Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-10, 09:32 AM  
TexasMama

I tend to post in spurts, and my online persona is a lot like my real life personality, where I'm not a big talker. I found VF a few years ago and lurked for a while before joining.

VF opened up a whole new world to me. Before finding this forum, the only workout DVDs I knew about were the ones I stumbled across at Wal-mart or Target. After reading the VF forum for only a short time, I felt like the workout horizon was literally limitless, and, without it, I doubt that I would know much of anything about kettlebells, barre workouts, or any number of other fitness pursuits. I definitely would have missed the opportunity to be on the pre preorder list for the Altatude fitness workouts!

What impressed me about VF from the very beginning were the intelligent discussions and posts from articulate people from all over the country (and the world). I've always been impressed by the knowledge of so many of the people here. I've also felt comfortable with the atmosphere here, which, most of the time, is loving, warm, and inclusive. Plus, some of these people are downright hilarious!

It is nice to feel like I'm not the only nerd in the world who likes working out to fitness dvds, and if the typical home fitness dvd enthusiast is anything like the people on this forum, then I'm in a pretty elite class.

A pedestrian is a man in danger of his life. A walker is a man in possession of his soul. -- David Mccord
TexasMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 10:16 AM  
Eibhinn

I checked VF reviews for quite awhile before realizing all the action was in the forum. And then I still lurked for several years before joining in 2005.

I stay because I thoroughly enjoy exercise videos and don't know a single person who does IRL. Still I visit in fits and starts, obsessively checking VF for awhile, and then not visiting for several months.

I think the reason some people leave is because their lifestyles and workout preferences change - they become runners, or don't have much internet time because of growing families or new careers. I think some people stay away because we can be far too enabling of out-of-control buying, and they have to just cut the cord to keep in control of their budget. Some of my several month long VF sabbaticals have been for this reason. I think other people leave due to hurt feelings when particular discussions get snippy or personal - although luckily this doesn't happen nearly as often here as on other internet forums. I'm willing to bet that some folks we think of as MIA have decided to not put the energy into participating, and settle on lurking for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
I have always thought Cat People had a better PR machine than Dog People.
I think you're correct. And it's an internet-wide phenomena:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrismenning...-cats-and-dogs
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 05:10 PM  
jessicavi

Well you know Bob, you did indicate what's considered "Long-term VFers" but I'd like to think that after 7 years, I'm one. What drew me here was the need to find people who loved the FIRM and was talking about it. Then all the Cathe threads started to dominate the boards and drew me in too as well as other genres. So now my stash has diversified as much as these boards have. For a while I was sharing my time between VF and YY (not so much now since they've declined). The comraderie has been a great support and motivation to me. I live vicariously through people buying/selling/trading DVDs they love/hate/bored with. They provide great feedback for my own decisions to buy, buy, buy or sell, sell, sell--a virtual DVD stock market of sorts. It gives me buddies that love the same things I do that I don't have IRL. I don't feel like "I'm the only one" out here who's a vidiot. I can workout alone (which I thoroughly enjoy) but have thousands of friends doing the same so I don't feel lonely. I am truly grateful that WWWendy had the foresight to start and maintain this forum all these years. I am grateful for the variety of feedback I get from this community. I keep forgetting about the VF Supporter (I'm sorry) b/c it's not mandatory but I do want to say a big THANK YOU!!!
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 05:16 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

The support of online friends, news & reviews of new workouts, and most of all: people who UNDERSTAND. In regular life, I've occasionaly mentioned online support group for people who exercise at home with DVDs. This is met with a glazed look and an incredulous echo.

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 06:29 PM  
gigi

Yep! Where else can I talk home fitness workouts without getting a blank stare, glazed over look, or a sympathy listen. Everyone's love of fitness, reviews, excitement and drama over new releases, finding new workouts/instructors, check-in's...keep me coming back for more!

Tags
how did you find vf