Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-17, 01:37 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Cathe Fit Split review thread

Thought we could post first impressions, reviews, comments on the new workouts in one thread. Eager to read everyone's thoughts!
Old 12-29-17, 06:37 PM  
alydinva

I, too, am looking forward to reading early impressions! My copy is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, but i won't be able to do any of the workouts until Sunday.
alydinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 08:08 PM  
shoegoddess

I won't get mine until Tuesday

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 11:28 AM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegoddess View Post
I won't get mine until Tuesday
Check your tracking! Mine were originally scheduled to arrive on Tuesday and this morning it says they are out for delivery!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 11:41 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Yes! I wasn't expecting mine until Tuesday but they arrived today.
Old 12-30-17, 04:04 PM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
Check your tracking! Mine were originally scheduled to arrive on Tuesday and this morning it says they are out for delivery!
My tracking hasn't updated but fingers crossed 🤞

-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
Old 12-30-17, 04:21 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Did Shred Cardio today. I'm annoyed enough with it that I didn't tack on Push Day, which I'd intended to do.

This is a Hiit workout, reminds me of Shock Cardio Hiit 30/30 or 40/20, Ripped with Hiit cardio, etc. in both intensity and style. After a step warmup, there are 12 cardio blasts with a series of moves using the step and sometimes the floor as well. Each blast is repeated multiple times, followed by a recovery/march in place before you're on to the next blast. As an example, Blast 2 is knee off the side of the step, two jacks on the floor, knee off the back of the step, plyo jack, two jumps up onto the step, power 3 on one leg, change lead leg and repeat. Some blasts have fewer moves; one of the later ones is lunges off the step alternating "swim" arms and "pulldown" arms. All blasts have high impact moves, though I modified all over the place.

Good points: the workout is short, athletic instead of dancy, and is modifiable if you want to take out impact.

Bad points: Cathe's cueing is not good. For the above Blast 2, she tells you beforehand you're doing knee off, jacks, knee off, but everything else is cued on the fly during the first time through. She does this REPEATEDLY during the workout, either cueing only the first couple of moves of a blast or cueing as you're starting the first move. Or she gives you the full rundown - "we'll do four wide jumps, after four wide one narrow, squat thrust into a pushup, ready?" and she's off, while my brain is still going, "wait, what?" Me and my pause-rewind became good friends. Music is unmemorable. And I miss Amanda in the background; Jen does not have Amanda's form or range of motion.

I did the workout on a 6" step, modified a lot of the impact and would say I got a solid intermediate workout. I'd need to go to 8" to jack up my heartrate, but a couple of the blasts have fast-enough footwork - and LOTS of jumps up onto the step - that 8" might be pushing it.

Overall, it's a decent workout and I'll be much less pissy about the cueing when I've done it a few more times. It's nice to have another short Hiit workout to add to my collection but there is nothing new or innovative about this one.

And a quick note on the Fit Split case: it's a four-DVD case with two overlapping DVDs on each side, so you have to remove the front DVD to get at the back one, like THIS CASE. I will replace it with a better one.
Old 12-30-17, 09:04 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegoddess View Post
My tracking hasn't updated but fingers crossed 🤞
Mine arrived in N Calif today, hope yours arrived too!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 09:13 PM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
Mine arrived in N Calif today, hope yours arrived too!
No luck Tuesday it is

-Me

-Eleanor Roosevelt

-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
Old 12-30-17, 09:25 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I also did the Shred Cardio/Push workout. ITA about the cueing on the fly. That doesn't settle well with me when these are "blasts" and missing one or two reps means you miss too much of the sections, which are short. The choreography combinations are pretty basic so it's not a major problem IMO. I'll get used to it, and I guess I should be previewing, but I don't. I agree that it's a decent workout, but I think the intensity is less than the HiiTs from the Shock Cardio series. I used a 6" step.

I did do the push part of the workout. The cueing again was lousy as far as timing. I had to pause a number of times to get the correct weight and set up, since I really don't want to miss 2 reps when there are only 8-10 total in each set of exercises. Again, I'll get used to it now that I've done the workout. There are 3 sets of two exercises in each grouping, and the weight I used was close to Cathe's except for some of the shoulder work since my shoulders can be a bit wonky. She overworks the shoulders, IMHO, but I think she has always done that.

I also hate the case. I originally was going to do the low impact cardio/metabolic workout so I took it out of the case and then couldn't get it to go back in the same way. I didn't intend on using a different case, but looks like I will have to since I can see myself scratching a disc.

This one will not have a dread factor for me at all, and once I'm accustomed to what weight I want to use, I can see myself using it frequently. It was a solid workout, not killer intense and easily modifiable. So despite most of my comments being negative, I actually liked it.

Tomorrow I'm going to do the Pull phase workout.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience

Last edited by cataddict; 12-31-17 at 11:28 AM. Reason: oops!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, fit split, fit split reviews