Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-16, 01:51 PM  
PaulaZ

Love it! I have had my sand-filled fitness ball for over 10 years. Never needed to add air yet. It sits in the corner of my workout room on a riser from my step.

It's often an easy way to do floor exercises without pulling out my mat and getting down to the floor. Whenever a chest exercise comes up, I roll the ball out and do them lying on top. Push-ups on the ball are fun too...walk my hands forward as far as I want and go to it. I don't do crunches on the floor any more (bad for my back) but I find that doing them on the ball works just fine because I can lift my upper body without curving my upper back.

I use it for most seated exercises too...figure it's working my core and posture at the same time. Also, I do squats over it until I barely touch down, which allows me to squat lower with better form. That's why the sand-filled version works best for me...it doesn't roll away when I stand up. I put it between me and the wall for wall squats too.

If it popped on me, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Excellent workout tool.
PaulaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 02:01 PM  
alisoncooks

How does the sand versions work for videos that have you lift the ball or roll it with your heels? How heavy is it?

(I'm specifically thinking of those moves in the clip for Cathe's To the Mat.)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 02:07 PM  
PaulaZ

My ball has 5 pounds of sand in it. Easy to lift, roll, or use in a video. The sand sloshes around and adds some stability challenges to your muscles when lifting it overhead or resistance when rolling it in and out on the floor.
Old 02-04-16, 02:41 PM  
JENILU

I always hated mine, and finally got rid of it. It was always slipping out from under me no matter how much I tried to make that thing be still (before I ever had a yoga mat or anything I could use under it). Now so many workouts use them, I wish I still had one. Zuzka's Bunny Slope workouts for beginners, on youtube, uses them a lot. I am getting curious about all the brands here, just like the bunjee thread is making me curious about that. I need a whole new room added on to the house!

The rolling into the dryer was too funny Videofit!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 05:50 PM  
raeven

I think most of the sanded versions use 2-3lbs. It's just enough to keep the ball where it belongs, but you can still easily control it....rather than it having a mind of it's own. HIGHLY recommend the sanded kind if you are going to use one!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 06:15 PM  
PaulaZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeven View Post
I think most of the sanded versions use 2-3lbs. It's just enough to keep the ball where it belongs, but you can still easily control it....rather than it having a mind of it's own. HIGHLY recommend the sanded kind if you are going to use one!
I bought my Bosu Ballast Ball years ago at a fitness convention when they first came out with this sand-filled version. It weighs 6.5 pounds. So now I'm not sure how much of that is sand and how much is the ball itself. The ball is very thick and sturdy though and has held air very well. I highly recommend the sand version too, especially if you're going to use it as a desk chair so it doesn't wander away.
Old 02-04-16, 06:56 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

Nope. I don't like it but my dog does.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 07:52 PM  
Donna D

Yes, I love my stability ball. I don't have room for a rebounder. As someone who constantly suffers from PF it wouldn't be a good idea for me. Realizing the importance of the lymphatic system I do bounce on the ball daily. I do a 10 minute segment from Bounce Your Way to Better Health - http://www.amazon.com/Bounce-Goodman.../dp/B004H1UAC6

Another favorite is Kathy Smith's Rejuvenation Stay Firm Upper Body -
https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Rej...ody-p/1209.htm

Although Kathy uses the pill ball as she calls it (which is the same ball used in Barry's Bootcamp) the stability ball works fine with all the exercises in the upper body workout. I believe Alta and I both had the Barry's Bootcamp ball explode!

Occasionally I will do Suzanne Deason's Abs workout with the stability ball.

I had purchased an expensive FitBall several years ago and found it to be too hard. My favorite? The one that came with Stephanie Huckabee's Weight Watcher's Kit - Work Your Belly, Butt and Thighs. In fact, I purchased 2 kits to have the extra ball.
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 09:19 PM  
Lannette

Love my stability ball! Had my first cheapo walmart ball for more years than I want to admit. Then I realized that it was probably an accident waiting to happen. Switched to a burst resistant ball and couldn't be happier. I go for a time without using my stability ball but always come back to it.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 04:57 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
Yes, I love my stability ball. I don't have room for a rebounder. As someone who constantly suffers from PF it wouldn't be a good idea for me. Realizing the importance of the lymphatic system I do bounce on the ball daily. I do a 10 minute segment from Bounce Your Way to Better Health - http://www.amazon.com/Bounce-Goodman.../dp/B004H1UAC6
This looks interesting! I can't find any clips anywhere... are there some I am missing?
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball, fitness ball, stability ball, storage, workout space