Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-23, 11:15 AM  
cowfishpro

Questions about Hamlin D'Abell

Hello everyone,

I have been looking for something to help pull me in a bit, especially around the waist, and my revisit to Callanetics isn't moving things in a direction that is pleasing to my body.

Honestly, my core was the tightest and upper body the leanest when I incorporated Tracy Anderson strength routines into my rotations. I did a couple of her more gentle ones and feel, and even see a difference already.

However, it seems that Hamlin is making a resurgence, and that his moves are more controlled and purposeful than TA.

Some questions:

1) I see he has YT videos, but they honestly don't look like anything special. I haven't tried any, and I do realize that looks alone are deceiving. Are the YT videos good representatives of his packaged routines?

2) When I go the website, it looks like the offerings are limited. Maybe a dozenish workouts. I'm ok with that, but is there enough variety with only those offerings?

3) What kind of pulling in effect do these routines have? I would be especially curious to know how they compare to Tracy Anderson in that regard. Will the moves attack the waist/abs well enough to cinch them in?

4) Many of the routines look LONG. Can they be broken down into smaller parts?

5) It looks like he just demonstrates and doesn't talk, playing his own music. Do those of you who use his routines just silence the audio and play your own music?

6) Unfortunately, many of his cardio routines look high impact. My feet won't handle that. Does he have any low impact routines?

7) Where do you recommend someone new to Hamlin, but not new to barre, yoga, Pilates, or TA, should start?

8) Not directly related to Hamlin, but does anyone know the approximate US Dollar to Pounds exchange rate?

Sorry to be so long winded, but I appreciate it if you read this far.

Thanks!

~T
Old 01-29-23, 01:19 PM  
MoFirmer

Hey there! I have been intrigued by Hamelin as well! I saw YouTube video where she was talking about why she switched from TA to Hamelin. Then I remembered I had a web friend who had recently switched from being a die hard TA fan to Hamelin. She sent me a Facebook group link to a group dedicated to Hamelin. It has a 3 week free Hamelin challenge in it and you can decide which Hamelin is best for you as it is a bit of all of his programs. I am getting ready to start that. The followers there rave about the results. And that it is less taxing on your body than TA.

I'd check out that group.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-29-23, 01:24 PM  
MoFirmer

https://www.facebook.com/groups/422379991767776

Here's a link to the group. I hope it isn't against the rules here. If so it can be deleted.
Old 01-29-23, 02:30 PM  
carly

Vimeo has a much better selection of Hamelin's more recent videos -

https://vimeo.com/user4399340
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-23, 08:49 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Hi there, I just started following him again and am trying the 3-week rotation. I had tried a few single purchases before but either didn't click or got distracted with other things. However, I'm really enjoying this rotation now, and yes, the longer workouts can be broken up separately, done at different times of day, or just stop when you are ready. There is a FB post on this.

So far the cardio in the trial rotation seems to be low impact. He reminds me of an 80s aerobics instructor; I think he used to be one! In the rotation, he is also working out, sometimes there will be a student or two with him. I am thoroughly enjoying the 80s music in the workouts.

I would recommend joining the FB group mentioned above as there are reviews of different courses, and the admins can also help you. The longer Inch Loss classes seem to be a favorite for tightening and losing inches, and the model workouts have been described as a little harder. Most reviews say to start with Inch Loss Course 1 or The Model Workout Course 1. That's all I know and I'm sure there are others who can chime in with more experience with his method.

I plan to pull in one day of moderately heavier weights.

Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-23, 08:22 AM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfishpro View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for something to help pull me in a bit, especially around the waist, and my revisit to Callanetics isn't moving things in a direction that is pleasing to my body.

~T
Aw, I’m sorry the Callanetics isn’t doing the trick. I’ve been getting pretty good results from it, but my side body has always been weak. I’ve definitely noticed more of a “pulled in” look along my waistline, but “pretzel” has always been a difficult exercise for me and Callanetics pretty much does it in every dvd (that I’ve done so far).

Oh! I’ve tried to get into Hamelin workouts, but that whole streaming thing… I prefer dvds.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hamelin d'abell, hamelin d'abell method, hdm