Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-21, 04:18 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Shingles Vaccine

I tried for well over a year to get the shingles vaccine for my dh, he was on the list at the primary care's office. They only got TWO (you read that right!) TWO doses each month, so even if he was on the list, it could be years before he got it. I looked into it at a local CVS last year (was it last year? ... and they had it! so we both got it. (First dose Sept. of 2020)

I had a bad headache with the first dose, flu like symptoms and went right to bed. BUT. . . I also got my flu vaccine the same day, so I don't know which caused the reaction (or both). Then was a sore arm, but I was fine the next day (exercised & went to work).

Second dose had to be within 6 months of the first and I kept putting it off because of my reaction. BUT then came the Moderna vaccine. Then I had to time them as they recommended to NOT get the 2 second shingrix in between the two doses of Moderna.!!! I was still within the window of time, so I got the 2 Modernas by Feb. and then had to wait two weeks to get the Shingrix. Second dose? Sore arm, that was it.

It's a 2-shots and done deal. Not an annual thing. So I was soooo happy to have it done. I don't want shingles. The nerve damage and side effets in some individuals can last a lifetime. (as stated up post). !!! No thanks. Now I'm protected.

Good luck with your decision.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-21, 07:39 AM  
CabCalloway

I had the Shingrix shots in July and Sep 2020.
I felt like I was coming down with something within 12 hours of each shot, and went to bed early. Within a day I felt normal again. I'd say the reactions I had to the Moderna shots this year were quite similar.
CabCalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-21, 02:34 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I had side effects, but not extreme. For me, temporary side effects are better than potentially long term nerve pain.

I think I mentioned in the older thread that one friend got it on his face and nearly lost his vision. A friend of a friend got it in her lady parts and was in excruciating pain. Um, no thanks!
I have actually had 4 Shingrix shots. I got my first two doses when I was 50. By the time I was 60, they had come out with a better vaccine, so I got them again. Both time, zero side effects.

I am like you, I have seen several loved ones experience severe nerve pain from Shingles, and one in particular ended up with chronic pain that lasted the rest of her life (she was elderly). No way I was ever going to chance that.
Old 09-27-21, 08:32 PM  
acey

I turned 50 this year and need to go get the Shingrix shot (just so many other health issues, like 3 bad teeth, menorrhagia, gout, ugh!).

Please get the shingles vax. My father died in 2019 after getting shingles. He was 91. It hit his face so that he was in excruciating pain for 3 months before dying.
Old 09-27-21, 08:55 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
Then I had to time them as they recommended to NOT get the 2 second shingrix in between the two doses of Moderna.!!
Cleda, i love your beautiful avatar.

DH keeps putting off his shingrix, so he's finally going to do it next month. we had good luck with just calling the local Walmart - supplies are plentiful now. i was on the waiting list back in 2019 right before Covid hit.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-21, 04:55 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Bzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Cleda, i love your beautiful avatar.
Thank you so much!!!!
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-21, 08:15 AM  
donnamp

I have really been on the fence about this b/c my body tends to react to every vaccine. I'm not anti-vax by any stretch of the imagination - I received the COVID vaccines happily.

But it sounds like there could be some nasty side effects that to me, sound worse than the case of shingles I actually did have.

https://www.askapatient.com/viewrati...INGRIX+VACCINE

I know, of course, that people who had bad reactions are going to be more likely to post to a site like this as opposed to people who didn't react or didn't have what they considered to be a bad reaction. So, I know it is presenting the worst of the worst.

But, we did have a friend whose reaction to the first shot was so bad that his doctor told him NOT to get the second one. And interestingly, he developed a problem w/ his eye shortly thereafter...maybe a coincidence or maybe not?

If you have had shingles before, you can get it again - the chances are 1 in 3 which is about the same chance as getting shingles in the first place. My case was not horrific by any stretch of the imagination and it may be b/c I quickly got treatment for it and the anti-viral meds knocked it back before it could get worse.

I'm actually concerned that since I had it once, my body may react worse to the vaccine. But I guess that is something to ask my Dr. about.

Like I said, flu vaccine first...

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-21, 10:37 AM  
bfit

I was reluctant to get the shingles shot too (and I am not anti-vax in any way) because I had heard horrible stories about side effects. That's why I wrote here in the first place (I'm the OP) to ask about others' experiences. When I got the shot at the doctor's office I asked about side effects, and the nurse told me most people were just tired, and that's exactly what happened to me. I was tired for about 24 hours, and then I was fine. I also had a sore arm for a couple of days. I've heard much worse stories about having shingles than I have about the shot!
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-21, 11:11 AM  
donnamp

I know, and I think I'm on the fence partially b/c I had shingles and it wasn't bad....and some of the side effects sound worse than what I had w/ shingles. But, I was lucky I suppose and I did get treatment right away - and I'm sure that is what made my case so mild. The question is - do I want to chance it or not?

I didn't miss a day of work other than to go to the dr and pharmacy for prescriptions.

I do remember being tired, but I got shingles during a period of stress and that may have also contributed to being tired as well.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-21, 04:55 PM  
Diana3271

I just got my first Shingrix vaccine. I have had shingles twice. The first time it was undiagnosed and untreated for 6 months. I dealt with that pain for 8-10 years after. It seemed like forever. I was going through a lot at the time, my Mom had cancer and passed away. I was focusing on taking care of her, not myself. I got it again but on my neck. I woke up one morning with a rash on my neck. I thought, oh no way am I going through that again. I brushed my teeth, got cleaned up and went straight to an urgent care place, where I received treatment.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shingles, shingrix, vaccine, vaccine reactions, vaccines