Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-21, 03:40 PM  
Erica H.

Donna, I never buy books - I borrow them all from the library. I own two books that have sentimental value and I wouldn't mind getting rid of them at this point.

DH is a book collector (mostly old Modern Library books) and he has thousands of books.

I've never read a book electronically, though.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 03:42 PM  
alisoncooks

I was an adamant holdout for paper books, but this past year has really led me to the land of digital. With the library closed so long, I really depended on the ebook offerings.

That said, I have a pretty large personal library. Thousands, I’m sure. I don’t have any plan to cull the masses, yet. That said, I don’t buy physical books anymore, unless they are tried and true books I love. And even so, I’ve started buying digital versions of books I have in physical form. My wrists are temperamental, and I find holding a kindle is kinder to my wrist than a fat book. (And certainly easier to pack for trips!)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 03:42 PM  
donnamp

Erica - I stopped buying books awhile back, too - unless it was used or a special deal or something I wanted that wasn't available at the library. We just have a lot from the past! I'm feeling like I want to clear it out - our library is back to doing used book sales, so I'm happy to have a place to donate books there.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 03:44 PM  
donnamp

Yes, Alison! I like the kindle for portability too - and my eyes just don't see small print very well these days - and the large books are hard to hold for long periods of time, especially, if, like me, you like to read in bed.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 03:55 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Donna, I still read from books only (digital books just don't seem to work for me, and I can't sustain my attention with audio. I do sometimes buy at used book sales if I can get novels for $1-2 (and yes, I do donate back!), but most of my fiction comes from the library. We also have several Little Libraries in our area, so I use those too.

The only books I keep are my yoga, Buddhism, and similar non-fiction books - my reference bookcase is overflowing. Oh, I also have my own therapy and psychology books here at work (and some self-help), but that collection has definitely dwindled.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 04:40 PM  
Leonana

Donna, I keep my favorite series, I collect them in hardback. I have one bookcase of books. Dh has two bookcases. We have decluttered them over the years though.
Old 11-11-21, 05:09 PM  
sherry7899

I do donate a ton of books to my library for their book sales, but I am still guilty of buying and keeping too many. I am going to go through my shelves to look for donations and make an effort to read what I already have. I do like to get books at my library sale. They are cheap! I try to borrow from my library as much as possible.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 05:10 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Donna, I still read from books only (digital books just don't seem to work for me, and I can't sustain my attention with audio.
Exactly the same for me.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 05:48 PM  
sherry7899

I cannot stand reading books on my kindle. I use it for internet since I don't have a smart phone and I love the big screen. I have to read physical books. I don't know why.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 05:59 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Vantreesta - thank you I will check her out.

Right now I'm reading Alice Hoffman's Magic Lessons which is a prequel to the Rules of Magic. I'm enjoying it but it is a slower read for me, not for any reason in particular, I think I just read Alice's books more slowly in general.

I do have next up V.E. Schwab - The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue.

Question - do you guys still buy/keep books? I do almost all of my reading on my Kindle these days - it is just easier on the eyes and (I have a paper white) but we still have a fairly large collection of books at home. We are thinking about seriously cutting our collection of paper books down - mostly for space reasons and also preparing for our future move several years down the road when we retire and probably downsize. There are some I will certainly save for sentimental and other reasons. What do you guys do?

If you visit a book sale do you end up keeping the book or donating it back?

Take care,

Donna
Thank you for taking a look, Donna!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading