Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-13, 09:49 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

My first purchase was her original back pain relief, and the Express workout way back in I think maybe 2006? Maybe earlier. Not sure when they were released.

Anyway, I thought it was a stretch program, not a stretch and strengthening program. I didn't get it, and didn't want to work at it. I saw the value but just wasn't sure. Through the years I have purchased pretty much everything CS as "supplement" but never really committed myself to daily CS as my "main" exercise until about two years ago when I was sick of my chronic pain.

The more I work on the program, the harder I know how to work. I can get sweaty doing some of the more intense workouts. I know some people think it's fluff, but it's not!

And if you don't like it, not to worry. Easily sellable and tradeable. I'd hang onto it, though.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 01:30 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I tried Miranda years ago and absolutely hated CS and Miranda. I think I had the express workouts. For some reason I bought Essentrics a couple of years ago, and I don't know if I ever tried them. They were on my sell list when I started reading more about CS here. I checked PBS listings, recorded one, did it and loved it. Found out Season 8 is currently showing and I have recorded 12 episodes. I then bought Season 4 and have been doing that and the PBS episodes. I guess it just needs to be the right time for different workout styles and instructors.

I'm concerned that I'm doing some of the moves incorrectly and thus doing them for nothing or doing them in a way that will actually hurt me. She sometimes uses terms I don't understand so I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. It all feels good, and I'll probably figure it out eventually.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 02:39 PM  
JanaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I'm concerned that I'm doing some of the moves incorrectly and thus doing them for nothing or doing them in a way that will actually hurt me.
Me too with push the piano/pull the donkey. I must be doing something wrong. It sort of hurts my back. And windmills! Season 7 seemed to have a lot of those. So lately I've been sticking with Essentrics 2008 and the Express workouts. They are my favorites.
Old 04-17-13, 06:44 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
Season 4 is the only one I have. I purchased it because it was reasonably priced and sounded like a good introduction to Classical Stretch. I did want easy because I envisioned using these for warmup or cool down or recovery day workouts. And I do feel great after I follow one of the sessions. But.... I don't reach for it that often and for me part of the issue is that it is slow and she talks so much sometimes about not relevant things. That and she doesn't work both sides evenly. The side she starts with usually gets a longer stretch because she talks so much then the other side is rushed. That really annoys me so I haven't spent the money on any of her others. It is one of those programs I really want to like because I can see it would be beneficial. I do try again periodically and try to remember to count the stretch time myself and to pause the dvd to try to get it even and to start with whatever side is tighter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
And for some people there's a liking curve. I had the originals (vol 1 and 2, athletic stretch or whatever it was called) some years ago, tried them, and was pretty much "meh". I could tell they were good and potentially effective, but I didn't really like them. It wasn't till I revisited them a few years later that they started to feel fun - I think it was the CS for Men where things really clicked - or at least, my body was in a place where it could really feel the benefits.

So it might click some workout...or week...or year...or never. On the plus side, they seem very easy to trade if it's "never".
I could have written Slysam's post almost verbatim. I have 4 or 5 seasons and I have tried to like them. After receiving an email from them about April's challenge, I decided to do it with Season 8.

Everything that Slysam posted bugs me a lot. These workouts would be so much better if she had less content and held each stretch for longer periods of time, and EVENLY. I developed really bad lower back pain (on my bad side) the first week and it's finally feeling better. I dropped the foam rolling and rolling on my miracle ball when I added Classical Stretch, and it was not enough for me. I put my own stretch routine back in and this is what is helping me with eliminating the back pain.

I can't imagine there being a real learning curve here. There isn't anything complicated about her workouts. But I agree with Sophie that there is definitely a "liking" curve. So I'm hoping that by the end of the 30 days that I will like the workouts enough to continue with the other seasons that I have purchased.

I do like Miranda though. There isn't one negative thing that I can say about Miranda.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, classical stretch season4, classical stretch seasons