Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-15, 06:45 PM  
LaCatrina

Honestly, there are many good and effective floor work options for the lower body that are less dated

Swylvia's original Mat workout is quite good, and tough. I haven't done it in a good while, but it's nicely chaptered. When I was doing it frequently I would lover the volume so I could just about hear her cues and I played my own music. The moves are pretty basic, so you don't need many form cues. Oh and she lies... you're doing a move, and says "just 20 more" when in fact she does another 40 reps

Mary Helen Bower's first DVD, the classic 60 min workout has gotten great reviews here. That workout has one of the hardest bridge segments (IMO). There are also a ton of segments that are floor-based for the lower body in her streaming service.

I personally love Margaret's older workouts (Body Electric, 40 and fabulous), which are about as old as Buns of Steel, but to me, for some reason (probably Margaret's demeanor actually) they don't have that cheesy factor that BOS has - not that there's anything wrong with that

Hamelin is my personal favorite - thighmatics I and glutematics are amazing. You can always add your own music. If you play the workouts in your computer you can play whatever music you like in another window or in your web browser while you play the workout in your media player.

The classes in his course I are all toning, and while they are full body workouts they have a good deal of mat work for the lower body. These have no music as well, but you can play your own.

Karen Voight also has some fab ones: the great weighted workout (full body, but it has a killer lower body section) and a specific lower body workout. They're old too, but newer than BOS (from the 90s) - IIRC both were released to DVD.

Tags
buns of steel, greg smithey, of steel, thighmatics