Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-10, 03:32 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

TRX Ceiling Mounting Question

Has anyone mounted their TRX to the ceiling using a method other than the X mount that they sell? My ceiling is textured, so I'm not sure I could attach the X mount. But I think I could get a circle hook into one of the rafters. I just wonder if that would hold me.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 04:21 PM  
kimf
VF Supporter

That is a very good question! I have a TRX but have not been able to use it because I can't figure out how to mount it. There is a real lack of information on their website. I even emailed them a specific question about mounting in my basement and got no response (very poor customer service). I'm getting frustrated.

I looked at their X-mount but think it is overpriced. I think there has to be other options available at Home Depot, etc. In fact I think one of the reviews mentioned this.

Good luck and I'll be watching this thread!
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 02:58 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I'm just too afraid of damaging the textured ceiling in my rec room, so I've given up on that idea. My laundry room, however, has foam type things in the ceiling, so I pushed one up and found a beam I could wrap the TRX strap around. It's still not the perfect place because my laundry room is small, but I think I finally found a workable solution. There's no TV there, but I can bring the kids' portable car DVD player out for doing the TRX DVDs I have, or I can just do the workouts from the booklets that came with them.

As a bonus, I now have more motivation to keep my laundry room clean and clear too!
Old 02-12-10, 03:40 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Is there a local handyman type agency in your area? If so, you might give them a call and have them come and give you an estimate. Sure it'll cost money, but it's better to have it done properly than risk unnecessary damage to your ceiling.

I tried a the door thingie with TRX. I ended up having the replace the inner tongue part of the lock because it couldn't sustain the pressure I was putting on it when using TRX. I was using the heaviest door in my house too.
Old 02-12-10, 03:43 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Is there a local handyman type agency in your area? If so, you might give them a call and have them come and give you an estimate. Sure it'll cost money, but it's better to have it done properly than risk unnecessary damage to your ceiling.

I tried a the door thingie with TRX. I ended up having the replace the inner tongue part of the lock because it couldn't sustain the pressure I was putting on it when using TRX. I was using the heaviest door in my house too.
Does this mean you ended up getting the ceiling mount? I would like to mount mine as well since I don't have a strong enough door or any beams. I know on the TRX website, they do recommend hiring someone to do it.
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 02:31 AM  
ramonam

I ordered the ceiling mount during one of their sales. My husband installed one of the bolts, got busy with some work stuff and has yet to install the second. This was several weeks ago

If I had any idea what I was doing, I'd do it myself. Since I don't want to worry about it not holding, I'll continue to patiently wait. Here's hoping this weekend will be the one!
ramonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 04:37 AM  
bee1forfitness

I think that's a good idea to have a handy man mount the anchor, I don't think you need The TRX X mount to be able to use you TRX inside if you don't want to use the door anchor. I'm sure places like Home Depot or Lowe could give you ideas on what you could sub for the X mount, I've been able to use my TRX with the door anchor, I live in a classic old house with very old fashion strong doors, however I also use it a lot outside, like yesterday, it's more fun outside (I live in CA)
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 09:55 AM  
jaj999
VF Supporter

What does it come with? It's not clear on the website what anchoring stuff is included. It says you can attach it to a pull up tower, but it's not clear to me how. I'm trying to figure out if I need to order an extra anchor (either the door one or the x-mount) or if I can just hook it to the pull up tower I have.
Old 02-13-10, 10:18 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

It comes with necessary stuff to anchor it to the pull-up tower or over a ceiling rafter or tree. There is a home bundle that includes the door anchor. The door I tried it with wasn't very sturdy and there wasn't much room around it.

I have more than 2 feet of snow on the ground, so I'm not using mine outside anytime soon. But with all the TRX anchoring talk, I actually had a dream about it a few nights ago. I looked down through all my neighbors' yards, and everyone had TRXs hanging from their trees. I kept trying to get mine attached, but everywhere I tried on my tree didn't work.

I'm now trying to remember what the notes mean from the TRX class I took last August. It was so challenging, so I really want to remember.
Old 02-13-10, 11:14 AM  
jaj999
VF Supporter

Thanks Allison. You saved me some money, since I have the pull up tower. It's funny how things get in your dreams - I've found that the iphone games I'm playing turn up pretty often.

Tags
door anchor, dreams - weird