Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-19, 01:55 PM  
toomuchjoy

Glad you found a solution that works.

It's funny because we bought this house 4 years ago and we have a guest bedroom as well as an extra smaller room. I thought this would be my exercise room but I tried to make it work for months. Several issues were: it's upstairs where the other bedrooms are so I could wake others in the AM, the ceiling was too low and the room was just dark.

I tried the family room but found that I had to pick up after others before even starting in the AM and that was frustrating.

I have a "sunroom" off the kitchen with a couple of cozy chairs and a vaulted ceiling. This is where I work out. I just push the ottomans out of the way, grab my weights that I store in a kitchen cabinet and set up my laptop. It's not dedicated but it works fairly easily.
toomuchjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 05:07 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Kate!

Cataddict, I am so glad you have your dream space now.

Toomuchjoy, I am lucky that my husband and son are heavy sleepers.

Now I have to find somewhere to put all the strength dvds I brought upstairs.
I think we have a small unused bookshelf I can put up there.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 07:00 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I found the step risers are a perfect spot for my stability ball.
And if you put your translucent stability ball in front of the blue nightlight it lights up and looks really pretty in the dark, even after it's gathered dust.

I can so relate to the cats underfoot, too funny.

It's a wonder my old cat lived as long as he did, since he came so close to getting clobbered with a kettlebell or dumbbell so many times.

I can't seem to work out anywhere but my room. I'm so accustomed to being there that I just can't seem to do it elsewhere. I tried turning the sunroom into a spot for weights and nearly killed myself in the dark when I forgot the step was out in the middle of the floor. Haven't used the step as a weight bench since then.
Old 01-21-19, 11:13 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

p.s., we have 1 cat in the house, and whenever i am doing anything on the ground, she has to participate, just like your cat. i think it's because you're on their level, and they think you're trying to communicate with them!

she has the run of the entire house, and i have no idea why she needs to be around when i'm on the floor.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 11:14 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Congratulations on recreating your home gym Sherry!! It sounds like it's going to work really well for you. I, too, have a dedicated room with a door and I'm grateful for that. I definitely close that door and keep my dog and 2 cats out though, lol.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 12:28 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I lived in a second floor apartment for 8+ years and couldn't do anything with much impact for fear of disturbing my downstairs neighbor. When we moved into our house in 2014, I had designated the garden hut (or "she shed") as my workout room and home office. It's absolutely fabulous except for two minor flaws -- (1) it's insulated and my dear hubby made the concrete floor look nicer, but even with a yoga mat on top, it still gets chilly on the feet in the (mild) winters here in the SF Bay Area and I could use kiddie play floor mats to increase the insulation but I worry they will slip around and (2) the ceiling is low (7 feet?) so rebounding with arms up in the air is off-limits. Aside from that, with my little space heater and sofa bed in there, it's my getaway from the main house and noisy kids. Love it! All my friends are jealous.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 12:41 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am sorry to ramble, but my DH and son would not understand about this. Thanks for reading
I can totally relate to people not understanding this topic! I think it's great that you found an alternative space. We recently moved into a new home and I thought I would naturally make my workout space in the basement but decided to make a back room the workout room and am so happy I did because of the windows. I was surprised how much thought I had to put into this. But I think it's more energizing being able to see daylight!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 07:23 AM  
horsemom2

I have moved from our basement and using dvds to streaming mostly in the den in the morning
and bedroom the rest of the day for sparks where our 2 laptops reside.

Our older son had quit his job in NYC and if he does not find another soon, he may be moving home for awhile for the second time.
First time did not work well for any of us because he has a difficult personality.

He had acquired a Boston Terrier a year ago which will probably be moving here too. I am hoping the two of them can adjust to living mostly in the basement or it will be a real emotional struggle for all of us.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 08:22 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Gina!

Tiffany, your space sounds wonderful!

Julie, I think having natural light does make a big difference. When I bought my recumbent bike, I did not want it in our finished basement. I wanted to be able to look out the window while using it. Plus, at that time our son was a lot younger and he and his friends played down there. I didn't want them climbing all over it and someone getting hurt.

Barb, I hope things work out. That is a difficult situation. I am guessing you moved your stability ball and rebounders upstairs as well

I woke up with a tight lower back, so I can't do strength training today Hopefully with stretching and yoga it will be back to normal tomorrow.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 03:45 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I thought of this thread today -- I'm finally back to a good schedule in workouts and now my husband will be working full-time from home directly in my workout room where he's on the phone all day and since I also work from home I have a very small window at lunch time now to workout, and today my son stayed home with a cold, monopolizing the living room where I could have at least have done a barefoot fusion workout instead. Frustrating!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise room, workout rooms, workout space