Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-21, 04:48 PM  
kat999

I've learned that I am indeed an ambivert (part introvert, part extrovert) and while there are definitely some things I have liked about working from home and avoiding events i didn't want to go to anyway, I do have a certain amount of socializing that I miss desperately, and Zoom is not a good substitute. I also learned that even though I love working out at home with videos, I cannot wait to head back to my local yoga studio, I relish any day I can go running outside, and I am counting down the days until I have my second vaccine dose and then achieve as close to immunity as science will give me.

I will say I do not miss seeing some of my in-laws who are COVID deniers and anti-maskers, and I am not looking forward to any uncomfortable conversations about that stuff. :/
Old 04-04-21, 05:21 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Surprisingly, I have discovered how much I enjoy working from home. I always thought I wanted a clear separation between work and home, but I have found that working from home suits me so well.

While I have always been an introvert, I've learned how much I miss interacting with casual acquaintances, whether teammates in a dressing room, classmates in a sewing workshop, or briefly bumping into a long-ago running partner at a road race. (Speaking of which, I cannot wait to get back to in-person road races and the day I am standing with ten thousand other people on the start line. Virtual races do not cut it.)

I am so grateful to have discovered new instructors on YouTube (and that so many have joined YouTube since the start of the pandemic).

Curbside pickup is absolutely wonderful and I don't think I will ever go back to grocery shopping or most other shopping in person, beyond maybe clothing/footwear.

I don't think this will last, but it is so nice to be ushered straight into a medical appointment with no sitting around in a waiting room. I have not had a virtual appointment yet, but it seems like a nice option for something like a prescription renewal, etc so I hope that stays.

This may seem odd, but I feel so much less pressure to "accomplish" things, if that makes sense. As in, when somebody pre-pandemic would ask what was new with me or what I did over the weekend, I would always feel somewhat inadequate with my answer, like my life was boring compared to others. Now, I am completely at ease saying that I "only" read, baked, exercised, painted, or whatever at-home activity I have been doing

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 05:23 PM  
wendug

Lots of interesting responses here!

For the most part, my dh and my lives weren't disrupted too terribly much. He often works from home anyway and I continued making my mosaics. My dog walking jobs dried up, though. I miss seeing all my dog clients!

I realized that people that I know that are generally kind are INCREDIBLY kind during the pandemic. And those that were kind of jerks are REALLY jerks during the pandemic. I guess I got to see the true colors of some people. Unfortunately I think one of my brothers has been caught up in the whole QANON thing which is very sad. I don't talk with him for fear we'll end up in an argument. When my MIL passed away from Covid, he didn't even call or text to send condolences; he thinks the whole pandemic is a hoax.

I have talked to my parents more this past year than I have in a long time and I feel closer to them than I have in years. I'm so very grateful for that!
Old 04-04-21, 05:30 PM  
rhbrand

That a Gen X Introvert is just fine with stay at home orders. That's all I ever wanted to do was stay at home. Oh, I did miss movies, but we went to our first this last week so that's nice.

That I kinda like wearing masks cause I can mouth how stupid people are, but no one can see me mouthing that I think the non-masker is stupid.

I miss church. Its been over a year since I went and I think I'm going to go sometime this month Online church is ok, but its not church, you know.

And this has made my lazy streak really come out cause I'm happy to read, watch tv, play video games and hardly move all day long. I know, sad, but my favorite hobbies revolve around sitting lol
Old 04-04-21, 05:31 PM  
BunnyHop

The other responses have reminded me that I have learned a lot about myself this year.

I picked up bullet journaling and have found it to be a huge help in keeping track of things. Seriously has changed my focus and habits, in good ways.
I just started my second journal, and am kind of surprised to see how strong my opinions are about what I want to keep track of, and how unproductive I feel when I try to use my journals in ways that don't suit me.

It's helped me get some hobbies organized and to see which ones have persisted across my life, though before I'd have just not given them much thought. Knowing they matter, I give them a bit more focus, and keep better records, which makes it easier to enjoy.

Oh, and I've realized I need to do another pantry deep cleaning. Stuff I haven't touched since last year should probably go.

Just realized that I had some packets of cheese that had been in the fridge since last year (best buy date of 7/2021, LOL!)
Old 04-04-21, 05:46 PM  
rhbrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
The other responses have reminded me that I have learned a lot about myself this year.

I picked up bullet journaling and have found it to be a huge help in keeping track of things. Seriously has changed my focus and habits, in good ways.
I just started my second journal, and am kind of surprised to see how strong my opinions are about what I want to keep track of, and how unproductive I feel when I try to use my journals in ways that don't suit me.
(best buy date of 7/2021, LOL!)
I'm still working on trying to figure out what to track in my bullet journal. I think I'm going to focus on tracking my books read, and strangely enough my World of Warcraft characters.
Old 04-04-21, 08:24 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i never wanted to go out or hang out with people much before the pandemic so the pandemic gave me cover in being a hermit and i like that part of my personality.

about life in general i would say i came to see just how truly selfish people in Florida can be - we have a huge senior population and the people of the state fought like crazy against any measure that would insure the health and safety of the seniors. I am so turned off by it that i can't wait to move out of the state of Florida.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 08:43 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I realized that, although I knew the teaching profession had changed since I started teaching 21 years ago, it has become almost unrecognizable to me and I really don't want to be in this profession anymore. I'm 54 and don't want to think about "sticking it out" until retirement. That's a long time to be unhappy with your job.

DH and I are perfectly content at home on the weekends, although I do miss going to the movie theater that's up the street from my house. We discovered the joys of Yahtzee when lockdown started last year and are still going strong with several games a week.

I learned that as long as I have my DVDs, streaming subscriptions, workout equipment and books I can keep myself entertained indefinitely.

I am very thankful for VF. I don't post much, but I do visit here several times a day and it makes me happy to do so.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 11:43 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I've learned that the women who staff my library are SELFLESS!!!! God bless these ladies. They don't hold library degrees (that guy sits behind a desk and ignores us hoi polloi), but they go out of their way to find the books we want in the library system, and they spend hours each day carting books outside to us who wait in our comfy cars—and they do this in all kinds of weather.
So, so true!!! (Although both men and women staff our local library and seem to do equal on the labor front.) Our library has stayed closed the entire pandemic except for curbside service (they think they might reopen in June). When we had a snow storm, they sent out an email apologizing that they would have to close curbside service earlier on these days due to weather conditions. I was shocked they even stayed open at all when the weather was bad since they have to run outside, write down your name (which we print really big on a piece of paper), then fetch the items, then come back out and put them in your car--and always cheerful about it whether it was hot, cold, windy, or whatever outside.

Apparently (at least at our library) library usage went up during the pandemic, even though it was curbside only.

We learned our library has an amazing dvd collection, we could get acorntv for free and use kanopy and hoopla for streaming--all streaming services courtesy of our library that we never made good use of pre-pandemic.

We also attended some really great* (and some more medicore) zoom events hosted by our library or multiple area libraries.

*About a dozen local libraries banded together to host a live zoom event with Dr. Ibram X Kendi and a local respected journalist followed by a Q&A session. I think the librarians said there were over 5,000 zoom attendees between all the library districts!

My second favorite zoom event/presentation was "The Colorful History of the Little Black Dress." The presenter was quite engaging.

The description of the presentation was: "Versatile, dependable, and affordable, the Little Black Dress (LBD) has become the fashion equivalent of the Ford Model T. In this illustrated lecture, historian Leslie Goddard, Ph.D., explores the history of this fashion icon. Learn how Chanel helped dissociate black from mourning, how Audrey Hepburn helped establish the LBD, and how it has been reinvented by everyone from Betty Boop to Prada."

It was even better than I expected and covered a lot more historical stuff than the description. So if there are any librarians out there running out of ideas for zoom guest speakers...I highly recommend her and the little black dress presentation.

There was also a zoom event with the "Clean Mama" lady but that ended up being just "okay" IMO.

I still will be super happy though when all the area libraries reopen because our library has a pitiful poetry collection and I've pretty much exhausted all of their knitting books. However, there are several nearby libraries that I can browse and check out books from that have excellent poetry and knitting collections. But most of these libraries (understandably) don't do curbside for people who aren't cardholders there.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 12:33 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I learned that our relatively simple, outdoorsy lifestyle was only slightly impacted by the pandemie (the French/German word that we use in our household to describe the past year). While some folks thought we were pushing the envelope, my husband (the scientist in the family, he who reads medical journals for work and runs clinical trials too) figured that the data indicated our "under 10" kids were the least subsceptible and he was the most vulnerable (he's 54) but figured the risk was manageable enough (he gets his first vaccine shot tomorrow - yay!) As such, our kids were the first ones back in "real" preschool/school/camp as soon as we could make it happen.

During the worst part of the lockdown, given the generally very good weather of the SF Bay Area, we took the kids out on lots of hikes and exploring beaches and creeks. And then there was archery, kayaking, tennis and bike riding too, along with mushroom hunting in the winter and spring. And lots of neighborhood walks to buy groceries and grab takeout lunch.

For myself, in the winter (where there's a bit of rain and shorter days), I decided to learn some new stuff so I picked up step aerobics (after 20 years of being a vidiot) and can do beginner routines with Gilad, Kathy Smith, Gin Miller and Kathy Kaehler so I'm pleased with my progress. I also lengthened my hamstrings with more forward bending yoga practices and after I got reassurance from my ob-gyn (note: I've had two C-sections), I took steps towards getting back into full wheel pose and I did it! Nowadays, after ~9 years of not doing full wheel regularly, I'm practicing the pose again twice a week -- woot!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, getting to know you, introversion, introverts