Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-21, 08:36 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
A couple of memoirs that sound like they would be downers but I found very positive and not hard to read are Stir by Jessics Fechtor and The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey. Both about getting through major health incidents. They might appeal to the psychologist, if she doesn't need a break from the inside of people's heads.
Karen Jo, I jotted down several of the novels you recommended to look for at my library.

I enjoy memoirs also, although I'm probably a bit selective in that area. DH loved The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating! He reads a lot of books about animal intelligence; he is currently reading one about animal morality.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 12:18 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

In the last few weeks I've read Firely Lane and the sequel Fly Away by Kristin Hannah. I enjoyed the first one much better as it had some lighter moments but both held my interest.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-21, 06:05 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I just started The Therapist by B.A. Paris.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-21, 06:15 PM  
Erica H.

I finished The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music by Dave Grohl and really liked it. Now I'm reading Smile: The Story of a Face by Sarah Ruhl. I'm not sure where I heard about this book - maybe in this thread?

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-21, 11:30 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I finished The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music by Dave Grohl and really liked it.
I heard him interviewed by Terry Gross on Fresh Air several years ago and was surprised at how funny and intelligent he is.

Was thinking about starting The Wheel of Time series and downloaded the sample of the first book, The Eye of the World, on Kindle. It's a good hour of reading and not bad so far but not especially compelling either.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-21, 11:32 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I heard him interviewed by Terry Gross on Fresh Air several years ago and was surprised at how funny and intelligent he is.
His devotion to his family really touched and surprised me, too.

Erica
Old 11-22-21, 04:56 PM  
BunnyHop

I read Robert J Sawyer's Hominids the other day. It was a fairly quick read, but it is true I stayed up late reading it.

It was okay, but I won't be seeking out the rest of the trilogy.
Old 11-22-21, 05:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
Erica Baumeister - her 2-book series The School of Essential Ingredients and The Lost Art of Mixing. Also Joy For Beginners
Karen Jo, I got The School of Essential Ingredients from my library last week and read it this past weekend - I loved it! It reminded me a lot of Maeve Binchy's A Week in Winter in the way all the stories came together. I will definitely read the sequel; thanks so much for this recommendation!

I also finished Sense & Sensibility, which I enjoyed very much once I got used to the writing style.

The other two books I got from the library were Too Many Cooks by Dana Bate and The Confession Club by Elizabeth Berg.

I'm also currently reading Matthew Sanford's memoir Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-21, 02:58 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Glad you liked the book, Beth. I wish she had more. I'm a bit put off by the description of The Scent Keeper so haven't read it yet. I did also like her nonfiction House Lessons about renovating a house in Port Townsend, Washington. I am familiar with the town and have been there a couple dozen times, which added to it for me.

I recently finished : Digging In by Loretta Nyhan
The Late Bloomers' Club by Louise Miller
The Sunshine Sister by Jane Green

All had decent writing and pretty believable plots and occurrences. Not everything is peaches and cream in them but the tough things characters are going through is not portrayed darkly. Easy to read and nice endings. Each did have a less-than-likable main character who was loved anyway. There is romance as part of the plot of each, but not the whole plot and not overly graphic. All very different from each other.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-21, 03:12 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Now I'm reading Smile: The Story of a Face by Sarah Ruhl. I'm not sure where I heard about this book - maybe in this thread?

Erica
Finished Smile and really liked it. It was a quiet and reflective book, which suits me well right now. Starting Leaving Breezy Street: A Memoir
by Brenda Myers-Powell. I didn't realize until today how many memoirs I've been reading.

Erica

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading