Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-22, 07:26 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - You Aren't Paid for Having a Head and Hands, But For Using Them. 9/4

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-22, 07:47 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Another wonderful cool day! Nothing much planned for today other than putzing and a nice walk. Some kind of trouble had the state fair evacuated last night after 10 pm! Yikes!

Vantreesta, how are you feeling today? Did the dizziness pass yesterday? Cool that you are close to the Wildlife Science Center - what would you volunteer there for? Animal care? They have lots of educational and store hours also. Our DNR license prevents us from having much public interaction with our patients - sounds like this place allows that?

Laura, gotta admit it, I haven't been to Taco Bell in a loooooooong time - likely over ten years! I saw that Downton Abbey film in the theater - I think it may be the last one in the story... I think my wallet developed holes from a little good luck token Adelija gave to me to carry in it . Remember to edit in the new title in your list - it's in this post: Crone Cronies - It's Hard to Save Money When Food Is Always Flirting With Me. 7/31

Paula, I don't think I could turn on the furnace when it's so hot outside! I'm sure your quilts are beautiful - little "flaws" are nice to show a real person worked on it, not a machine! I might get a wrist wallet from Etsy - pretty hard to find them in stores nowadays.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 09-04-22, 12:53 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today does not feel like a Sunday. Don't know why... Probably because yesterday didn't feel like Saturday. It has been a lazy day so far. I need to do a load of laundry and cook a pizza for DH for dinner. Other than that, we'll attend virtual church this afternoon and I may work on the gift tags some more. It's nice to get rid of a bunch of scraps to make something I'll use. I also promised Mom that I'd give her some.

Paula - I'm glad you got a lot done while DH was out. Hopefully, you relaxed after that. Yeah, neither of us could believe that DH would do okay with Polly. In thinking back to his history, he wondered if he had previously interacted with long-hair cats? Regardless, she does affect his allergies some, but his medication takes care of it and he hasn't had the parade of sinus infections we feared.

Anita - Yeah, it has been forever since I have been to Taco Bell, too. I used to enjoy it when I was much younger, but don't see the appeal now. I'm glad someone is having cool days. You must be in the dip in the jetstream.

Vantreesta - I hope you are doing better!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-22, 07:54 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 20 Walking with Weights and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Groceries and food prep today. Some gardening also, not as much as usual because it was too darn hot to be out there for long.

Anita, A cool day is sounding good to me right now. Actually I go to Taco Bell somewhat regularly. TB and Subway are easy to find vegetarian and non dairy options if you want a fast lunch. Subway is my first choice because they have so many fresh veggies to load on the sandwich but TB is my always my second choice. Good luck finding your wrist wallet. Having recently been on a similar mission I know it's harder than you think it should be.

Laura, funny how easy it is to get confused on what daay of the week it is once you retire. I have those days, especially on Fridays, when I can't seem to remember what day it is. I am so glad things have worked better than anticipated for your DH to live and love Polly. You too of course but I think the worry was for his allergies.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-22, 09:44 PM  
Vantreesta

The dizziness is finally almost completely gone tonight, thanks. It's been a real bummer of a wknd stuck on the couch when the weather finally cooled off a little for a couple days. Back to 80s next week, I think. Anyway. I have had vertigo in the past, usually with nausea, but thankfully no nausea this time and it felt different somehow. I don't know. I get migraines sometimes and they suck but I'd rather one of those than lasting dizziness! I hope I will be able to do everything I want this week without a recurrence.

Anita, we're actually not close to the wolf center, that's why we never looked into volunteering. So I don't actually know if they take volunteers or what they do. We just love going and seeing the wolves and other animals and raptors. They have events but so certain hours when anyone can go visit and bring dogs on leash. Chianna refused to look at the wolves or howl with them even though she howled with sirens at home. Cyric, on the other hand, is Mr. Tough Guy and stares the wolves down. He's a smart boy normally but apparently his "street" smarts need some work! Chianna loved watching the bears.

Paula, my mom was and grandma still is that way with their sewing and quilting too. My mom made some of my Halloween costumes and she would fuss over little flaws that I didn't see. I guess the great thing about haunted houses is you want them to look scary, rundown and imperfect! Since no one complained about it last year I will post pics in the Total Fitness forum and post a link here since I can't post pics here.

Laura, what sort of gift tags do you make? My grandma has labels that she sews on every quilt with her name, .maybe made with love by B or smthg like that. Despite the fact that she doesn't like Halloween she and my mom and aunt made me a queen size Halloween quilt that I love! She and her sister also made me an over-the-door yoga mat holder out of the leftover fabric.

The sewing gene skipped me, apparently, but my grandmas taught me to crochet and my mother-in-law and great aunt helped me get better.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-22, 07:47 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on putzing around today, taking a walk and playing spades this evening. I'm working on slowly bringing plants in for winter - making sure I'm not taking bugs or spiders in with them - luckily, snakes in containers would be very rare here!

Laura, I'm confused what day of the week I'm on also - today especially as it's kind of like a Sunday with the holiday. I'm glad DH and Polly are truly getting along with each other and his allergies . We'll be warming up later this week, the cool over the weekend. I'm hoping these will be the last of the near 90 weeks for this summer - bring fall!

Paula, I'm not a fan of either Subway or Taco Bell - haven't been to either in a loooooong time. I don't go out much for meals, but try to hit local producer's restaurants or food trucks when I do these days.

