Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-16-22, 03:44 PM  
amoodygirl

Hi everyone!

Yesterday, I managed an XY Flex workout - this is a download I purchased years ago when Buti was really big. These workouts are kind of a tabata-type workout. There's XY Flex, XY Flow, and another XY whose name escapes me.

I've been working my buns off on the front garden. I originally asked our lawn guy if he could do it but he's so busy and couldn't commit to a time frame so I decided to do it myself. Right now, I've removed all but 3 of the plants. The rocks and the mat under the rocks are a real pain to remove but I've made a lot of progress and now just waiting for the guy to pick them up next weekend. Then we remove the last 3 plants and the mats, seed and water! No more weeding or gardening for me.

I was shocked at how heavy Irises are! I had three Iris plants and, when I dug them up, I couldn't believe how big and thick they were! I had to put one in each yard bag because they're so heavy!

I was outside at 7 am this morning finishing up. I've been careful to do this early or late because of the heat. I'm very proud of myself! If I didn't workout, there would be no way I'd be capable!

I will be back to my regularly scheduled workouts tomorrow as I've done all I can so far.

Donna: Sounds like your DD is a procrastinator like my DH. I'm the opposite and it drives me insane! All through school, I always got my work done first, play later. DH - the exact opposite and up all night writing his papers which were due the next day. Sigh....

Pat: Love hearing about your beach adventures. On another CT note: a friend of mine has a bobcat in her yard - in Wethersfield, CT!!! She posted pictures on FB and it didn't even register that it was a bobcat! Have you seen any in your neck of CT? Would scare the crap out of me. I love them but from a distance!

Summer Breeze: Antsy is a good thing! Looking forward to hearing about your follow-up on Friday.

That's about it. I'm pooped. My recliner is calling me!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 08:42 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I'm still on the Self Magazine workout kick - these will be nice to do in the winter when you need some bright scenery to look at.

Today was-

Self - Trim & Tone Fast DVD - w/ Kimberly Spreen. This was set up like a 10 Min Solution workout w/ different segments (probably 5-10 min in length). The segments were:

- warm-up
- Legs
- Back
- Arms & Shoulders
- Chest
- Core
- Total Body
- Cool down

I would say it was more upper body focused than lower and more focused on endurance - so high rep/lower weight.

The total body segment was one that was tricky and included some type of movements that I know are not good for me - like doing a front raise w/ a squat. I ended up using no weights for this section and that worked fine. I think I could do it in the future w/ some light wrist weights but I would go heavy on it b/c it just wouldn't work for me. I think the Total Body segment done w/ light wrist weights would make for a good first segment to warm up. I also skipped through some of the core work - certain core moves on the floor just don't work for me either. I prefer to do standing abs these days and maybe some stabilization stuff on the floor but very limited crunches and roll up type moves.

I am not sure, but i think the DVD is programmable to play in the order you choose, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, it is nice getting through some of these oldies!

Pat - I have DVDs of these workouts, but I think some are on You Tube. Glad you had a nice time w/ DS!!

Diane - oddly, when it comes to actual work for school my DD is organized and gets it done w/ minimal drama - I think it tends to be things she is uncomfortable or uncertain of that causes her procrastination. I can understand that, I think it is human nature to avoid things we think are going to be difficult, but usually once you get started and do it you realize it wasn't that bad. I think she procrastinated b/c she wasn't sure what to take and rather than try to find out she just didn't do it! UGH!

Summer Breeze - how are things??

Waves,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 09:53 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! I'm having a couple of funky days here. Yesterday was low key:

~ LWR Posture Challenge Day 11
~ 15 minute Kassandra evening yin
~ 3,905 steps

DH called me yesterday afternoon that he sold his old LeSabre to the tow truck driver who rescued him from rush hour traffic. It needed a new fuel pump and gas tank but the only ones he could find in junkyards were rotted through, and they don't make parts for that model. That project almost didn't justify the cost, so he's on the hunt for a used car. And we are floored at the price people are asking for a used heap!

Wow Diana that's some functional workout. Doesn't it make you feel proud that you invest in your fitness every day? I dug out irises shortly after we bought the house. Those rhizomes get invasive and big! I have not personally seen a bobcat but neighborhoods not far from me that are closer to the woods are spotting them. We have been visited by fox and coyote. I'm asking for a critter cam for Christmas.

Donna I'm preferring standing abs, too. You feel it all through the core. Perhaps Lucy as converted us.

Good morning to Summer Breeze!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 09:57 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

[I]Good morning!!

I'm hanging in there in the home stretch hopefully. My DD has been away on vacation for the past week so I've actually had to do a lot of things for myself that I was just letting her do for me and I think it's been a good thing. It made me see there's a lot more I'm able to do than I thought. Of course my DS has been coming by and taking out the garbage and recycling and things like that but overall I'm been very self-sufficient which is encouraging.

PAT, sounds like a lovely time spent with your DS. Good workouts. The next follow up is this coming Friday. It will be 5 1/2 weeks post surgery(even though it's over 9 weeks since the fracture) so I'm thinking the cast won't be coming off just yet but I'm thinking the time must be near.

DONNA, I have always enjoyed Ellen's Self workouts. I'm glad you're enjoying the staycation. Yeah Monday will be a rough one for you {{hugs}}

DIANE, wow you're doing a lot of hard work on your lawn. I'm very impressed at your accomplishments but please take care. I hope that recliner served you well.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!
[/I
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 11:37 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi ladies! I didn't get much done in my funk yesterday other than day 1 of Lee's Qi Challenge. I had a nice massage in the evening and slept like a rock, and feel much better today.

Summer Breeze, it's good to hear you are improving on self-sufficiency. That must give you a more empowered feeling. Five and a half weeks in the bag! Best wishes for tomorrow's visit.

I'm in the middle of a boring transcript [roll eyes] and have to scoot - best to one and all!
Old 08-18-22, 11:44 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Continuing on w/ Self....

Self - Slim & Sleek w/ Ellen - this is mainly a cardio workout - mixed impact, but I kept it low w/ the modifier (Debra?). There is a little ballet in the beginning and a short weight section at the end. Beach scenery - the same as Bikini Ready Fast.

I may get a CS in later today - I haven't done any Essentrics yet this week.

Pat - yes, the used car prices are crazy - I think there are still a lot of shortages for new cars and that drives up the price. we actually have 4 cars for three drivers, one is my mom's. DH wants to sell one, but I'm sort of pushing to keep a spare for now due to the shortages. One of ours is a 2008 w/ a ton of miles on it - so it may go at any time and it would be nice to have a "spare" w/out the panic. My DD is using the 2008, but if it dies I can give her my mom's old car to use. She commutes to school for now.... Yes, LWR converted me to standing abs - some of those Pilates moves tweak my lower back - which seems to be counter-intuitive since allegedly Pilates is great for back health.

Summer Breeze - glad you are doing more! That is a good sign. I hope you get good news at your follow up.

Diane - I hope your project is wrapping up successfully!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 08-19-22, 09:24 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

TGIF, woo hoo! Good morning everyone. Yesterday featured:

~ Qi Challenge Day 2
~ Ellen's 7-Day Workout Challenge, Fusion Bootcamp
~ 6,725 steps

Fusion Bootcamp is the sixth and least favorite so far. It's a good workout 45 minute workout but was somewhat repetitive and the music wasn't very good. Something about the two background exercisers aggravates me. Pretty sure others felt the same when the DVD program was released, I'll go look at reviews. One of the ladies looks like she would rather be anywhere but there, and neither has that "Ellen Energy" I'm used to her backgrounders having.

Donna, I don't blame you for hanging on to that spare vehicle. The prices are insane! His price range is $5,000-$6,000. These days that's for over 175,000 and needs major work.

Waves all!
Old 08-20-22, 07:35 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Happy Saturday! I enjoyed three back to back Jason Stephenson meditations just now. It started with a chakra alignment with singing bowls and then YT flowed two more in a row, which I didn't argue with.

Yesterday was just a low key stroll at the beach as the sun set. It was more for head clearing and meditation than fitness.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 08-20-22, 09:42 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

The cast came off yesterday! Woohoo! But I'm still non weight bearing for another week. I'm in a boot but at least I can take it off to shower and sleep. After a week I can start to put a little weight on my injured leg with the aid of my walker/scooter. When I go back in 2 weeks hopefully she'll give me the go to start PT or soon thereafter. She couldn't see the fracture anymore so presumably it's healed but the bone still takes 6 to 12 weeks to completely re-form so that's why I still have to be very cautious.

PAT, the meditations and beach walk sound rejuvenating. Wow I had no idea used cars were at such a premium.

DONNA, nice job with Ellen. Pilates can tweak my back too sometimes, mostly forward bending moves.

Hi DIANE!!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-22, 02:41 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I wrapped up my Self Magazine videos yesterday w/ a lower body workout (something about "Sexy Legs" in the title, I can't remember it's exact title!) w/ Violet Zaki. It was probably my least favorite of the workouts I did this week from Self - it started w/ some standing unweighted leg exercises, as far as I can remember now it was squats, lunges, etc. Then there was a cardio section - although it could be done low impact, it was demonstrated at high impact - and no modifier - then there was a weighted leg section that included some balance type exercises (which seemed to fit better w/ the "unweighted" category) as well as some other exercises like squats/lunges, etc. It wrapped up w/ some floorwork. The outdoor scenery was nice - same location as Kimberly Spreen's Self workouts.

Today, it was back to Ellen - I did:

Serene Strength
Pilates Mix

I enjoy mixing these two together for a 40 min workout. Pilates Mix does not include crunches, roll-ups, etc. It is about half standing/half floor.

Summer Breeze - glad the cast is off!!

Pat - the sunset stroll sounds awesome!

Waves, Diane!!

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Donna

Tags
gall bladder, heartburn, margaret richard, standing yoga