Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-21-21, 09:10 AM  
Margot

Pat - That's interesting about how people started eating beans on toast for breakfast. Growing up, I used to have beans on toast for a snack meal but never for breakfast. I expect other families did. You used to see beans on toast on cafe menus as a breakfast item and I remember years ago taking an early morning car ferry between the north and south islands of New Zealand, where a lot of the truckers were eating them for their breakfast. This was like 5 am!

Sandra - I really like Jane Adams; especially the scenery and wildlife. I must do one of her practices this week. Good thinking in getting in your Christmas shopping early. Shopping during the last week before Christmas here is a nightmare. You would think that the grocery stores were going to shut for a month and not for just one day!

Pam - The bug zoo sounds fun. Ice cream sounds even better.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 11-21-21, 11:32 AM  
cyana

Happy Week-end!

I had a Paine insomnia night and was up around 3:45, so I started cooking and haven't stopped! I started a pot of chicken bone broth yesterday, and left that on the stove overnight. I decided I'd use most of it to make a batch of lentil-kale soup, which is on the stove right now. I had 2.5 quarts of extra broth, so that's in the refrigerator. I made a batch of seed crackers, roasted JSP's and beets and made 2 quarts of turmeric-ginger-Scotch Bonnet pepper apple cider vinegar. Oh, and a batch of elderberry syrup, also. I'm pooped!

Has anyone ever had fermented black garlic puree? I put some on my seed crackers this AM - it was SO good. You can order it from multiple entities on line, including Amazon.

Today is my second Holden breath work workshop, so I hope I'll be totally worn out and ready to hit the sack bright and early tonight. And hopefully I'll be able to stay awake for the workshop.

Did anyone see the eclipse this week? I didn't get up in time, but the Beaver Moon was absolutely gorgeous. I did not name that full moon, just for the record.

Beth - I got a kick out of those wildlife pictures, but must admit I had a "Yikes" moment with the first one! I liked the dove with the leaf in the face. We used to refer to doves as "flying pigs", as they could empty out the bird feeders I had at my previous house in no time flat. Hope you had good luck at Goodwill and enjoyed your "linner" yesterday.

Margot - My hands are orange and slightly purple after the cooking marathon this morning. One of the more recent Miranda videos I did on ETV had the baby bird move. You're plowing through Season 14!

Sandra - Good for you to have your groceries through the end of the year. I was going to send DH to Costco Tuesday morning, but that might have to wait until the following week. Truly, he doesn't mind the crowds nearly as much as I do. I also like Jane's practice where you can see the bug crawling on her foot.

Paine - Yuck on having to go to 4 markets - that's a full day's work right there!

Pam - The bug museum sounds like it would've been fun. I know what you mean about needing some time alone. Before DS was born, DH had to work on Sunday mornings and I always enjoyed having that time to myself after working all week. I'm sorry to hear about the flooding in your area, but relieved to know that you're safe.

Pat - Oooohhhh.....I'd never heard the phrase "slide down a razor blade" before. I'm wincing just thinking about that, LOL!!!!

I must run and check on my soup - I'm ready to have everything cleaned up so I can chill for a while before my workshop starts. My refrigerator is going to be bursting at the seams!

Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-21, 11:59 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Happy Sunday morning! We just finished a big brunch (no beans, LOL) and I'm gearing up to get that flat finished and sparkling. Yesterday featured:

~ YWK 10 Minute Morning Yoga Stretch for Energy Boost plus affirmations
~ A very nice meditative beach walk
~ GYM for 20 minutes arc trainer and 10 treadmill
~ 8,124 steps

The Kassandra was nice, a bit of yin, a bit of core and a bit of hatha, done in 10 minutes.

Beth - Frankenworkout, that is cute! I hope your pillow helps with the headache.

Paine, I have to go back to the store for some key ingredients I forgot, sigh. What are you having for your vegan Thanksgiving?

Sandra, that's a wonderful Jane Adams practice - I'm glad you treated yourself to it.

Pam - hope everything is getting back to normal at home.

Margot, this is getting to be a spooky chat with Frankenworkouts and stepping over babies! (channeling Alice Cooper)

Yum, Cyana your lentil kale soup sounds fantastic. That fire cider sounds like it could stop Corona virus in its tracks. The black garlic was really good? Enjoy your workshop and I hope it is effective.

Waves all and enjoy the remainder of your weekends.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-21, 12:45 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

This morning my 6 year old grandson wanted me to take him to the park so we walked to the park. He wanted to see the water tower in our neighborhood so we walked past that. It was a nice walk! It is supposed to be 80 degrees today. It is very pretty outside.

Have any of you ever eaten Honeynut squash? I had not been able to find it anywhere but my sister found it and bought me some and it is soooo delicious! It looks like a baby butternut squash but it is much sweeter than butternut squash and tastes better than butternut squash (IMO).

Sandra, I also love Jane's Lying Poses For Flexibility practice. It's really sweet to see the deer in that one.
It's great that you finished all your Christmas shopping! I still need to get that done. Since covid started, most of my shopping is done online but I still go to the market once a week for groceries. I don't like crowded stores either!

Pam, I have never been to an insect zoo! What a fun experience for your granddaughters.

Pat and Margot, I have never had beans on toast!

