Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-21, 03:57 AM  
Negin

Pain in Left Butt Cheek - what stretches to focus on

No, I really don't want to see a doctor or PT if I can help it. It feels like a muscle pain. I'm thinking that it's probably sciatica. It gets worse as the day progresses, and is aggravated either by sitting and/or standing. I realize that I need to stretch more.

I have almost all of the CS and Essentrics DVDs. I'm wondering what areas to focus on - hips, glutes, lower back, groin - there are so many in the CS routines. If you think of any others, please share.

Thanks so much.
Old 11-22-21, 04:48 AM  
SEV

Negin, so sorry you're having this issue. If Youtube is an option, Yoga with Adrienne has a practice for sciatica, and I think Sara Beth Yoga does too.

I have had sciatica issues, and some stretches helped and some made it worse. It will be different for everyone. Just be gentle with whatever you try.

Pilates with Lisa used to have a free sciatica practice that was amazing, but I don't think it's free anymore.

Hopefully someone can also recommend a Classical Stretch for you to try.

Good luck!

Susan
SEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-21, 04:58 AM  
Negin

Susan, thank you so much. I just found the Yoga with Adriene one. I'm going to look for Sarah Beth also. I also found a few by Caroline Jordan, and I'm going to look up Yoga with Kassandra. I don't mind paying for the Pilates with Lisa if it's effective. Yes, hoping that someone can either help me with which specific CS, or, at least which areas to focus on. That would be wonderful!
Old 11-22-21, 07:52 AM  
donnamp

Hi Negin,

I have been suffering with something - either piriformis, SI or ???

And, like you, I really don't want to go the PT route, too time consuming and expensive - not to mention the whole COVID thing.

I have found that some of Jessica Valent's practices help me as well as Annie Pilates Physical Therapy on You Tube. Jessica Valent has a You Tube channel as well as a paid subscription - but both offer some PT type practices.

I just did this session on Annie Pilates Physical Therapy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSnzads6O3w

It was more focused on strengthening than stretching, but she does have some stretching videos as well.

Sometimes I think it strength/stability that we need rather than stretching.

As an aside - are you still doing Pahla B's workouts? I ended up having to stop doing her stuff as I found it was really aggravating something in my lower back/hip/SI - not sure what it was - but I found that whenever i went back to doing her stuff my pain got worse.

Take care!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-21, 08:34 AM  
Karla25

I would probably try the hip exercises. Try to do different ones each day though.

I’ve been having right knee, hip & should pain for a while. I used to not do the waist slenderizing episodes because I felt that I didn’t need them. Then a little over a week ago, I decided to start CS season 10 and go through it numerically instead of randomly choosing workouts. Well the first waist workout almost completely knocked out the pain. It was totally unexpected. So experiment. Try Season 12 or some of the other slower moving workouts. Hope you feel better!
Old 11-22-21, 08:37 AM  
Leonana

My right butt cheek hurts periodically and I think it’s my pirifirmis. Usually when I do stretching for the pirifirmis, it relieves the pain. I guess I diagnosed myself by which stretch video worked! My favorite channel is AskDoctorJo. My favorite video is the one for pirifirmis and sciatica.

There are many PT’s with channels on you tube. I know Vannie uses quite a few and would have some suggestions.
Old 11-22-21, 09:51 AM  
Venus

It might be best if you stretch the whole body and keep it gentle. The Classical Stretch Aging Backwards for Beginners DVDs (Posture & Pain Relief, Mobility & Bone Strengthening) would be a good place to start.

I also recommend Jen Hilman. I usually do her videos when I have a pain issue and have found several that help relieve pain and destress. She has a playlist for sciatica and videos on other channels (PsycheTruth, YOGATX) as well.

Jen Hilman YouTube channel

Playlist: Yoga for Low Back, Hips, & Sciatica

Jen Hilman sciatica pain relief

I hope you find something that works for you
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-21, 10:07 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

As long as you have Essentrics, Sahra's Hips and Hamstrings from the Stretch in Motion dvd is my go-to when I've been sitting too long. It's important to hit all the muscles because even though one might feel tight, it could be because the opposing muscle group is even tighter and pulling on it.
Old 11-22-21, 10:56 AM  
Rhonda

When I have this, I will roll on a ball or foam roller. I know it hurts but it is the only thing that helped me.

roll it out and then some stretches.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-21, 11:59 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Jessica Valant (who's a PT) has a video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMjU...aValantPilates

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butt/glute workout, dean pohlman, glute activation, hip and glute pain, hip pain, man flow yoga, nerve flossing, nerve gliding, pain relief, piriformis