Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-10, 01:53 PM  
shoegoddess

Well this SUCKS!! Re: my knee and menicus tear

Just got back from the orthopedic Dr. for the meniscus tear. He gave me a cortisone shot which didn't hurt at all. Trying to avoid surgery. I asked him if I'll be able to do lunges, squats and high impact cardio again. He said "Time will tell". Didn't like the sound of that. I'm bummed I will continue to follow his orders so hopefully we'll see. The tear is minor but he said small tears are sometimes harder to heal and sometimes people with larger tears do better
Has anyone had a meniscus tear? Any advice?

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 02:01 PM  
sophie kat

((Cindy)), I just wanted to sympathize and say I'm sorry. I hope you heal better and sooner than that orthopedic doctor said.

Hopefully someone here will be able to give you some good advice.

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 02:22 PM  
Sollamyn

I have a minor tear, I guess, because I've been living with it for several years now (since about 2005, maybe?). There are certain things I can't or don't do. When it was first diagnosed, it was painful, so I backed off just about everything for a few months. I walked, of course, did my upper body and core workouts, but not a lot of lower body stuff--other than physical therapy. I went to physical therapy for several weeks and still continue to do the prescribed exercises years later. I think because of the p.t., I saw gradual improvement and have been virtually pain free, for the most part, for the past couple of years, at least. I still don't do high impact, although I can throw in a few plyos and jumps here and there. I also don't do step workouts any more, although I'm tempted to try them again to see if they'd bother me. I pretty much just have to try out workouts and if they bother me, I don't do them. On, and I've pretty much gone back to doing most strength and yoga again (intermediate level). Lunges and squats, etc., don't really bother my knee much. Granted, I don't do a million reps. Moderation is fine, though, for me.

My advice is to get physical therapy, when you are able to tolerate it, and stick with it (and be patient! P.t. can be really boring!). Also, learn to love walking. It may be the only cardio you can manage for a long time, until your knee heals.

Good luck. You'll survive, although I know how disappointed you must be feeling right now.

Donna
Old 09-13-10, 05:29 PM  
adrien_73

I don't have a meniscus tear, (i don't think...) but I am dealing with a long-term knee issue so I can definitely relate to what you are going through! My ortho doc said only walking and no lunges...but he didn't say for how long & didn't schedule any sort of follow-up so I don't know how long I'm supposed to carry on with this lack of activity.

Not sure I can offer any advice, but I certainly know how hard it is. I preordered a lot of workouts that I won't be able to do.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 06:36 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

(((CINDY))). I hope that you and your doc will find the best way to heal your knee.

I would recommend a second opinion. I have a torn labrum in my left hip. One doctor wanted to rush me in to surgery. Another said to wait and do physical therapy. I waited and I'm glad I did.

The more info you can get, the better!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 06:42 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegoddess View Post
Just got back from the orthopedic Dr. for the meniscus tear. He gave me a cortisone shot which didn't hurt at all. Trying to avoid surgery. I asked him if I'll be able to do lunges, squats and high impact cardio again. He said "Time will tell". Didn't like the sound of that. I'm bummed I will continue to follow his orders so hopefully we'll see. The tear is minor but he said small tears are sometimes harder to heal and sometimes people with larger tears do better
I had quite a large meniscus tear. Got it from participating in a Turbo Kick certification which took place in the basement of a private home which she used as a yoga studio. Doh! Sticky mat = no pivoting. By the end of the certification the pain was excrutiating and I literally had to crawl up the basement stairs to the main floor. I went to the doctor the next morning and he said ice it and iboprophen. I suffered with it for over 5 months before I finally went for an MRI on the advice on another orthopedic surgeon. The doctor said that the meniscus had torn and rolled into a little ball so that everytime I walked or moved it caused pain. I had surgery and that evening was the first time I slept with my knee extended and I had no pain.

My Orthopedic Surgeon said no more squats EVER.

Good luck Cindy. I really do know your pain.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 06:47 PM  
pfhanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegoddess View Post
I had a meniscus tear in my right knee years ago. I did not ask my doctor if was large or small. I get cortisone shots because I now have osteoarthritis in my knee. I cried when I went thru all of this but now I am at peace with it. Before I found out I had knee trouble I did hard core Cathe, and every other high impact step I could find. I don't know if this caused the problem? Anyways, I found that walking (I walk up down/hills and do a lot of speed walking) really helps a LOT. I do my squats and lunges but with lower weight or none at all. I think I have gotten better results with lighter weights. For example I do Fat burning fusion now which I never would of before. Even today I did Cathe's muscle endurance but with very light weights for my legs. I should mention I still do Firm but my fanny lifter is my 8" step (used to be the 14" one).I don't know which workouts you were doing before but you can always find some that you can work with, and ways to work around your sore knee. Don't get upset. I also do dead lifts for my legs which don't bother the knee at all. Good luck, Pam.
Old 09-13-10, 07:56 PM  
dmlarue1

the problem with the meniscus is that it doesn't have a good blood supply, so especially if it's more to the inside of the knee it will have difficulty healing.
Larger tears sometimes go right to the outside of the knee joint so they get a little more blood supply
Most MDs will have you hold off on lunges, squats and high impact because you could make the tear larger with those activities and most MDs will want to see if they can manage it conservatively without surgery.
Even when it heals you may have to be more careful with your knee. If they remove part of the meniscus you will have less shock absorption and be more prone to arthritis. If it heals, it may be at risk for reinjury.
Make sure to follow your doctor's advice...but always get 2nd opinions.
I feel your pain I can't do high impact because of a herniated disc in my low back...it doesnt bother me but the doctor doesn't want the impact going through my spine.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 08:04 PM  
intelsana

I have a meniscus tear in my right knee and an inflammed plica. I am getting surgery next week Monday for both. My meniscus tear is towards my inner thigh so there is very little blood flow. I have had this for about a year and I want the surgery already! I can't do any lower body exercises and I can't even walk for a long time without causing knee pain.

I waited a year before getting surgery (the pain just got too unbearable for me and I against pain killers). I would suggest waiting it out and make sure that the doctor you are seeing has experience with knees. The first doctor I went to told me that there is nothing wrong with my knee and that since I am young, I will heal! My current doctor has been performing knee surgeries for 15 years and he looked at the same MRI as the old doctor and said I have an inflammed plica + he ordered a new MRI which found a meniscus tear.

I don't mean to scare you with my story - you may not need surgery. Definitely try PT first and see how it goes. Good Luck!
intelsana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 10:23 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

I had surgery this past February for a tear in my right knee. The knee became very unstable and the MRI showed a serious tear. The surgery went well. I can't say the knee is 100% yet, but is probably 90% and improving. The surgery was well worth it.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fat burning fusion, injury, knee pain, knee pain cure, knees, lunge-free, meniscus tear, plica