Pat, I remember the saying "slide down a razor blade", LOL!
My son-in-law likes to cook so he is making the traditional Thanksgiving dinner (turkey with all the typical Thanksgiving side dishes). He wanted me to make my mom's cranberry sauce recipe and I did that already. For the dinner I'm also going to make a giant colorful salad, baked potatoes, vegan gravy and corn.

Cyana, I have empathy for your insomnia. It just so happens that I woke up at 3:45am this morning too. You were very productive this morning--good job!
I have never fermented black garlic puree but it sounds good. In fact, I have never fermented anything before.
I didn't see the eclipse--I didn't know about it!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-21, 01:41 PM  
cyana

Paine - I'm not familiar with Honeynut squash, but they sure sound interesting. I looked them up and found this link on All Recipes: https://www.allrecipes.com/article/honeynut-squash/ . Did you eat the skin? I'm all for easier to cut (I feel like I need to get a machete or something after those big butternuts sometimes!) and more nutritious - more beta carotene and vitamin A. Eighty degrees sounds wonderful. We're supposed to have colder temps for the next several days. I sure hope my camellia flowers come through OK. I didn't ferment the puree - it came that way (in a little jar). Speaking of fermenting, I was talking to a lady (don't know her name, but I see her at the market almost every Saturday morning), who was buying some baby ginger yesterday and said she planned to ferment it. I asked her how she was planning to do it, and she was still researching. Sounds like me and my various kitchen adventures. I told her to let me know how it turns out. Sounds like you and your family are going to have a delicious Thanksgiving meal.

Must run - need to get myself together before my workshop starts.

Old 11-21-21, 02:00 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, yes I ate the skin on the Honeynut squash and I liked it. My sister bought the Honeynut squash from Trader Joes.
YES, some of those squashes are extremely difficult to cut raw! With a large butternut squash, I will microwave it first for about 3 minutes and after that, it is MUCH easier to cut! Make sure you poke it a couple times before you microwave it so it won't explode.
Camellia flowers are beautiful!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-21, 09:39 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, after stressing out about Xmas this year, I finished all of my shopping in a flurry of online ordering last weekend. Today a friend and I actually exchanged gifts, since we had bought each other things that we could enjoy during the holidays.

Paine, I'm so jealous of your 80 degrees! Looks like we will be stuck in the 40s for most of the next week - with the exception of Thanksgiving Day itself, which will be in the mid-50s. I was actually thinking about going meatless for Thanksgiving, but then I remembered that part of the family meal is a version of Italian wedding soup, which is basically a chicken based soup that has tiny meatballs.

Pat, eventually I had to break down and take my migraine med. I also had a little holiday cheer - a drink called "Tipsy Reindeer" (at the chain restaurant Applebees, where we had our linner).

Margot, I actually have not tried that particular practice from Kate V - I'll have to add it to my list! I think she adds a lot of interesting transitions in her practices. She also teaches in a way that's very familiar to me, as the studio where she trained locally was an Anusara studio; the first studios where I practiced and my YTT teacher all had origins in Anusara too.

cyana, I hope you enjoy the workshop!

Hope everyone has had a restful weekend; yay for the short work week ahead!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-21, 11:52 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: Qi Gong For the Arms, Wrists and Hands with Lee Holden. This morning I walked outside about 1.75 hours.

I'm trying to move away a bit from weights (my favorite!) and spend more days doing things like stretch, yoga, gi gong, rehab/prehab, core work.

Cyana: You'll have to tell me which routine it is where Jane has a bug on her foot!

My family is having a small Thanksgiving lunch -- just myself, my brother, my niece and grandniece. However, my niece will be housesitting a nice home situated on horse property, so we are going to eat there. Be a change from my condo! I'm looking forward to visiting the horses, and I also understand there are kittens in residence.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-21, 08:39 AM  
cyana

Good Morning - quick pre-work post and run.

We focused largely on the nose and sinuses with the breath workshop yesterday and worked more on making sure we exhale completely (harder than it sounds). Afterward, I gave myself a thorough "knocking" with the hand massager and slept fairly well.

This AM I started the day with an hour of breath work and plan to do Lee's live class this evening. Hopefully I can work a little Stealth Fitness in at some point during the day.

Sandra - I will do that Jane video bug research over the holiday this week. Can't wait to hear about your Thanksgiving dinner at the horse farm - I'm sure your grandniece will enjoy that. We did some of Lee's wrist and arm work in the workshop yesterday, working all the way up the shoulder and getting the breath into the ribs - felt so good.

Beth - Hooray that you finished your shopping! I just need to snag a couple of things, so hopefully I can wrap that up this week. One of the teachers at my neighborhood studio trained at an Anusara studio, but I must admit her classes weren't my favorites.

Paine - I didn't know that trick about the squash - will have to keep that in mind, as I have several huge honking butternuts. Camellias are beautiful - and their evergreen leaves are a bonus.

Must run - waves to ALL!

Old 11-22-21, 10:34 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning, happy Moan Day! I just got my COVID booster, wish me luck.

I had an hour long gym workout of recumbent bike, weight machines and dumbbells. Feeling it today.

Your meal sounds nice, Paine - very colorful. It must be a relief to have SIL taking some food prep off your hands. I have had honeynut, yes it is yummm! But my coop has not had them yet this year.

Best to all!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote