Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-04, 09:46 PM  
meggie
VF Supporter

Great pics and great report, Jane. I will third (fourth?) the comments on the chairs at Rain, too... Interesting; a very popular Asian-fusion restaurant in NYC is also called Rain (although it has a rather different vibe to it, from what I can tell in the photos). I wonder if they're related?

Someday I too will get to a workshop... LOL...

Meg
Old 07-25-04, 09:46 PM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

Wow Jane! I've been thinking about you, at the JF weekend. Thanks for the report and pictures, we were all eagerly waiting for them!
Katie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-04, 11:23 PM  
Aline

Loved the report and pictures Jane, you are quick. You and your "new best (John) Friend" LOL. Very cute about the Tour d'Yoga riding into Paris - that I know I could relate to cause I've been watching it on TV all week. A "bunch of big guys" for partners? How fun! If that ever happened to me I'd have absolutely no fear of trying *any* pose.

All the reports so far about JF are so positive that I'm wanting to go too, just to see... I'm most impressed that he projects "I'm a regular guy" vibes rather than guru ones. Akso the way you found yourself doing things you could not ordinarily do - a very good sign.
Aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-04, 07:12 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggie
Great pics and great report, Jane. I will third (fourth?) the comments on the chairs at Rain, too... Interesting; a very popular Asian-fusion restaurant in NYC is also called Rain (although it has a rather different vibe to it, from what I can tell in the photos). I wonder if they're related?

Someday I too will get to a workshop... LOL...

Meg
I was wondering about that too Meg -- I've eaten at Rain (NYC) a couple of times. The food is good, although a bit pricey. You're right the NYC place looks like it's based on a different design -- although still quite well thought out.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-04, 09:51 AM  
cmiyachi

Thanks for the report Jane. Anasura sounds great live - I've never done it live - only the 101 CDs which I really like but I've heard are very boring compared to live classes. I can only imagine....

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-04, 10:48 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aline
All the reports so far about JF are so positive that I'm wanting to go too, just to see... I'm most impressed that he projects "I'm a regular guy" vibes rather than guru ones. Akso the way you found yourself doing things you could not ordinarily do - a very good sign.
Aline - September, right? So are you still thinking of going?

I hope they have a levelled classes for you, a la Desiree. I'd be interested in hearing your response to John. I can't think of anything we did in our multilevel workshop that you wouldn't be able ordinarily do, but I bet the advanced ones would give you something fun to play with.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-04, 11:01 AM  
Aline

Sophie - yes, I applied for September here but haven't heard back so I can still be undecided. Plus I may not even get in. I requested the advanced one and since I have no verifiable anusara credentials, I put down the 10+ years of Iyengar yoga where they ask what your experience is. There are gazillions of local anusara teachers who will also want a spot and they (and their students) will have first priority, so who knows... I would kindof like to go but it won't ruin my day if I can't.
Aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-04, 11:23 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Aline - Big burly guy yoga partners are definitely the way to go. You would be happier in the advanced workshop, of course - if they split them up. I think you'd enjoy John. To me, he's a hippy baby boomer who rode his sincere interest in yoga out of Youngstown, Ohio and onto the world stage. What I like about him as a teacher is his well earned self confidence and his 37 years of experience. He makes you feel safe doing edgy stuff. I'm sure you'd recognize and appreciate that as well.

Chris - the anusara cds come across as kind of canned. One of the nice things about the workshop is he had the experience and chops to be able to improvise - a very "in the present, unrehersed" experience. If you get the chance you would enjoy him, I'm sure.

on the restaurant question. The "Rain" in Toronto is definitey a very different place, than the small, fun chain "Rain" in NYC. Toronto's Rain is a northern, asian fusion equivalent of say, Daniel, or a more upscale Vong. I think a special occasion trip to a very high end place is worth the price tag. We rarely go out to eat in Buffalo - the dh and I can prepare better food at home, but I definitely lack the imagination and skill set to do anything like what the chef did at Rain.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-04, 08:27 PM  
Lisa TV
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane C
Thoughout most of the workshop I partnered with a woman who was my age, and my size, who was serious about yoga, (and knows Lisa TV!)
Jane, I absolutely cracked UP that you ended up mat to mat with both my teachers! You were in great hands with Behnji as a spotter. I'm surprised they weren't assisting--they did so all thru his MI tour stops. Maybe they just wanted to go and be "regular" people at one of his workshops.

Lisa
Lisa TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-04, 08:38 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa TV
Jane, I absolutely cracked UP that you ended up mat to mat with both my teachers! You were in great hands with Behnji as a spotter.
Well, yes, except it wasn't Behnji - it was Georgianne. Behnji was the mat directly in front of mine - which was good, too. Behnji and Rick bring Altoids with them - I thought that was funny

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stacey milner-collins, yoga workshop reporter