Vantreesta, Sorry about your vertigo - hope you can find some answers for what's causing it or help managing the symptoms! Wow, I wouldn't think a game farm would accept dogs at it seeing the animals! Some staff take their dogs to WRC, but they remain detained in the office area. You're lucky to have relatives that did crafty stuff and taught you - my mom hated that work! My mom's mom did some, but never taught me - nothing on my dad's side of parents. The Girl Scouts taught me some of these crafts like crocheting, embroidery, and weaving.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 09-05-22, 09:14 AM  
Vantreesta

Anita, here is the link for the Wildlife Science Center. https://www.wildlifesciencecenter.org/

My mom tried to teach me to sew but I just never clicked with it. I wish now I had at least paid enough attention so I could fix things or do my own alterations. I took about a dozen pair of pants to my aunt this summer to have them shortened, but it wasn't as easy as just cutting them off and hemming bc I didn't want to lose any of the flare leg. We got creative and they actually turned out good, can hardly tell unless you look closely. The summer before that I took more than a dozen pair of jeans that needed patches. Good thing she loves me! My mom taught my brother and me how to cross-stitch when we were kids. I enjoyed it but didn't stick with it. She also taught me how to embroider but again, I didn't stick with it. I used to make jewelry too but haven't really done any for a while. My biggest creative love is baking!

As far as the dizziness, I've been trying to track if the regular spells might be precursor to migraine. I do have a slight headache today and need to take smthg for it. But I ran 2 1/2 mi on Thursday when the real feel was 88. I was dizzy when I finished that but it went away. So I don't know if I just never got my body rebalanced after that.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-22, 09:51 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Happy Labor Day! The only labor we are doing is changing the sheets on the bed and washing the covers. Other than that, we'll hang out and watch some TV and I'll do some more crafting. My lower back has bothered me a lot recently and I've had more pain other places. I'm thinking I need to talk to my rheumatologist about changing medications or other things I can do for the osteoarthritis.

Anita - Sorry you're getting the heat again. You'd have to be more careful about snakes in containers here.

Vantreesta - I'm making tags to put on gifts with the To: and From: fields. We are always running short of them and I figure I can make a bunch out of my scraps. We used to get them for free in mailings from organizations that wanted money from us, but not anymore. I'd love to see the pictures of what you make, wherever you post them.

Paula - I'm glad that Subway and Taco Bell give you good options. About the only fast food we do is Chick Fil A because they can feed DH.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-22, 09:22 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Happy Labor Day. Good evening. Workout this morning was Yoga Melborne Yoga for Upper Body then Travis Eliot Full Body Yin.

Kind of a lazy day, I did get two loaves of pear bread baked, went to Calif Pizza Kitchen for lunch with DH, and finished my quilt top. Maybe tomorrow I'll get it pinned.

Vantreestra, glad the dizziness is beginning to lift. I used to get migranes too but they were hormonal and went away with menopause. My Mom made some of our Halloween costumes too. I won the best costume one year in the costume she made for me. My grandmother loved to crochet and made delicate lace borders on all their pillowcases. Let us know when you post the pictures. I used to make clothes and was able to take in and let out items. Somewhere along the way I forgot how. I have some items I'd like to alter but I can't figure out where to begin. I may take them with me when I go to NC to visit family and get my sister to help me.

Anita, is it just me or does it still feel like summer where you are too. I don't see or feel Fall yet. Even though this is a moderate climate here in SoCal we still get that Fall feeling. It's still too darn hot to think about Fall, we're all still in shorts and sandals. We don't have any food trucks around us and I'm lazy so some days fast food is my go to. I'm surprised a Wolf Farm would allow dogs, even on a leash. Vantreesta's dog must be brave my dogs were too chicken to go somewhere like that and not shake all over. You can still learn to sew/quilt, it's never too late.

Laura, hope you had a relaxing day and got some crafting done. I've been having pain in the back of my neck again. It wakes me up at night sometimes. I've been putting off going to see the doctor, I was hoping it was a stretched muscle but now I'm thinking it's arthritis.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-22, 08:23 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Yay! First day after Labor Day! School has begun and kids are getting picked up by buses. The State Fair is over and I can drive north again past it to get to my grocery stores without big detours! We'll be hitting 90 degrees Thursday, so not thrilled with that - I want seasonal temps in the mid-70s! I'm slowly bringing in houseplants for the season - so far got the big houseplants in - one has a chirping cricket that sang last night - oy! I can't find it in there to get it out of the house - don't want to use an insect killer as it's right next to my finches and they chew on the plant. Hopefully it will pass in a few days... I've got my orchid table set up downstairs, but waiting for temps to drop outside before bringing them in. I forgot about my Spades game yesterday, but looked back on email since I didn't get a call and some others couldn't make it, so it was cancelled - whew! Today, I'm planning on taking a walk and hitting the grocery store.

Vantreesta, I used to sew a bit in junior high and high school. My mom had a sewing machine at home and I'd use it for various projects, but I think it got taken to Goodwill or tossed as it wasn't around when I looked for it when my parents moved. I've never been in the mood to buy another machine. I think I have some friends that have sewing machines I could borrow if needed, but I just haven't brought any more projects like that to existence. I used to do lots of cross stitch, but now seeing the details in the patterns kind of drive me crazy.

Laura, I hope you find some answers for improving your comfort with the meds you're taking. I'm still using some of the free "To/From" tags I got in the mail from charities - they send about 50 and I use about 4 a year - they'll be around a while...

Paula, Sounds like a nice lazy day! I'm seeing the fall sun patterns and the light they make in the trees - some have started to turn color just a bit, more from the drought than the seasonal weather. I'll be celebrating after the last hot day! Hopefully this Thursday will be the last of those! Sorry about your neck trouble - hope you can get some help for it.

Waves to all!

Anita