Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-04, 05:01 PM  
FitnessFay

Here's another way to transfer fitness vhs to dvd...

without having to invest in a dvd recorder or buy software for your computer. There's a service that will do this for you. Their website is:

http://www.wts-tape.com/main.asp

Depending on the length of the video, they charge $40 per hour, I suppose this is 'per hour of tape' (not cheap, I know ). They'll also put in chapters on the dvd. It's probably better to just buy another copy of the vhs on dvd. But for out-of-print vhs or vhs that won't be appearing on dvd, this would probably be another alternative to choose.

The contact person for this is Christy Bowen. They have a toll free phone number and a link on their website, if you have any questions.

Fay

p.s. I haven't used this service since my vhs collection is not small, so I've decided to buy a dvd recorder instead.
FitnessFay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 05:05 PM  
Joe

Thanks for the info. But at that price, you might as well buy the fitness DVD's. It'll cost a lot less than having them transferred. Of course, for those valuable, only-on-VHS workouts, it may be worthwhile.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 05:18 PM  
Tanja

Those places usually do NOT duplicate copywrighted material. So they won't do the out of print videos, only home movies or your own stuff.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 05:21 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

I just did a google search on "vhs to dvd transfer" and found several services that do this. (one charges $30 for up to a 2 hour source tape).

I the past, I never thought this was legal, but one of the sites listed addresses this:

Saying that this type of duplication falls under the "fair use" exception to the copyright laws, which entitles you to make one backup copy of a video that you own and will keep the original material, do not plan to show publicly, will not distribute or sell, and (in the case of a videotaped television show), is not available for sale commercially to the public.

I'm going to do some more research on the 'fair use' exception, but it sounds reasonable to me...
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 05:27 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymRatt
I'm going to do some more research on the 'fair use' exception, but it sounds reasonable to me...
This Associated Press article posted to CNN.com mentions 'fair use' copies several times...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/03/tapeto.dvd.ap/

(this makes me VERY happy...now to find out who does this the cheapest...)
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 05:37 PM  
Joe

Thanks Ratt, now you've got me curious. But thanks for doing some of the grunt work for us!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 05:54 PM  
lollaleeloo

Let me know how this goes, Gymratt. I WILL have all my Callies on DVD some day.
lollaleeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 09:24 AM  
AngiTN

Wanna hear something funny or sad, depending on how you look at it? Wholesale Tape and Supply is just down the road from my office. They are even customers of ours. I never even bothered to find out what they do. I always thought they sold tape, the sticky kind. I need to see if I have any tapes that I think i must have on DVD. I know DH has an old BETA tape he wants transferred. I bet they can do that too.