Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-07, 11:16 PM  
Jean@125

bulking up with joyce vedral?

Hi all,
Has anyone found that they have bulked up doing Joyce Vedrals workouts?
I like them and have been doing them for about 10 weeks, but I feel bulkier in the thighs and across the shoulder area. Thanks
Jean@125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-07, 08:54 AM  
carolb8

I do find that Joyce adds muscle to my shoulders and arms, but that's something I want and need. I tend to bulk very easily in the lower body, so I always do Joyce (and every other lower body workout) with low or no weights. I haven't found that her workouts bulk my lower body more than others; on the contrary, she tends to do a lot of body-weight only lower body exercises.

Carol
carolb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 04:08 AM  
Hej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean@125
Hi all,
Has anyone found that they have bulked up doing Joyce Vedrals workouts?
I like them and have been doing them for about 10 weeks, but I feel bulkier in the thighs and across the shoulder area. Thanks
Hummmmm.... I don't think it's possible to do Joyce without building muscle, and she does always say that the goal of her workouts is to build "mini-muscles" but she has different workouts, some that focus more on strength/muscle growth (e.g. Fast Forward, BUG, or ones in her "no loose skin rotation") others focusing more on definition (e.g. Definition). You could try to use lighter/no weights on the lower body work and really lighten up on the shoulder work (I think Joyce shoulder work is a little overkill myself), or switch to more high-rep, low-weight workouts like Definition or the Just Joyces.

Joyce considers the eating plan really key--if you build muscles but don't get rid of fat, I guess a "bulkier" appearance might result... Also, Joyce doesn't really stretch. If I don't do my own stretching in addition to her workouts, I feel "bulkier" just because I lose flexibility and feel somehow clumsier. Would adding stretching help?

I like the roundness and hardness that results from Joyce workouts, but I guess it depends on what constitutes "bulk" for you. Also, as with all workouts, with Joyce YMMV.

HTH,

Mary
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 12:20 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

do you all have any pictures of this bulking up? I thought women couldn't bulk up and it's bothersome to me to hear ladies on exercise programs talking about not bulking up. Do you mean you get more muscle mass? More definition? How do you bulk? Please explain.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 03:32 PM  
Jean@125

Cheryl,
For me its been a tighter feeling in my shirts in the shoulder area and while I do feel a "hardness" in my thighs that wasn't there before weight training I also feel a bloated fatter feeling in my thighs. I think I am going to try the suggestions of the poster before yours and try lighter no weight workouts and stretching and see if this makes a difference. So I guess I am not totally convinced the workouts alone are causing the bulky feeling.
Old 11-20-07, 04:50 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Okay. I understand. I think it's muscle growth. They can get larger but I didn't think enough to be called bulking. Maybe more defined. I think I said already, didn't I? lol

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 03:26 PM  
Jean@125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej
Hummmmm.... I don't think it's possible to do Joyce without building muscle, and she does always say that the goal of her workouts is to build "mini-muscles" but she has different workouts, some that focus more on strength/muscle growth (e.g. Fast Forward, BUG, or ones in her "no loose skin rotation") others focusing more on definition (e.g. Definition). You could try to use lighter/no weights on the lower body work and really lighten up on the shoulder work (I think Joyce shoulder work is a little overkill myself), or switch to more high-rep, low-weight workouts like Definition or the Just Joyces.

Joyce considers the eating plan really key--if you build muscles but don't get rid of fat, I guess a "bulkier" appearance might result... Also, Joyce doesn't really stretch. If I don't do my own stretching in addition to her workouts, I feel "bulkier" just because I lose flexibility and feel somehow clumsier. Would adding stretching help?

I like the roundness and hardness that results from Joyce workouts, but I guess it depends on what constitutes "bulk" for you. Also, as with all workouts, with Joyce YMMV.

HTH,

Mary
Thank you Mary. I do believe I need to stretch more and I have not really thought much about my "eating". Do you think you have to diet along with Joyce's workouts? I do agree that her shoulder routines may be overkill especially for me I was having shoulder pain during and for a couple days afterward while doing these routines. I have since cut back to the lighter weights.Are the "just joyce workouts lower weight and lower rep work.
You sound like a Joyce fan. Have you found success in the way of building those "mini muscles with her plans.
Thanks again Jean
Old 11-21-07, 05:27 AM  
Hej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean@125
You sound like a Joyce fan. Have you found success in the way of building those "mini muscles with her plans.
Thanks again Jean
You're welcome . I AM a Joyce fan, though I love Cathe, Tracey, Amy, and appreciate their professionalism more than Joyce's quirkiness sometimes. Appearance-wise I have gotten great results from Joyce rotations, which DH always notices. I don't follow Joyce's weights but use weights that are challenging but I can handle with good form at Joyce's lifting speed, and if she is going just too fast, I pause the DVD (I almost never do WTME with the video playing because it is just too fast for me and I don't want to risk injury or overly frustrate myself). I'm also careful not to follow Joyce's form, but substitute proper form as demonstrated by e.g. Cathe.

I think a "bloated fatter feeling" can result from weight training when harder muscles push existing fat out towards the skin. It can't hide in/near the muscle as much. Does that make sense? I got this when I first started using weights with The Firm-- hardly the "visible results" I was looking for! But it went away gradually as I lost body fat, and, as Joyce would say, my "beautiful muscles emerged" LOL. I'm more of a Jen Carmen than a Stacey Millner-Collins body-type wise, and my Joyce results always reflect that.

As for the eating side, I don't "diet" per se, just see where I can make higher nutrition/lower calorie substitutions in what I eat and cut down on certain habits (e.g. eating with DH in front of the TV in the evening). I have gotten good results with Joyce doing this, so "dieting" was not necessary, but "watching" what I eat is always critical for me. I have a taste for sweets and fats and sometimes like to eat when I'm not strictly physically hungry . I follow a lot of Joyce's nutrition advice (none of which is earthshattering-- more like common sense), but couldn't honestly say I've followed her "diet" and I have still lost a lot of fatness. If I don't watch what I eat I never lose fatness no matter what exercise programme I do, though, especially now that I'm not in my 20s any more.

The upper body workouts in "Just Joyce" are full pyramid and I definitely use lower weights due to the greater number of reps here. There is a lot of information about different Joyce workouts in the reviews section and the "Everything Joyce Vedral" thread.

HTH

Mary
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 07:38 AM  
Bebop

Are you confusing bulking with muscle growth?

I really can't see "bulking" with Joyce because she has designed the programs for strength and muscle growth but not bulking. Most of her programs don't have enough rests inbetween sets and move quickly.

I suppose ifyou go super heavy and use her newer slow and heavy programs - maybe.

For what it's worth - when I do a Joyce rotation - I get nice tight muscles - especially in my shoulders and bicep growth but not bulk. I don't really use heavy weights ever on lower body but even when I use weights, I just get tighter and more definition.

Maybe what you are seeing is the temporary swelling in the new muscle growth?

I get great results from Joyce but I usually switch back and forth between different instructors for muscle confusion and not to get bored.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 10:07 AM  
Jean@125

thanks for replies

Thanks everyone. I am going to try more rotations and less weight especially in the lower body. I am going to start a stretching routine as well .

Tags
stacey milner-collins