Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-07, 07:37 PM  
missbrightside

Hey everyone! I'm new here but i've been lurking for a few months. I'm 20 years old.

A bit before this new year, I decided to get back into fitness and working out in earnest. I have a gym membership and mainly workout there, but it's a bit of a smaller one that isn't open on Sundays, and there are some days when I can't get there, so I use videos to supplement. I mainly like dance workouts even though I can't dance for a change, because over there I mainly use machines.

Years ago I would ocassionally use a BodyShaping step VHS, Jane Fonda's new workout, and a Richard Simmons tape I can't remember. Then I walked for awhile but I got bored. Last December, I happened to be at Ross with my mom and had just gotten some money, and felt like it was burning a hole in my pocket. They had 4 of the Island Girl DVDs and I thought they looked really cool and I bought them. Now i'm addicted, and I buy on Amazon and eBay pretty often. In the past three months i've probably aquired about 60 DVDs and a few other VHS tapes for stuff that isn't on DVD.

I'm mainly into cardio, because I have to lose quite a bit of weight. I know strength training is important, but it's kind of hard to get myself to do it, and I mainly do it at the gym. I only have 2 pound dumbells at home. We also have an elliptical machine, but it was broken for months so I got antsy and started finding other ways to work out because I had gained even more. It was fixed recently and my mom uses it now. Same for yoga and pilates...I only feel like working out a certain amount of time a day, and I really want to burn fat with that ,but i'm trying to get into that too.
missbrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:52 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Hi,

Welcome out of lurkdom. It sounds like you have your exercise routine pretty well set up with the bases covered. There are lots of people here at VF who do strength at the gym and only cardio at home... or vice versa... or some other combination. As long as it works for you, that's what matters.

Have you found the check ins and challenges section of the forum? There is a check in for people in their 20s and 30s if you would find a small group to check in and interact wtih helpful. There are others as well, of course.

Welcome to VF!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 08:37 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Hi missbrightside, Welcome! (belated as it may be)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 03:52 AM  
Papio

Talking

Hello new peep!

Your older then my gf and younger than me

Why can't you get to the gym, details woman details?! I joined the closest gym to me and walk there every time, I consider it part of my warm-up and cool down, its been a great help, I’ve had so few muscle aches its made exercise one of the major joys of my life.

Your Island Girl DVDs story sounds really similar to my p90x story, I have a drawer full of DVD’s I can't be bothered doing but p90x will never go into it (Except Cardio X zzzZZZzzz)

For cardio I love the gym machines, the when the calorie counter hits 600 I know I’m having a good day, four 600's a week and I can eat pretty much whatever I feel like and not gain any weight.

--Colin

Phear the Ninja Hamster Zena!
Papio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 01:13 PM  
new2me

Just wanted to add my welcome to Missbrightside...ha, your video addiction sounds a lot like the way mine started...I went from 0 to 60 in no time at all.

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 08:27 AM  
alsrnbsn

Hello Everyone~!

I have been a sporadic lurker since last August and come out every once in a while.

I'm 34 and have been an avid home exerciser for 2 years because there are no good gyms in my town that aren't over 45 min away! I lost about 50 lbs with Weight Watchers and then the last 20 doing my own thing. I have another 15 to go, but will be okay if it takes a long time as my focus has switched from weight loss to fitness gains. I am a HUGE Cathe fan, but am going through my first P90X rotation right now. I have 3 cats that allow me to pay the bills at the house and a wonder husband who is disabled. I work full time nights as an Open Heart/Trauma ICU nurse, mostly on the weekends, but lately my schedule has been goofy due to staffing.

I started years and years ago with all the FIRM tapes, but moved to Florida and got out of working out. Now, the video collection is growing by leaps and bounds because of all the awesome workouts that are being produced! I even have the wooden Fanny Lifter! It still comes in handy some days!
alsrnbsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 11:27 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Congrats on your weight loss and the focus on fitness! It sounds like you are doing great. Welcome back to home exercising as well. You've been around long enough that I don't have to tell you to hide your credit cards from yourself. It sounds like you will be busy for awhile though, with Power 90X. From what I've read, it is certainly a way to make fitness improvements.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 04-23-07, 12:33 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Hi alsrnbsn, Welcome to VF and congrats on your weight loss! You've definitely come to the right place for fitness.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 04:27 PM  
ElisaB

Red face Newbie

Hi everyone, I just joined. I was refferd to this forum from someone on the Fitness Weight Loss forum, and I simply had to register! This is a dream come true, a forum to trade exercise videos!!!

Looking forward to making new friends and some good trades

“You don't have to be perfect to be AMAZING
ElisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 04:31 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Elisa,

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your search for trades. Just don't open up any threads about new workouts. There's lots of tempation around here!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread