Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-09, 04:09 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Diagnose me

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my calf . . .

About a year ago, I had pretty bad Platar Facitis. After a few months of trying to treat it on my own, I finally went to the podiatrist. He gave me one stretching exercise to do 8 times a day, he gave me a boot to wear for several hours a day and he gave me a pair of "Superfeet" inserts for my shoes (I also went to a running store and got the proper shoes for my mechanics problems). After about 8 weeks I was completely cured.

I have continued to use the superfeet when ever I wear athletic shoes (tennis, running, aerobics, walking, etc). I have also continued with the stretching exercises (but not the boot). About 2 months ago I was doing step aerobics and felt a slight pop in the upper part of my right calf , almost to the back of my knee, but not the knee. It's the same leg that had the PF). I stopped doing step. The calf was sore for a few days, but nothing awful. A week later I went to run and about 10 minutes in, I got the same pain in my calf. I took about 6 weeks off from running and step. Today I went out and tried to run again and 15 minutes in, I started to get the same pain and had to stop. During the 6 weeks off, I did do floor aerobics (kickboxing) and tennis. I also did the stairmaster, step mill and spinning. I did not have any pain or calf trouble at all. I have continued to do the stretches and wear the Superfeet.

I have not had pain in my heel (like I did with the PF) but the calf hurts. As I walk around on it and it stretches out, it stops hurting. But once I sit down for a little bit and get up again, I have to stretch it out again.

Any idea what is going on??? What kind of doctor should I see? Go back to the podiatrist? Go to my PCP? Go get a massage???? I'm happy to take time off from running and aerobics, but I want to do whatever rehab I need to so that I can run again. I would have thought 6 weeks off would have been enough. Any one have any ideas?
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 04:21 PM  
loulou

Sancho,
There is good information from people who have all sorts of health problems on:

www.healthboards.com

Sounds like you need to start with an appointment with a Physical Medicine Doctor.
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 04:57 PM  
jmander

Sancho,

I'm not sure if it's the same problem as what my boyfriend had (it sounds like yours might be higher up in the calf) but take a look at this thread and the runner's injury website referenced in it. Good luck.
Old 02-15-09, 07:02 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

You might email Cathe. Didn't her injury that delayed Butts & Guts etc. start with a something that popped at the back of her knee? I know it took her a while to get properly diagnosed. Good luck.
Old 02-15-09, 07:49 PM  
mspina

I'd suggest that you go to your primary care physician, and he'll likely refer you for PT. Or, if you'd rather try to get it somewhat "fixed" on your own, I'd HIGHLY recommend you find a massage therapist that you like. Look for sports/athletic massage - you may have scar tissue built up there that is causing you issues, and regular massage will help break it up. PT will likely involve stretching, strengthening and massage - you can do the 1st 2 on your own at home, and just need to find the massage part of the equation.

I have had calf issues for the last year - under control, but always something I have to think about. Good luck!

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 08:03 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Sancho. I'm sorry that you are injured. Since it has persisted for a couple of months, I think you should make an appointment with an orthopedist, who can order some tests to see what's actually causing the problem and tell you how to treat it. Hope it heals quickly.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 05:55 PM  
britt
VF Supporter

calf sprain

Did you ever figure out your trouble? I had the same thing happen to me on a pivot turn during a step workout. Same thing happened when I tried to run on it. From what I can figure out, it is a calf sprain, which comes from acceleration or abrupt changes in direction. Described as micro tears in the belly of the calf muscle. They say recovery can take 2-3 weeks if it is a mild injury. Have been at a loss as to what to do with myself. Have rediscovered my rebounder & am debating a spin bike. Anyway, just wanted to see what ever happened with your injury.
britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 06:24 PM  
T2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
You might email Cathe. Didn't her injury that delayed Butts & Guts etc. start with a something that popped at the back of her knee? I know it took her a while to get properly diagnosed. Good luck.
Yes, wasn't it called plica syndrome?

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 06:28 PM  
T2B

Sancho - sorry about your injury.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 06:29 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
I went to the podiatrist and he sent me to a sports massage therapist. She cured me. It was a very, very painful process to get my calf massaged (deep tissue). I literally screamed obscenities at her. She laughed and said she has had the same injury and she knows how painful it is to get it massaged out. I needed about 5 30 minute sessions (30 minutes was all I could take). She also gave me some stretches to do. She gave me a gradual schedule to get back in to running. I did great for about 6 months.

But now I'm having hip issues. I was able to work them out using a foam roller for a few weeks, but now the foam roller isn't working as well. I'm thinking of going to see the sports massage therapist for this.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injuries, plica