Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-06, 11:53 AM  
jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit
(snip) I am addressing her appearance on the Today Show months ago with her doctor, discussing how workouts have to be modified as we age, since so many baby boomers, herself included, have injured themselves working out the same way they have since they were in their 20s. Has she put out any workouts since that time, with appropriate modifications?
Hi videofit,

This preorder is the first set she has put out since her injury, so it is hard to say what type if any modifications there will be. We will find out soon . She answered a question once about putting out a workout based on info from her doctor. She stated that she was considering a collaberation with her doctor or therapists (or therapy?) but for now, it was just an idea. She also stated that she would continue putting out advanced workouts.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-06, 12:02 PM  
jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I'd say she sometimes has a background exercisers showing modifications for some moves in some of her resistance workouts (and rarely in a few cardio ones, but that's because the backgrounder needed to modify). (snip)
This is my experience except that I would add that she often gives verbal ques for modifications or ques to stay at a certain move instead of advancing. She dosen't show modifications in the same sense as Christi (for example). I find having a background exerciser in the DVD (in the way Christi does) very distracting but I understand why other people like it. I am more audio than visual so I am ok either way, but I do have a preference.

jordan
Old 10-01-06, 12:06 PM  
videofit

I thought the whole point of her appearance on TV with her doctor was to say that everyone needs to modify their workouts to protect their frame as they age, regardless of how fit you are. That is the point of her doctor's book, Framework. It would be very disappointing if Cathe only talked the talk but didn't walk the (modified) walk.
videofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-06, 12:08 PM  
jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterby
Well, I know that she used to do all her step workouts on an eight inch platform but after CTX (I think), she went to a six inch platform. I believe this was also because of her knee surgery, but I could be wrong. However, I do follow her example if the workout has a bunch of jumps, pivots, turns, etc...I keep the platform at 6 inches, but if the workout is less complex, I'll bump the step up to 8 but no higher. I want to keep my knees surgeriless as long as possible !

I remember this change about this time also. If I remember correctly she stated that after having the baby she started back slower. She also stated that she realized that she got a good workout at the lower height and had no need to increase it.

jordan
Old 10-01-06, 12:24 PM  
jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit
I thought the whole point of her appearance on TV with her doctor was to say that everyone needs to modify their workouts to protect their frame as they age, regardless of how fit you are. That is the point of her doctor's book, Framework. It would be very disappointing if Cathe only talked the talk but didn't walk the (modified) walk.
From the sounds of Cathe's posts she is walking the walk. She listens to her body and cooperated with her therapy. She also modifies when needed. It would be helpful for some people to have a workout that went through all of this information but they would still have to apply it to all types of workouts and everyday life. Maybe these new workout will have some pearls of wisdom but we won't know until we get them.

jordan
Old 10-02-06, 09:11 AM  
ErinF
Exchange Moderator

As I recall

she went to a 6 inch step height when she was expecting her 1st child. She never felt the need to take her step height back up after the baby, as she was getting just as good a workout on 6 inches.

DISCLAIMER: I appeared as a background exerciser in a Patrick Goudeau step video. Impartiality in regard to his workouts, or any those of any other instructor with complex choreography, is NOT guaranteed!
ErinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 08:36 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinF
she went to a 6 inch step height when she was expecting her 1st child. She never felt the need to take her step height back up after the baby, as she was getting just as good a workout on 6 inches.
Well, plus she is a little short for an 8 inch step, no?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 09:42 AM  
Debra

Isn't Low Max on an 8 inch step?

Debra
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 10:10 AM  
acey

I'm very happy to get verification that Cathe does her high-intensity step workouts on a 6-inch step these days (I guessed it from looking at the apparent amount of risers but wasn't sure). I had tried to do IMAX 3 on an 8-inch step and found it impossible!

I also believe Low Max is on an 8-inch...but that makes sense to me cuz after all, you're not doing any jumps or such.
Old 10-04-06, 10:28 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I think it is on an 8-inch step. Eh, I don't care. I'm a 6 inch girl regardless.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe injury, modifier