Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-20, 12:35 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Summer Breeze that's just ridiculous. Your employers will really love it when the whole place is sick including the bosses.
Yes it's so irresponsible of them. I work in a restaurant so it's also the customers who are impacted in addition to the staff. The poor kid is 20 years old and an assistant manager and I think he's trying so hard to be conscientious and do a good job so he fell for the pressure. If it was me, I would have told them to go you know what.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 12:43 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I work in a public library. We are struggling to find hand sanitizer for our patrons. We have told staff to wash their hands frequently. But for the patrons the hand sanitizer is a must.

What I don't understand is the hoarders that are purchasing them for their homes. You just do not need that much hand sanitizer for your home. Keep your surfaces clean and wash your hands. I have seen folks at grocery stores walking out with cases of them.

But as a public building, I cannot find any. Very frustrating.

Mary
They could possibly be trying to buy some for family members. I have older family members in GA and SC and they can't find any hand sanitizer anywhere
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 01:31 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

We have also experienced severe hurricane resulting in the destruction of the power grid, earthquake, tsunami, flooding, and wildfires. This past October we had to evacuate due to smoke from a nearby wildfire, and lost power for 5 days. We are well prepared at all times, down to backpacks next to the door filled with supplies for 2 days if we have to leave on a moment's notice. We have a couple of bins of supplies in the garage we can load in the car if we have some notice. So last minute stockpiling isn't something we need to do. People are going nuts and showing their worst side over this. That said, I'm 66 and my husband is 75, we both have asthma. We are being real hermits these days, I won't go to our community gym or pool facilities because if one of us gets this, the other will get it, and it won't be good.

This article from a peer-reviewed journal says the virus can survive anywhere from 2 hours to 9 days. Go figure

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.co...virus-outbreak

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 04:50 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
This article from a peer-reviewed journal says the virus can survive anywhere from 2 hours to 9 days. Go figure

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.co...virus-outbreak
Thanks for that. I'm guessing the vagueness is because they just don't have enough experience with it to know.
Old 03-09-20, 05:24 PM  
shoegoddess

As I said up thread I live in a tourist area that relys heavily on that industry financially. I'm on the next door app in my area and there's a huge percentage that are livid the tennis tournament was cancelled and are not to happy Coachellafest and Stagecoach may be also although it's to soon to know that. The almighty dollar vs the health of the community especially the many seniors that live out here.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 08:00 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I work in a very small WalMart in a small town. We ran out of hand sanitizer a couple of days ago and chlorox etc. wipes were getting low today. We still have plenty of toilet paper, water, etc.

So...how do I keep from touching my face a zillion times a day? Any tips or tricks? I tried to be aware today and still found myself rubbing my itchy nose before I could stop myself. I've joked that I am going to get some skunk spray or other equally offensive stuff from sporting goods and smear it on my hands. Any less extreme ideas would be welcome.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 09:55 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

I use a kleenex or paper towel instead of my hands. That means I keep a folded up piece of paper in my pocket and on the ready. Never use your hands only the paper.
Old 03-09-20, 10:29 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
I work in a very small WalMart in a small town. We ran out of hand sanitizer a couple of days ago and chlorox etc. wipes were getting low today. We still have plenty of toilet paper, water, etc.

So...how do I keep from touching my face a zillion times a day? Any tips or tricks? I tried to be aware today and still found myself rubbing my itchy nose before I could stop myself. I've joked that I am going to get some skunk spray or other equally offensive stuff from sporting goods and smear it on my hands. Any less extreme ideas would be welcome.
_____
YADeb
You just have to keep reminding yourself until it becomes second nature. Make sure your hands are clean before touching your face. Or, use a tissue as Softshoe recommended.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 11:38 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I live in Silicon Valley and work for "Big Tech" -- I couldn't believe how many people took the "work from home if you prefer" advice to heart today. Healthy people <50 years are avoiding trains and employer shuttles... which will likely lead to bus drivers and kitchen staff being furloughed (which means the won't have paychecks and be able to pay insurance deductibles for their kid's broken arm or something else that requires immediate medical attention).
Unbelievable. I'm supporting the local economy and will continue to take trains and buses and eat at the company cafe. And I will wash my hands well (sing "Row, Row Your Boat") and carry hand sanitizer but enough is enough. My husband is 50+, we've got two small kids and been dealing with other infectious diseases (head lice, pinworms) so aside from hand hygiene, we've stocked up for a two-week self-quarantine but no other measures have been taken... And my husband likes to remind me he learned how to survive without toilet paper while traveling in India many, many years ago (just need your hand, and then lots of soap and water after the deed!)
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 07:34 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Well, my school just closed today so I'm off for 2 weeks.
On the plus side, it'll be a great time to get back to fitness for me.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing