Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-05-22, 07:58 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on getting some walking in today - may drive to a park to get that in. Otherwise planning on putzing around the house and garden and getting some weeding done. It's been pretty dry here that my lawn is crunchy and hasn't needed a mowing for a while. Weeds aren't having a problem growing though!

Laura, We had a lot of fireworks set off in our neighborhood also - I remember wearing Gus as a fur coat in bed these days . Our fireworks died down after about 10:30 pm - I hope they are done for the season! Sorry your vacation planning is difficult to do with MIL health issues to get covered. I hope something can be planned with DH's siblings taking care of MIL while you're vacationing!

Paula, enjoy your trip to San Luis Obispo - are you flying in? We're doing a class on silk scarf dying and painting and a class on coke bottle box making. Someone is bringing aprons and towels - I picked up rubber gloves yesterday. I'll need to pick up a Coke bottle and drink that this week! I've not been to the Biltmore when I was in Asheville - saw it's gate, but didn't walk the long path to the door. I hope DH checks out clean on the 7th!

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-22, 06:49 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today was my first day back to normal in a long time. This morning, I met with my in-person trainee and we talked about doing room layouts in PowerPoint. (She's an interior designer.) This afternoon, I had an infusion this afternoon.

As I was walking in from my infusion, my parents called to tell me that they both tested positive for COVID today. They took at-home tests last week that returned a negative, but given how they have felt, it makes sense. They said that they have felt like they have had bad colds. So, they will continue to isolate. Thank goodness that it hasn't been worse than it has been.

Then, DH's sister called to report on MIL's doctor appointment today. They put her on a new medication for anxiety. And ordered a couple of tests for other issues. And, given her anxiety, they suggested that we not try to do anything about the surgery other than schedule it (which makes sense), so hopefully we'll have dates for the surgery soon. But the big news is that her anxiety may get better. We'll see.

Paula - We've been to Wilmington, NC a couple of times. It's definitely worth going to. And there are other things to do in the area at the beaches as well. I look forward to hearing about your trip to San Luis Obispo. We usually go on vacation in the fall and/or spring, not summer, so we have some time to make decisions.

Anita - Weeds NEVER have a problem growing! Last night, Polly spent a fair amount of time on DH's lap, so he wore the fur coat. She also asked me for a lot of petting last night. She did okay and didn't hide out under my chair.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-22, 08:30 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 1 Push (Strength) followed by Yoga with Tim Yin Yoga.

Got a lot of errands done, got the baby quilt mailed off to my niece, got a pedicure, and got some shopping for basics at Ulta done. All of which took more time than it should. Oh, I also changed our hotel for our upcoming trip to San Luis Obispo. Not sure why I didn't do this yesterday but I looked at the reviews for the place we booked and they were all awful and I do mean ALL were awful. So I booked another place with good reviews (more expensive, of course) and cancelled the other place. Is it my imagination or have hotels doubled in price since the pre COVID days? Of course everything is more expensive. I mostly relate to gasoline and groceries and both have gone up alot. I think my state, CA, has the most expensive gasoline in the lower 48, I think Alaska and Hawaii may still be higher. Anyway, looking forwd to our short get away next week.

Anita, hope you got your walk in. Laura is right, weeds never have a problem growing. Yes, we are flying up to San Luis Obispo to the Regional airport there. We have a car reserved and we can leave our plane there with a fixed base operator (FBO) to provide security for a couple nights for a modest fee. We've did this trip a few times pre-COVID and everything worked easily, fingers crossed that will still be the case. Your craft class sounds like fun, silk scarf dying especially.

Laura, sorry to hear your parents have COVID. The only upside is maybe they will have greater immunity afterward. I am assuming they are vaccinated, boosted, and generally healthy, and will get through this OK. How has your DH's family fared with COVID - think I heard that WV had high cases? Of course cases are rising everywhere with things being more open and travel re-opening but severity is less since many people have immunity from vaccination or having had the disease. I'm glad Polly had you guys to help her through the fireworks last night. Our last dog hated them and we had to cuddle with her for hours. The dog before could have cared less, nothing much bothered her. Maybe I'll get to Wilmington some day. I'm coming out again in September - maybe we can do coffee again while I'm there.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 08:18 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on walking and putzing today - I kind of enjoy having a few days to myself before getting together with friends this weekend - it's my introvert self - this is my battery charging moment .

Laura, sorry about the Covid diagnosis for your parents. I started to wear a mask when attending the Latvian Song and Dance Festival in that there were tales of lots of new Covid cases there. I hope your MIL's anxiety does better on her new meds. I miss not having my fur coat .

Paula, I think lots of places are trying to make up for lost business during Covid years and drive the prices up. I am hoping workers are getting paid better also. Hope your new hotel rates better than the first one. Yup I got my walk in - went to a park that Gus liked - saw a crane, osprey, and squirrels .

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 07-06-22, 06:21 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I did three pick-ups today and went to the chiropractor. None of the pick-ups was very big, but I had to go to three grocery stores to get everything we needed now. Then, I came home and watched a movie and relaxed. It was HOT today, a high of 101 according to the temperature gauge in my car. Ugh. Polly came in multiple times today for petting, food, and, we think, to cool down. When it's too hot for the outside neighborhood cat, it's HOT.

My parents seem to be doing okay and improving. The COVID diagnosis came later in the arc of their illness. They are fully vaccinated and have the second booster shot, so that is good.

Paula - Everyone is traveling this summer and prices around here are really high. That's one reason why I'm sticking to our schedule of travel during the fall. Prices seem a little lower, although they're still higher than pre-pandemic. It's good you caught the issues with where you originally booked. WV has higher COVID rates now, but they are still way lower than here, where we live.

Anita - I know you have to miss your fur coat. I'm sorry you're without him. It's good you were flexible enough to wear a mask at the festival when cases started going up. I hope you started your batteries recharging today before the weekend!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 07-06-22, 08:49 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was a walk with DH, Pahla B Body Shaping Day 2 - Stretch, and Yoga with Adriene - Yoga for Flexibility.

Beautiful day so we went flying. All in all a good day.

Anita, wise to wear a mask at the festival. I wear a mask in crowded places, just feels like a good idea. Yes, I think hotels are trying to make up for lost business during the lockdown. But it does feel like gouging sometimes. I'm sure that walk made you think of and miss Gus, you enjoyed the wildlife for him. Enjoy your alone time.

Laura, hot here too but I don't think we hit 100. Glad your parents are doing pretty well, all thinks considered. I didn't realize NC was having high cases. New COVID cases in my county are down substantially from earlier this year. We had a spike in March but things have been coming down since then. We often travel in Spring and Fall too to avoid big crowds and higher prices. This year we, like everyone else, just feel like we want to get out.
Old 07-07-22, 07:22 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on playing Carcassonne, taking a walk, doing some yard work, doing laundry, and packing up for my trip tomorrow. Yesterday's walk was with my friends - I showed them my future home area and we walked around the lakes there.

Laura, Oy! 101 degrees! I think I'd melt with that! I kind of understand the price increases when traveling - will feel that a bit this weekend also. I don't know if prices will ever go down though - maybe stay stable, but no return to "normal" .

Paula, I'm happy to get out and do some traveling to see friends - I've missed it the last two years because of Covid. I probably wouldn't be out though if Gus were still here as I'd be taking care of him - I can't believe his surgery was scheduled three weeks from now . That's slow service!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 07-07-22, 07:41 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We hit at least 100 degrees today. It has been so oppresive outside. Polly continues to come in more than usual to cool down. We left her inside when we left the house today.

I had an in-person training session this morning and I took DH to his chiropractor appointment this afternoon. In between, I got a few things done around the house, mainly gathering trash and recyclables to be picked up tomorrow.

Anita - Have a GREAT trip despite the economic stuff with prices going up. Enjoy getting away. Yeah, I don't think prices will be returning to "normal", aka pre-pandemic. At this point, I'm hoping for a bit more sanity after the summer, even if it's a "new normal".

Paula - It's hard to know what is "high" these days with the Omicron variant. The positivity rate of tests in our county is at 15+% That seems high to me, but no one is reporting it as such. We're way below the last huge spike in January and above the low we felt comfortable at in April.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 07-07-22, 08:05 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B. Body Shaping Day 3. That's the only exercise I got done today. We had to leave the house early as DH had a medical appointment - he expected to feel badly afterward so I went along to drive. As it was he felt fine and I didn't need to go, but best to be safe.

Anita, you didn't say what your friends thought of your co-op area and grounds. I think everyone is wanting to stretch their legs and get out after two years of feeling confined due to COVID. As for the prices, I was surprised to see how expensive the hotel was but everything, everything, everything is more expensive now. I filled up my car today and paid $6.21 per gallon. It is odd to think that Gus would still be waiting for his surgery if that had worked out. Will you co-op allow pets? I'm assuming you'll be allowed to keep your finches and maybe a cat or small dog?

Laura, you guys are really in melting territory. Is this the first time you left Polly in the house alone? I doubt prices will return to what they were pre COVID but I do hope they come down some. In my county we have new COVID cases, of course, but the rate of infection is going down and the rate of hospitalization has gone down significantly. I'm going to get a booster right before I come out in September.
Old 07-08-22, 06:54 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on packing and heading down to Mineral Point, WI today. I'll be picking up a friend in SE MN and then hopefully meeting my bio-aunt in Viroqua, WI. I'm hoping all goes well - I hope to stop by a grocery store and pick up some flowers for my aunt. We'll be staying at a B&B in Mineral Point.

Laura, Eek on 100 degree weather! Hoping Polly is happier indoors! 15+% is very high for Covid, but I think this variant isn't as deadly as some of the previous strains. Still...

Paula, my friends liked the location of the co-op I'm waiting for. They were familiar with the park I'm near, but I took them through the second park attached to the one they are familiar with - they liked that! The co-op does accept two pets per unit - under 35 lbs. You do have to carry them inside the building though (or use some sort of wagon) - if you're on first floor you can access the outside directly for a dog without needing to carry them. Unless I train them to use the porch outside at night, I'm not a fan of doing a 2 am emergency trip outside for dogs living in a co-op. I'm not sure if they'll have a fenced area for dogs outside. I think it would be easier to have one or two cats inside and that doesn't involve letting them out for bathroom breaks. I'm looking at cats available at the rescue organization a few blocks from me, but don't want to pick up anything until after I move and see how things are over there. My previous cat left my birds alone - I like the finches keeping me company. I've dreamed of getting a corgi, but will have to see if that works out over there.

Waves to all!

Anita