Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-21, 12:00 PM  
prettyinpink

Hope you get relief soon.

Just wanted to say that if it’s SI, some kinds of stretches can make it worse.

I second looking at PT channels on youtube. In the past I found several that showed how to do self-adjustment for SI which really worked for me.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-21, 12:49 PM  
Vantreesta

I agree with Donna that stretching is not always the best route and pain is often caused by muscle weakness rather than tightness.

As Sherry mentioned, I use several YouTube videos for pain issues. My left side got pretty wrecked in 2009 when I tore my hamstring tendon, hip labrum and other soft tissues in that hip. I have piriformis and QL issues on that side as well and SI flare ups on both sides. I absolutely find the best pain relief when I am doing strength work. For example, when my piriformis is causing pain, I get more relief from doing reps of contract and release of my glutes than I do from a figure 4 or other stretches.

I have mostly been using Caroline Jordan for this. I'll post this then add links to specific ones I use when I get on my computer in a minute (so much easier than doing on the phone).

Adding links to my most used for glutes (I don't know how to post the link as a title):

Caroline Jordan Exercises to Help High Hamstring Tendonitis Pain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw8r...9h1HFK&index=3

Run Better With Yoga Best Exercises for Piriformis Syndrome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Bi...9h1HFK&index=4

Caroline Jordan 15-Minute Glute Activation Workout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBDw...h1HFK&index=19

Caroline Jordan Exercises That Will Help Heal Your Hamstrings (Part 2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Kc...h1HFK&index=20

Here's a couple I've tried, haven't incorporated regularly yet but plan to:

Caroline Jordan Build a Better Butt Workout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbD7...index=14&t=88s

Caroline Jordan Hot Hips Workout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dm_...index=3&t=535s

Caroline Jordan Best Hamstring Exercises. Quick, Effective 8 Minute Hamstring Strengthening Routine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-jS...JIdT93&index=2

I also love Winsor Pilates Bun & Thigh Sculpting, especially the "fetal thighs" section.

Hope you find something that helps!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-21, 03:27 PM  
Negin

Wow! Thank you all so much. You are always all so helpful .

I have pretty much all of the CS and Essentrics DVDs. I wasn't sure if I should bother with the sale this year or not. I'm glad that I did. I just ordered 3 DVDs that I didn't have yet. It'll be a while before they arrive to me, since I live in the Caribbean, but I don't mind waiting. I have a lot already, plus there's always YouTube and all the great links that you have so kindly shared.

This morning, I did a few of my usual morning stretches, since that's pretty all that I had time for, as well as 5 Best Sciatica Stretches for Quick Pain Relief (Must Try!) - Caroline Jordan. I feel much better already, but realize that it's something that I need to continue to do - strengthen and stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Sometimes I think it strength/stability that we need rather than stretching.
Donna, this is going to sound weird, but you've been in my thoughts. I've already told you how much I enjoy your posts. I don't post here that much because I've been so busy, and also because I don't have much else to add after everyone else has already posted such helpful stuff.

Anyway, I haven't been doing that much of Pahla B, just sort of here and there, while doing other videos - such as Lucy Wyndham Read, etc. I did do a few of her foam rolling workouts and until then, I hadn't really heard much about the piriformis. I swear, as soon as I heard about the piriformis, is pretty much when my pain started! It was so odd. I must have been too hard with the foam roller or something, but this hadn't happened to me before. It's kind of funny and odd to say the least!

I agree that strengthening is oftentimes more important than stretching. I did a Yoga with Kassandra video the other day and she said that also.

[QUOTE=Karla25;2947543I decided to start CS season 10 and go through it numerically instead of randomly choosing workouts. [/QUOTE]
This is what I usually do. I have them all in a list and I go through them in order. I think that I'll continue to do that. This is what I love about CS. It focuses on the entire body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I agree with Donna that stretching is not always the best route and pain is often caused by muscle weakness rather than tightness.
Hope you find something that helps!
Thank you so much for all those links. I'm adding them to my list. Thank you for taking the time to post all that.
Old 11-22-21, 05:12 PM  
Vantreesta

You're welcome, Negin! Obviously everyone is different, but it's nice to have a place to start!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-21, 03:41 AM  
Negin

I just wanted to thank everyone again. I've started to make a list of all of your suggestions. I plan to start working on it from today, and hopefully every day until my pain eases up. I'm telling myself to not neglect it once I start to feel better. Then I'll work on it still, but less frequently.

I just ordered CS Seasons 13, 14, and another one which I can't quite recall. They emailed me a free 14-day trial of online streaming. I've never streamed before and am excited to try it out. I doubt if I'll continue with it after the 14 days, first because I have all the DVDs; but also due to financial limitations. I hope to possibly stream later. They have an entire playlist for sciatica, which I plan on doing first while I have it.
Old 11-23-21, 08:21 AM  
donnamp

Thanks Negin, for your kind words!!! I always enjoy your posts, too.

Did you say your pain started after foam rolling? Maybe you did irritate something and in that case, probably just resting it would be best - maybe some ice or heat to help it to calm down?

I am sort of sad that Pahla's workouts don't work for me - I really enjoyed the simplicity of them and even though her message was the same from day to day her positivity was always a nice thing to hear every day. Maybe if I can work on strengthening my weak spots and/or figure out the moves that are triggers for me I can go back to doing her stuff...but for now I'm skipping it!

