Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-12, 07:07 PM  
wellnesswife

New this year

I am new to VF this year...but am in love

I lurked at Collage Video & they would talk about trading on there...and so I found you all!

Also because I like to browse with my Kindle Fire, Collage's website doesnt allow me to post from my Fire, but VF does!!!
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 07:13 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellnesswife View Post
I am new to VF this year...but am in love

I lurked at Collage Video & they would talk about trading on there...and so I found you all!

Also because I like to browse with my Kindle Fire, Collage's website doesnt allow me to post from my Fire, but VF does!!!
I found that to be a concern of mine also. One of the reasons I did not like that feature on the kindle.

Just a thought I had to post.

Back to the topic at hand. Sorry for the bust in

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 07:37 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I had a few of the early Firms and taped-from-TV Charlene Prickett. I was wondering if there were other videos out there (maybe there weren't any in stores yet?) so I did a search and found Video Fitness.

Wait, did I find the newsgroup first and Wendy was a member before she started Video Fitness? It was so long ago. There was an alt.fitness.net or something newsgroup. Didn't I meet you there Michelle S?

ETA: Just read a bunch of other responses. Cheryl, the join dates here aren't accurate for everyone. I think those of us early joiners had our dates changed once or twice with new forum software.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 07:49 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

oh. Thanks Joni. At least it may be a ball park year for some of us. The newer folks. Too bad to lose some history of VF

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 08:38 PM  
txfitmom

I remember stumbling upon this website back in 2008 (wish I had known about it before) when I was searching for reviews of fitness videos. I just innocently typed in something about fitness video reviews and ended up here. Little did I know it would start an addiction that is still going strong! I also found my way to Collage and eventually figured out who Mary was and the rest is history.

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 08:49 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I have no idea how I found VF. It may have been through Collage because I bought from them for years, and had posted on their forum before they've required registration.... I'm not a "joiner" by nature, and I've never joined Collage's forum, and I've lurked here for a few years before I have decided I like it here, and decided to join. That was in Feb of 2008, and a few thousand dollars ago.....
Old 11-05-12, 08:50 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSandra View Post
Way back in the 90's I was getting into fitness videos and was looking for reviews on them. I used a search engine (can't recall which one, this was pre-Google) and it led me to VF! Haven't left since.
yeah that!***

Blockbuster Video was still in business, and initially, that was my source of videos. i wasn't buying online just yet. i remember seeing The Firm Vols. 1-6, and all the add-ons, as rentals!!! and they had a section of videos for sale, however i hadn't known about The Firm at the time.

i had known about video workouts since the 80s because my first video was a betamax Callanetics video which i special ordered from Waldenbooks!!! then i bought a VHS version from them also.

***in the 90s i started getting into videos again. in Blockbuster, i saw a Kathy Smith video, and before investing any money into it, i checked for reviews online. i hadn't even discovered Amazon just yet, so the VF review section was my very first experience with reviews. from the mid 90s until 2002, i only read the VF reviews section.

i saw a link to the VF forum, but wasn't interested in it because the way the forum was set up, the Mods screened every single post, and it took 1 day before your post appeared.

i was very active on The Firm Believers website from the mid 90s, a site launched by The Firm. When that shut down, one of the members started Firm Ya Ya's, so we all moved over there.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 09:03 PM  
Hilary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
I read about VF in either Weight Lifting for Dummies or Fitness for Dummies. They described the site, mentioned the Exchange list feature and quoted a couple of video reviews. That was about 12 or 13 years ago.
~Sissy B
Me too. I remember it had Joan Boadway's review of the "stick a fork in your eye" video ... something satirical about videos that are really tough but people are saying that they're just too easy for them.

I was just thinking about this today because I'm back doing the original Firm 90-Day Rotation and I remember that when I first came to VF in 2000, there were a lot of Firmies, but many more people who were switching over to Cathe. It just seems like back then there wasn't nearly as much variety. You did the Firm or Cathe for weights and maybe Christi and Cathe for cardio. At least that's the impression I got back then.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 09:25 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I don't remember VF moderators screening every post and it taking a day for a post to appear. That must have been before my time.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 10:03 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

If I remember correctly, I found VF when I was trying to find Karen Voight videos. I'd been a KV fan for several years and had several of her videos. I searched for her and found some VF discussions. I didn't join VF for several years, but lurked regularly. I think it was around the time of Cardio Coach 4 that I discovered VF, if that helps date me.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how did you find vf