Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-11, 01:41 PM  
jerebo

I first joined VF in 1999/2000. I saw a reference for the reviews segment in Shape or Fitness (don't remember which). Before that, I only had a couple of Firm workouts that I'd found at Target. The most popular instructors then were Cathe, Kari Anderson, and Christi Taylor.

Like Mary, I didn't realize that VF had a forum for quite a while. I mainly haunted the reviews pages. Only later did I realize I could get even better information about videos on the forums. And then I got more into the "life" of the forum. I do, however, have a tendency to pop in and out. I'll be very active for a while (well, for me!), and then disappear for months at a time.
Old 01-24-11, 02:10 PM  
Buffgirl

I love VideoFitness.com

I joined in 2/2006, I used to visit Cathe's forums but a lot people there were not as Friendly as the ones in the VF. I love the encouragement that I have recieved here. And, I yes I bought a lot more DVD's but on the positive side, I have learned about different trainings and I have kept the weight off, while having fun!
Buffgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 02:14 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I found VF after getting a Collage catalog in the mail and then searching online for more video reviews. I lurked for a while before joining in early 2002. I remember a lot of chatter about The Firm and Cathe. Pilates was beginning to take off and people complained a lot about the choreo on [insert instructor's name here]'s new step video being way easier than back in the good ol' days

Even if I'm taking a break from videos or exercising, VF has always been a great place to visit, with a lot of intelligent, thoughtful and supportive members.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 02:28 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09(b) View Post
I just checked my original login and it looks like I joined in Aug. 2005. I tried to search what we were talking about here then, because I recalled it being a lot of Kari, Christi and Cathe. Here's a thread I started from around then, about my then six year old (now 10) trying Kari. So many of the same people were posting then as now.
How do you check your original login? I think I joined in 2004 under a different user name. I'm not sure what happened, but I now see my join date is the following year. Is there any way I can go back and verify any of this?
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 02:31 PM  
Linda KH
VF Supporter

I joined around 1999 - before the current software. I also started with the Review pages but once I found the forum I was hooked. I remember being excited about ordering the new Firms (The Crosstrainers - Cardio and Strength!) and getting my very first Cathe (Powermax!)

ETA: Some guys at my gym are starting a P90X rotation. I told them I bought my set when it was first released, around 6? years ago. They thought it was brand new! I remember the excitement at VF about this new follow-up to Power 90. I don't think anyone at the time (at least, not me) could have imagined that an "advanced" workout would be such an infomercial hit.
Old 01-24-11, 02:51 PM  
Mary09(b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmee57 View Post
How do you check your original login? I think I joined in 2004 under a different user name. I'm not sure what happened, but I now see my join date is the following year. Is there any way I can go back and verify any of this?
Do you remember your original user name? If so, go to Advanced Search and try searching for posts by that user. If you go down to the bottom and set 'sort results by last posting date in ASCENDING order', your oldest post should be on top.

I just looked at my first posts. I'd just pre-ordered Cathe's Low Impact Step, and gotten free downloads of the original Cardio Coach Volumes 1-4 by donating $50 to Red Cross Hurricane Katrina relief.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 02:57 PM  
debbied
VF Supporter

I'm pretty sure I found VF in 1997. I used to troll the 'New Releases' page. Never knew about the Forum. Like a lot of us, I found the reviews first.

I did Kathy Smith's Pregnancy Workout with my first DD (1991) and, yes, I giggled every time she did her 'dance.' Back then, it was only VHS and that one set me back over $30. But I did it every day so I got my money's worth.

I tripped on the original Firm Classic #1 with Susan Harris in 1996 at FYE and the rest, as they say, is history. I found Cathe about the same time. I don't even remember the name, but her sister was in the video.

I don't post much, but the support and information over the years has been priceless.

Constantly in a state of gratitude.

Dream big because the only thing that can hold you back is a life without dreams. Sean O'Malley

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. Jean Kerr
debbied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 03:10 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
When I joined VF was still on the "temporary" software it had been on for a few years and was universally hated. That was September of 1999. We had troll issues on that software.
That's about the time I joined, too. I hated that software in which the threads and postings were similar to makeupalley.com's (which they STILL use which is why I never post there). So I left VF for a few years and continued exercising on my own, then rejoined later.
Old 01-24-11, 03:48 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

I joined in May, 1996. There are some people still here who were around, but many who aren't.

I remember the forum going down a LOT. I remember that you used to get all the threads "threaded" like you might see in your inbox, they were all in a list. Nothing fancy.

I remember the big talk being Cathe and the Firm...mainly because I'd never tried either of them and within a short time, I bought my first of both. The next year the Firmlist (the old one) came up and I first heard about it here, and joined it on its second day (Sept 1997). The following year was my first trip to the Firm in SC (the old Charleston studio).
I've met a bunch of people from VF and VF has also led to many other cyberfriends as well, many that I have had the opportunity to meet IRL. None of that would have happened without VF.
VF changed my life...and led me to some very close friendships.
Old 01-24-11, 05:05 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I found VF looking for reviews and like many, cruising reviews was all I did for a couple weeks. Then I saw all the list of links down the side and thought "what is a reader forum?" Click, and voila! Changed history.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how did you find vf