I do have to put in a plug for the video I linked above - I did it twice yesterday and noticed a difference in my pain. I think largely b/c it woke up some sleeping muscles in my hip/glutes which meant better movement patterns.

My hips and glutes have gotten quite weak from all the sitting I do - it is even worse w/ working from home b/c at least in the office I would get up more often. I need to do that more w/ working from home and I also do need to be more consistent with the exercises that are similar to what I did yesterday. I think doing stuff like that regularly will go a long way towards helping.

I love CS but it tends to be hit or miss for me as to how it works for pain relief - sometimes it is good other times it is bad!

I probably need both - a little flexibility/mobility and some strengthening, too.

hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-21, 10:47 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I have been plagued by a pain in my left butt cheek, plus it sometimes moves to other areas, for the last month-ish? I have found that stretching actually aggravates it -- well..... I have found a few mild stretches that help. Thanks to fanofladyvols who pointed me to the [pre]hab guys on instagram and their piriformis work in particular -- mostly mobility stuff but a couple of gentle stretches. It's really helped me. I just looked on youtube and can't find the exact clip I saw on instagram. Do you have an instagram account? If so, reach out to me and I can forward what ladyvols sent me. I'm summitbee.
Old 11-23-21, 11:34 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
This morning, I did a few of my usual morning stretches, since that's pretty all that I had time for, as well as 5 Best Sciatica Stretches for Quick Pain Relief (Must Try!) - Caroline Jordan. I feel much better already, but realize that it's something that I need to continue to do - strengthen and stretch.

I just did that video and there is some overlap with what I was trying to point you to with the [pre]hab guys. That 90-90 stretch. I went to physical therapy for this pain on my right side a few years ago and some of the stuff in Caroline's video was the same as my PT guy had me do. One thing -- the figure four stretch and the last one she did? I have found that a gentler hybrid of both of these helps me more. Basically I lay on my back, bring one leg in and pull the knee down toward my chest with my foot angled to the opposite leg, but not as dramatic as the figure 4 or the last stretch she did. I may not be explaining it well, but this I got from the [pre]hab guys. Also, doing pigeon on a bench with the non folded leg going down off the side of the bench -- so basically, a gentler version of pigeon -- helps me (also from PHG). Good luck!
Old 11-26-21, 02:23 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Did you say your pain started after foam rolling? Maybe you did irritate something and in that case, probably just resting it would be best - maybe some ice or heat to help it to calm down?
Donna, thanks again!
The problem is that I'm not sure. I can't tell for definite. I do know that I've never had this before. My lower back and hip area have seldom been problematic. My neck, upper back, and shoulders have always been my problem areas. I do know that I became more aware of it after foam rolling. The whole thing has been odd. I haven't changed much in my daily routine or exercise, but I had never really foam rolled before. I'm avoiding it for now.

Quote:
I am sort of sad that Pahla's workouts don't work for me - I really enjoyed the simplicity of them and even though her message was the same from day to day her positivity was always a nice thing to hear every day. Maybe if I can work on strengthening my weak spots and/or figure out the moves that are triggers for me I can go back to doing her stuff...but for now I'm skipping it!
Hopefully, you will be able to return to her soon. I love some of her routines. In fact, I've loved almost all the ones that I've tried.

I think that varying my workout types and/or instructors may be something that I need to focus more on. I'm trying to come up with a plan that's sustainable. It's one of those first-world problems when I have too many to choose from (as well as too little time).

I believe that as I get older, I need to remember to focus on balance and mobility. For balance work, I do like Pahla, but I also love Jane Adams. My balance is awful, and I'm trying to do some balance work most days.

Quote:
I do have to put in a plug for the video I linked above - I did it twice yesterday and noticed a difference in my pain. I think largely b/c it woke up some sleeping muscles in my hip/glutes which meant better movement patterns.
I'll be sure to focus on that one more. I've been busy trying out my sample CS streaming before it expires in less than two weeks. They have a sciatic playlist, as well as playlists for a bunch of other conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I have been plagued by a pain in my left butt cheek, plus it sometimes moves to other areas, for the last month-ish?
Do you have an instagram account?
I hope that you find relief soon.
I don't have an IG account, but thank you anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Basically I lay on my back, bring one leg in and pull the knee down toward my chest with my foot angled to the opposite leg, but not as dramatic as the figure 4 or the last stretch she did. I may not be explaining it well, but this I got from the [pre]hab guys. Also, doing pigeon on a bench with the non folded leg going down off the side of the bench -- so basically, a gentler version of pigeon -- helps me (also from PHG). Good luck!
I'm saving this and am going to try them both out.

Thank you again everyone!
Hope that everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-21, 08:45 AM  
fanofladyvols

Negin
I want to echo bee's advice of checking out prehab guys. Very educational and great modifications for all sorts of exercises. There is so much they have on different issues too.
and post a link to one of their videos and a back playlist. (There are even more than on the playlist in their channel for low back pain.)

https://youtu.be/Mx0PPNwfdvE

Back pain list
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...KJbDVc3BVQuEpo

This isn't even all their low back pain demos. Most are less than 5-6 minutes. Hope.exploring their channel helps.

I hope your pain resolves soon

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butt/glute workout, dean pohlman, glute activation, hip and glute pain, hip pain, man flow yoga, nerve flossing, nerve gliding, pain relief, piriformis