Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-12, 09:41 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I found VF back when it was part of fitness online or something like that - maybe it was linked from there? Not sure if I found it when I was looking at fitnessonline, Collage Video or by searching, but it was back in the early to mid 90's! I believe I got my name on here in 1996 when I finally signed on.

VF is how I learned about Cathe... and I was already doing the original Firms (at $49.95 per VHS!) and Denise Austin after cutting my teeth with a Joanie Greggains (33) record! Someone had to keep Collage Video in business! We used to pass the early catalog around at work and treated it like gold.

Then once I found VF I kept reading about this Cathe lady - and I was in!

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 11:06 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I had a few of the early Firms and taped-from-TV Charlene Prickett. I was wondering if there were other videos out there (maybe there weren't any in stores yet?) so I did a search and found Video Fitness.

Wait, did I find the newsgroup first and Wendy was a member before she started Video Fitness? It was so long ago. There was an alt.fitness.net or something newsgroup. Didn't I meet you there Michelle S?

ETA: Just read a bunch of other responses. Cheryl, the join dates here aren't accurate for everyone. I think those of us early joiners had our dates changed once or twice with new forum software.
Yup, that's where I originally found "VF," which wasn't even VF yet.... I think that was the summer of '95, if I recall correctly? My join date here is totally bogus - I know it changed a few times over the early years....

Then we met for real at one of the super early Cathe trips, remember? I was VERY early pregnant with James, so that had to have been spring of '99. I know Daphne was also there (and my Mom!).

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 12:46 PM  
dela

I found VFF from reading the Cathe boards a few years back. I was a heavier Cathe board user, but over time, as my interests grew wider, I slowly transferred my browsing time to VFF and then finally signed up .
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 03:45 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzo View Post
I certainly have an interesting, long story. I had been a cardio junkie for years and it wasn't until I received P90x as a birthday gift in 2008 that I became more interested in weight lifting/strength training. I was on-and-off for awhile until about early 2010 where I became more consistent.

I was perusing the web, looking for articles on weight lifting for women and came across a blogger who heavily promoted heavy lifting for women. As I was perusing her blog, one of the topics she was discussing was with such disgust...wait for it...was Tracy Anderson. Basically it was ranting about how Tracy's "no woman should ever lift more than 3 lbs" line on Oprah was scaring woman away from heavy lifting. Most commentators on the article agreed with the blogger, but Tracy always has a few defenders anytime someone speaks negatively of her.

I remember one of the comments linked to a very heated, long discussion going on here at VF...and I read every single word of it. That was easily a good hour of my time and after I finished reading the thread, I clicked on the General Forum link and was delighted to see that in spite of some controversial topics, this forum was very helpful and useful. I lurked for a few months before joining in the summer of 2010.
Haha!! I love how the TA controversy and disgust at another site (although I don't know if it was the same site, it was the same premise) is what brought both of us here And, for the record, I love Tracy So, many thanks to the site that introduced me to TA & VF!!

ETA: Love your new pic, mspina
Old 11-06-12, 07:43 PM  
SherBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaDeb View Post
I found out about VF through Collage Video. I don't remember the exact trail that took me from A to B, but I do remember that Collage Video was the starting point of my journey.
Me too. Took me a long time to create a login. This site is one that I visit most frequently. I only wish I posted more. Shy.
and speaking of collage, I still love to read their mags. I never have time to read them at home but I travel a lot and it's wonderful reading at the airport.
SherBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how did you find vf