Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-21, 10:30 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I listened to the Audio version of "You" and there's also a Netflix series by the same title. There's currently two seasons (season two is the second book, which I'm still listening to before I watch it).

I agree, it's quite disturbing to see how he gathers all this info about Beck just through her social media postings!
My copy has the actor's photo on the cover (Dan from Gossip Girl!) and I've been waffling about whether to watch the show. Maybe once I shake the creepy hangover from the book

Currently reading a non-fiction account of the development of two different perfumes called The Perfect Scent by Chandler Burr. It has been on my shelf for years and very interesting so far.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-21, 10:51 AM  
BunnyHop

Started "Can You Forgive Her?" by Anthony Trollope in audio cd. It's the first of the Palliser's series.

Character based stories, a huge novel set in the mid 1800's in England.

Soap opera, with Victorian restraint and subtle humor. Just my cup of tea.
Old 05-26-21, 06:13 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I'm reading The Future of Nutrition by T. Colin Campbell, PhD
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 11:41 PM  
Pam

Would love some recommendations on some titles of happy books. Just finished reading Stones from the River (small town life in Germany before, during and after WWII). About 2/3 ways through The Four Winds (Depression era of families struggling to survive on pennies a day).

Plz, some suggestions of books to read that are happier stories. Going to the library tomorrow, would love suggestions of older books, so that they are likely to be on the shelves. TIA!
Old 05-27-21, 03:48 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Would love some recommendations on some titles of happy books. Just finished reading Stones from the River (small town life in Germany before, during and after WWII). About 2/3 ways through The Four Winds (Depression era of families struggling to survive on pennies a day).

Plz, some suggestions of books to read that are happier stories. Going to the library tomorrow, would love suggestions of older books, so that they are likely to be on the shelves. TIA!
Not a story, but Jerry Seinfeld's book, "Is This Anything?" was really funny.

"When Life Gives You Pears" by Jeannie Gaffigan was uplifting and touching. She managed to make a serious subject (her cancer) humorous somehow.

The Andy Carpenter series by David Rosenfelt looks really good. I read the first one so far (Open and Shut) and liked it a lot and didn't expect to. I definitely want to read more of them. I read that you don't need to read them in order.

DH loves PG Wodehouse books (Jeeves).

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 05:44 AM  
Carol K

Quote:

If you liked Stones from the River, I recommend The Patron Saint of Pregnant Girls by the same author. There is sadness, but not nearly as much as Stones from the River and it's from a much earlier time period. There is a lot of caring for ones' friends and neighbors in this story.
Old 05-27-21, 10:20 AM  
Pam

Thanks Erica and Carol! The library has a few of these titles on their shelves and others I have requested.

The Four Winds and Stones from the River are great books of events that shouldn't be forgotten. I highly recommend them, but need a few lighter books right now and your recommendations sound perfect!
Old 05-27-21, 10:31 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
I posted about it in the prev reading thread, but Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher is one of the nicest, coziest books I've ever read. Lots of people being kind to each other and offering cups of tea.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 10:47 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I posted about it in the prev reading thread, but Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher is one of the nicest, coziest books I've ever read. Lots of people being kind to each other and offering cups of tea.
That sounds like a good one to put on my list too, thanks! I just finished “Sleeping Tiger” by the same author & really enjoyed it. It was a light enjoyable read. I’ve always enjoyed her books.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 11:38 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

September is my favorite Rosamunde Pilcher book. Her books are not all sweetness and light, but the realistic life challenges are interspersed with lots of cozy cups of tea, descriptions of interesting landscapes, and helping hands offered by friends and with good quality writing. The ones from The Shell Seekers on are all pretty long.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading