Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-04, 01:44 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

What was your experience as a newcomer to VF?

Hi everyone

I have seen a lot of comments in several threads lately about newcomers to VF, and I thought it might be neat to talk about this. What was your experience as a newcomer to VF? Was it good or bad and in what way? How did you find VF? Did you start posting right away or did you lurk/read the FAQ/explore the site first? What were your first posts about?

I found VF the summer between third and fourth year university, so that was about 6 years ago. The forum was a lot smaller then. Everything was on VHS. There was no trade forum---you would post your trades on this special form, and Wendy would put up a digest of all these posts every Tuesday. I always arranged my work shcedule that summer so I was home on Tuesdays and could pounce right away because it was definately one of those early bird gets the worm type things.

I think I had stumbled across some Joyce Vedral books earlier that summer because I was living in a tiny apartment that was not air-conditioend, and a giant bookstore which WAS air-conditioned was on my way home. So I spent a lot of time hanging out there. Anyway, I made some tiny forays into exercise with this book, then saw the Tae Bo infomercial, did a search on the net for Tae Bo and found the VF reviews. I cheaped out and bought the Kathy Smith Kickbox, hated it, then found a whole set of Firms in the used book store and hated them too. Turns out they were great trade fodder and I traded two of them off for the Tae Bo, which I loved. I am still sentimental about that workout. I have the dvd now and gave the video to my sister, who enjoys it and uses it now. I forget who sent me that trade, but whomever you are, if you are still out there---thank you! You helped both me and my sister and your long-ago video is still has a happy home with someone who appreciates it.

The forum was, of course, a lot smaller then and I was warmly welcomed. I imagine it would be different now, coming in with more choices to sift through, a bigger forum, and trades that can happen on days other than Tuesday! I hope you newcomers are finding your way okay.

So that is my story :-) How did you find VF and what was your experience as a newcomer like?

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 02:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I was channel surfing and stumbled across the Firm's first infomercial. It convinced me that I should try strength training. I was primed because I had reached one of those points in life where I knew I needed to make a change and I was trying to figure out what it should be. Since I never order the first thing or time I see something, I jumped on the Web to investigate strength training in general and videos specifically. That's when I stumbled across VF.

I read and read and read, both on the Forum and in the reviews. At some point, when I felt like my head was about to explode with all the information I had found here, I posted a message asking for help in deciding on new videos. I was hesitant to do so because I have never participated in an online forum and I felt really stupid. So, I posted a plea for help in the newbie section and people immediately responded with concrete suggestions, some of which I took. I followed up with questions about how to modify and about how to continue expanding my exercise program. People were so nice and actually listened and answered my questions. I'm someone who has to understand something to feel comfortable and people here made me feel really comfortable.

I posted for awhile in the Beginner's check in and learned a lot. After awhile, I felt I needed a change and looked around and ended up in the Cardio Cross Trainers check-in. They have become a group I look forward to interacting with every week and have massively influenced my exercise decisions.

I've now been here a little over two years. It has been a blast!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 02:15 PM  
Sophie

Cool thread!

I am racking my brains trying to figure out how I heard about VF. I bet it was through the Cathe forum or Firm forum or something like that, because I can't think of any other way I would have heard about it. I think I started reading in spring/summer 2000, but probably didn't post till many months later.

Anyway, I remember being quite overwhelmed at the amount of knowledge, and the obvious friendships that had developed through the forum. I was quite agog at the idea of actual ROAD trips to meet video presenters!

And it goes without saying that I was awed at the amount of videos that existed, VFer's detailed knowledge of their contents, their production, and the value of the workouts themselves.

I think I finally delurked during a question about Canadian postage and started posting regularly when people started talking more about yoga

Now it's as much a part of my day as a morning cup of coffee - a day without VF feels very strange to me

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 02:24 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

I had read in a magazine about VF for reviews and was reading that for years. Finally earlier this year ventured into the Forum and lurked for a little and then joined. Even then read more for a little while before my first posting. Can't even remember what it was but have found everyone here very helpful and willing to share their knowledge and experience to help a fellow vidiot. Being one for so many years it was like finding a home here with others that have the same obsession. Just wish I had found it years ago. It is the greatest site and a wonderful group of people!!

Marie
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 02:30 PM  
Kyra

Wow... *racks brain* I got my first workout video (original abs of steel) in '95 or '96, & proceeded to start looking into other videos in the spring of the following year. I just got stuff I could find in stores - Suncoast Video, places like that. Some I liked, some I didn't like, so I went online to look for reviews or some such thing. I found VF via a websearch.

It was a lot smaller back then, and I used my real name as a screen name, which was pretty much the norm then, as I recall. I think I just jumped right in and felt at home. I learned about collage & went through what seems to be the typical noob thing, trying a wide variety of things on to see what fit. I recall my early favorites being Kathy Smith, Karen Voight, and - gosh, I forget. lol I picked up a few Firm cross trainers, & finally got brave enough to try Cathe (Mega Step Blast, I think, was my first).

I got away from VF for a while, & came back about two years ago. Same place, some familiar faces, lots of smiling new ones!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 02:30 PM  
tapdancer

Love VF

I found VF by accident. I discovered Collage first and ordered some videos from them. I took a look at their forum, but it didn't appeal to me. I received a very warm welcome here and I was not shy about posting because I used to be a tech support mentor on a computer support site and I was used to anwering questions from people all over the world online.

I quickly learned about what videos were worth buying and I have already received some videos SASE. I also learned a lot about the mechanics of exercise.

I decided to be a supporter and I visit the site for inspiration and motivation every day.

"To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful. This is power, it is glory on earth and it is yours for the taking."

~Agnes De Milles~

tapdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 02:41 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

My chain of events

About 4 years ago, heard Collage Video recommended at the old Beauty Buzz site. Asked a fitness question there, was answered by the amazing Stevie, and called Collage requesting a catalog.

I think the first videos I ordered were Reebok Step Rhythm and Moves and Donnamite.

When reading the Collage reviews I would repeated see Cathe Friedrich mentioned in reviews. Found her website about 1 1/2 years ago and purchased Muscle Endurance and Cardio and Weights as a result. Became a forum member there.

Heard VF mentioned a lot at Cathe's site as THE place for reviews. Came over here initially to read reviews. I think my first post was actually a response to a Cathe thread rather than a question. My first question (about other fun step instructors) was met with lots of recommendations and a great warmness.

For me, what made me feel fully a part of the VF community was 1) participating in the Holiday Gift exchange. It made me post more often and made me read threads I ordinarily might have skipped. And 2) joining a check in, the Body vs. Enthusiasm thread. It was great to find a great group of ladies who, like me, often have their bodies give out at various times, even though the mind is more than willing.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 02:42 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

I started working out with videos after long illness/major surgery. I had been working out at the student Rec Center, but after surgery the thought of going back to the gym just didn't appeal to me. I wanted to work out (I've always been active), but I wanted to do something different.

When the doc told me that I could start adding other exercise to my walks, a friend loaned me her Tae Bo Basic video. Back then, the Tae Bo videos were very expensive, so I found VF when I was searching for a good, cheap kickboxing workout to buy instead of Tae Bo.

I also searched for some good strength training videos, and bought the Firm Cardio video I saw at Wal-Mart based on VF reviews. I was a poor grad student at the time and it was the day before payday...I actually used my last $10 to buy that video, LOL! After payday I bought the Rubbermaid stepstool/toolbox to use as a tall step.

I used the reviews part of this site for several months before I even thought of joining the forum. By the time I joined, I already had a good collection of videos. I didn't lurk much before I started posting, and I joined the Cardio Cross-Trainer check-in shortly after that.

My experience with this forum has generally been good. I've met several VFers in real life at get-togethers, and I enjoy checking in with my fellow CCTer babes each week.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 03:07 PM  
Cinders

I just registered in late July. I had been lurking for about two years. I found the site by doing a search for fitness video reviews. There is a lot of knowlege on this site and I have learned much. I have only posted one question which did not get any replies, not even a welcome. I have responded to one other thread which I had some knowledge. I am hesitant to post being new and receiving no replies or welcome kind of made me feel not welcome, like I missed something. Oh well things happen.
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 03:15 PM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

I was looking for exercise video reviews (after finding Collage Video and Paula Zs (?) site, and found this one.

I cannot tell you what it was like to discover that I was not the only person working out in a basement. It was heaven!

I think I became a supporter soon after. With all the money I spend on videos it would be a crime not to support the "enabling" site.
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how did you find vf