Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-16, 09:26 AM  
Pascal

Redoing Home Gym - Advice Needed

Hello. After a loooong hiatus, I'm getting back to working out. I decided to makeover my workout space as incentive. I painted over the weekend. Next to redo is the floor.

My favorite type of cardio is step. I have puzzle mats but they are ratty and old and indented. I am very interested in getting some sort of padded flooring to protect my joints from any high impact. I am also looking for something that I can use with the 'original club step.' It is a dedicated space so it isn't something that needs to be rolled up or moved, though it could be. Any recommendations? I did a search for flooring, and found some ideas (flexiroll mats, gym tiles, etc), but I am not sure if they can be used with a step.

Thank you!
Old 07-26-16, 12:40 PM  
muggle

Hey there! Congrats on coming back to fitness. I recently put down the puzzle mAts over the existing Berber carpet. I thought the carpet would be an issue but it's not! No slipping, stays together and my joints are happy! I do alot of step, kickbox, a lot of pivots or directional changes and there's NO problems! I love it.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 02:05 PM  
Pascal

Thanks, muggle. Maybe I'll simply get some new puzzle mats. Did you get yours online?
Old 07-26-16, 02:10 PM  
red1013

If your old puzzle mats are ratty, maybe just buy a new set to put over them? Extra cushion is always a good thing in my world. I have three layers of puzzle mats, but they're over concrete.
Old 07-26-16, 04:43 PM  
muggle

I did get mine online only because it was winter and I was being lazy! I didn't want to carry heavy stuff. They're the simple puzzle mats, black. Make sure you check the measurements of the space you need covered and the edge pieces help. Some pack of mats don't have a lot of straight edge pieces. I have to say it's made a very nice difference for me. I can do my workouts without having to pull an extra mat out for floor work if I don't want to. Plus if it gets dirty you can pull a single square up to clean it.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 12:04 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I have two of the Dollamur Flexiroll home mats:
http://www.dollamur.com/mma/flexi-ma...ial-arts.html/

I use them for all kinds of workouts, weights, TRX, body weight, jump roping, Wii Just Dance, Tai Chi etc. I do use my step on it but I do not do step workouts per se( use the step as a bench for chest presses, step ups etc.) Heavy equipment left on for any amount of time will leave dents in it and rip the smooth surface.
I love that they provide cushioning but aren't squishy, have a nice smooth surface that is easy to clean, are easy to roll up and put away or move into a different configuration.
I usually have two set up side to side so they form a 10x10 ft. square but when I want to do bear crawls I set it up so I have 20 straight feet of space to crawl without changing directions.
These mats were one of my best fitness investments ever.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-16, 09:15 AM  
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I have two of the Dollamur Flexiroll home mats:
http://www.dollamur.com/mma/flexi-ma...ial-arts.html/
These mats were one of my best fitness investments ever.
Hello! So, would there be a indent or space between the two? Do you think I could put a step on it, do a workout, then move the step off the mat/s after the workout?

Thanks!!

Tags
floor mats, flooring, home gym, step, workout space