Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-09, 08:12 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddjeansgal View Post
What I think is kind of funny is how this is about the injuries and training smarter and Cathe's STS looks to be filled with lots of impact.
Ironic, isn't it?

I agree. Especially since she seems to ignore the threads on her site requesting modifiers (so those who want to keep the all-out high-impact can, but those who don't have someone to work out with).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 11:21 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Ironic, isn't it?

I agree. Especially since she seems to ignore the threads on her site requesting modifiers (so those who want to keep the all-out high-impact can, but those who don't have someone to work out with).
I've always believed that there are very few VFers who do Cathe's workouts exactly as shown. At any age.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 08:48 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
My question is, what's the alternative? If we all sit in our recliners and gain weight, is that not itself going to lead to another set of injuries and illnesses?

Face it, bodies do age as they get older. That is going to happen whether you work out or not. Seems pretty self-evident, yes? So you can keep working out but work out SMART (longer warm-ups, longer cool-downs, more stretching, less impact, regular rest days), or you can throw up your hands and quit.

I'd rather be my (active) 46 years old than my mom's inactive 46 years old. I think if you compared my aches and pains to her you would find that mine are less.

Interesting that Cathe had knee surgery in 2006. I had no idea.
Awesome comments Susan! You totally nailed it.

I don't care if the woman in the 70+ age group (gotta love the body marking in triathlon!) I regularly see at my Boston area tri's has aches and pains due to training - I want to be her when I grow up! The alternative is not appealing to me at all.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 08:52 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta View Post
I've always believed that there are very few VFers who do Cathe's workouts exactly as shown. At any age.
Really? Why?

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 10:44 AM  
Bebop

I'm at the end of the boomers - 49 - (50 in December). Cathe workouts used to be my workouts to work up to. I now can do most of them but modify all the impact. I'm into Firms these days and circuits. I'll probably buy her new boxing workouts but pass on the others. I have to hand it to her - she's been able to keep up the pace but that is what she does for a living.

I listen to my body. On those days that I feel energetic I do a tough workout; on those days I feel less then athletic, I pull out an easier workout.

These days, my best trainer is my collie. True functional fitness. We fitness jog and play in the yard.

Yoga has been my saving grace. There is a pose for anyone and any modification. As I age I know I will never have to give up my yoga - just modify. Ofcourse, Mr. Iyegar, now in his late 80's or early 90's (??) is still doing all the poses he did when he was younger. Yoga teaches you to respect your body and not push to the point of pain. In the old days, I would try to keep up with Cathe and crew and pulled lots of muscles.
Now when it hurts, I stop or lower the weight.

I've made peace with my limitations. I'm in the best shape of my life but I'll probably never be able to lift as heavy as Cathe and that's okay.

I think we baby boomers have a hard time accepting the inevitable but as long as I'm still here and able to move, I will continue to workout in some capacity. I'll never stop moving or buying videos but I won't feel guilty about extra rest days when I need them.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 12:28 PM  
RedPanda

Good post Bebop!
Old 10-06-09, 02:13 PM  
steakhousegirl

Well, I'm a boomer and I believe in challenging myself all the time. I'm currently finishing up Insanity and I have never felt better. In my 20s and 30s I had all kinds of aches and pains. I was working out a few times a week mainly doing aerobics. Then I went through a number of years being sedentary. I had 0 energy and had achey muscles all the time.

I am in better shape now than I ever was. For me, and I stress, only for me the tougher the better. I won't quit unless I have to.

I always keep in mind Tony's comments in PlyoX where he says that jump training seems to be out of fashion but he finds it strengthens the body (paraphrasing here). I have had bad knees and one leg is slightly longer than the other (resulting in hip and shoulder pain). Since I've been working hard and challenging myself I have no pain, at all. The only thing that bothers my knees is high step so I workout on an incline when I do those types of workouts.

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 02:37 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhousegirl View Post
I always keep in mind Tony's comments in PlyoX where he says that jump training seems to be out of fashion but he finds it strengthens the body (paraphrasing here).
That's basically what Mike Robertson says in Bulletproof Knees, a knee rehab/strengthening program which I highly recommend. Mike recommends jump training to strengthen your knees once you are pain-free. There's an entire section in the manual on how to land correctly - apparently the problem with jumping for most people is not the jumping per se, but landing incorrectly.
Old 10-06-09, 03:13 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
That's basically what Mike Robertson says in Bulletproof Knees, a knee rehab/strengthening program which I highly recommend. Mike recommends jump training to strengthen your knees once you are pain-free. There's an entire section in the manual on how to land correctly - apparently the problem with jumping for most people is not the jumping per se, but landing incorrectly.
Yikes! Is it worth the very hefty pricetag?
Is it the be-all and end-all of knee rehab/strengthening?
(Then maybe I'll bite).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 04:00 PM  
steakhousegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post

Yes. One of my favorite things about Insanity (and there are many) is that Shaun T is always talking up form i.e. landing softly with knees bent, jumping from the lower position and using your abs.

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ageing, boomers, plica