02 PM  
videofit

Margaret Richard is known for her floorwork. She got my lower half in shape better than anything else I'd done up until I found her workouts. Her website has clips for the DVDs they sell. You can also look for her on youtube.

http://www.bodyelectrictv.com/
Old 09-18-15, 12:37 PM  
ellenalesa

Margaret Richard

Can you tell us which ones? Thanks
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-15, 12:46 PM  
Suzan66

If you're only looking for an hr of floorwork only... HDM Thighmatics I hands down.

TM has work on back, side and all fours. No music but it has a zen feel IMO. It's a bit expensive at $30 but for me it's been worth it as it gave me great results when I did it as a detox (5 days a week for 3 weeks). It has no dread factor. I can see how it wouldn't appeal to some who like music but it doesn't bother me.
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-15, 12:57 PM  
at120

I always liked the Original Buns of Steel. Much of the workout is similar to stuff being put out there by Tracy Anderson and Hamelin d'Abell today -- high rep, dance based movements that tend to tone (decrease body fat/flab) more than bulk.
at120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buns of steel, greg smithey, of steel, thighmatics