Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-11, 09:21 PM  
Jules

I think I joined in '96. I had the slowest laptop ever and it took me a couple minutes to load each page.

Some of the first videos I tried due to VF reviews were Karen Voight's Energy Sprint, Step Reebok Intense Moves, Cathe's Power Max, Tim Culwell with Nadia Comaneci (can't remember the name of that one), and The Firm Cross-training with Pam Cauthen.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 09:39 PM  
eulila

Apparently I don't know how to do the quotes correctly-

[One thing I'll always remember about VF -- we had a crazy troll with multiple personalities. In retrospect she was amusing, but at the time it was toxic.
[/QUOTE]

LOL- That's right when I joined (99 or 00, not sure)- I remember several threads about her/them. I never did know exactly what had happened. I was late to that party, which is just as well. I found VF not long after I learned how to use the internet.

My first exposure to workouts was Jane Fonda's audio workout during college in the mid 80's. I also use to do the Gilad, Denise Austin, and other ESPN workouts on TV. My 1st video was the original Reebok Step. I added Firm2 next. Finding VF was a godsend as I had gotten and been disappointed with several Collage purchases. VF helped me make better choices for me.
eulila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 10:21 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I found VF by plugging 'fitness' into the original Alta Vista search engine. VF was about the second thing on the list. I'd bought exercise videos in the past - a couple early Jane Fondas and Callanetics - at the grocery store for like $20 each 1987-88$.

In the first week of January of '99 I did a stay at a spa to recoupe from a major house remodel and found VF a week or so after. I saw the forum pretty early on but it was September before I checked it out. Forums were a bit intimidating even though I'd been on a 'list' where you submitted your replies and got a daily mailing of the list. VF seemed so advanced after that even during the phase where each reply had to be added. That was one of the 'features' of the software back then.

I still have those two Fonda VHS tapes and have gotten one of them on DVD. I also have DVDs of the first two Leslie's I bought on VHS. Still do them occasioanlly. I got rid of the original Callenetics but I've borrowed copies since and contemplate getting Super Callenetics from the same era since I could probably actually do it now - at least a part at a time. If anyone ever offers me a trade for a chaptered copy I will. (NB-Emergency Workout is in my pile of things to feed into my trade list which would be overwhelming if I posted everything at once.)

I spend months at a time away from the forum but I keep up through a local VF friend. Karyn and I are getting together Wednesday to lend each other DVDs to preview. We have a lot of similar tastes. She started with Super Callanetics and the original NIA tape. She's also the one who introduced me to Classical Stretch back when Miranda had one VHS out. We met back when Renee D started the Seattle VF get togethers that happened every 6 months or so for a few years at various members' homes.

It's nice to see so many familiar names on this thread.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 05:21 AM  
bearcatfan

I think I found VF when I wanted to maintain a weight loss and didn't want to join a gym with a baby and a husband who traveled. I think I used the yahoo search engine and there you all were! I had some trouble joining at first (due to computer issues) so really I was reading more like summer of 2001). Then of course I started hearing all about this woman named "Cathe" and the rest was history.

I was petrified to post at first. I started posting regularly when I started P90X and joined a checkin (and made some great friends). Now, of course, it's hard to shut up.
Old 01-25-11, 12:17 PM  
joycet
VF Supporter

I joined VF in, I think, 1996 or so after I started working out again and had bought a couple of exercise videos to try at home. I had bought the Firm Upper Body, Volume 2 and Volume 3 of the classics. I just happened to see an ad in some fitness magazine (can't remember which one) for Firm workouts that had a link to VF. I visited the site and the rest is history.

My original username was my full name as, at the time, the age of too much information on the internet hadn't dawned yet. When the software changed, I shortened my username. I used to post a lot, not so much now as I don't have a lot of time to post.

I remember when the roadtrips were VF roadtrips to Cathe's facility. Of course, now they are Cathe roadtrips. I went on two of the VF roadtrips to Cathe's gym.

I remember the troll that wouldn't go away as well... Does anyone remember when the term vidiot was coined? So much VF history....
joycet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how did you find vf