Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-19, 12:59 PM  
BunnyHop

Well, I finally got one.

I've been debating the idea for a long time and the Sensonest ones have some with pretty covers. I got the blue and white.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-25-19, 06:29 AM  
Sandrine

I wanted to try one, without a huge investment, so I bought one at Ollie's for $49 . It is 100% cotton with glass bead and batting fill. The label says Dry Clean only. Mine is 12 lbs, which is less than the 10% mark for me, but I don't think I would want to go heavier. It's just plain gray, so not very pretty.

I bought it because I tend to sleep better (meaning waking less often) in cooler weather when I can use heavier blankets, like Taiga mentioned. I've used mine 4-5 nights and did feel like I slept more soundly, but only if it was cooler in the room, when I could have just used my comforter.

I noticed this thread was tagged with restless leg syndrome, which I occasionally experience; I had a mild bout of it a few nights ago, and thought the blanket didn't help much. Like Dianestjohn, above, I do think it is soothing and quite calming. If I use it to read in bed, I feel relaxed and ready for sleep sooner than without it.

Hth!
Sandrine
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 07:33 AM  
sherry7899

I bought one from Amazon, and found it has been helping me sleep better (fingers crossed). I am a VERY restless sleeper, and the weight of the blanket keeps me from tossing and turning as much, so I am waking up less.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 09:22 AM  
kat999

My parents got one and didn't like it, so they passed it on to me, and I loved it, but after just a few weeks, it started leaking beads, and I couldn't tell where the tear was. We have two cats who liked to cuddle on it, and I assume they accidentally scratched some small holes in it. Not wanting the cats to ingest the beads, we've stuck the blanket, wrapped up in a regular blanket, in a closet until I have the time and energy to figure out how to repair it. Long story short: the cheaper ones might be poorly protected from pets with claws, so be careful!
Old 04-25-19, 10:28 AM  
Lannette

I find myself wishing that there was a weighted throw that would just cover my torso. I have no idea if it would be effective.

We have a down throw that I got at 60% off. I bought it for our TV room for DH. After a sleepless night I’ve napped under it and had THE most wonderful naps. There’s something about the way it throws your own body heat back at you that feels soothing to me. I keep trying to leave it at the bottom of the bed to try it on a sleepless night but DH keeps taking it back downstairs. I probably need to get another.

ETA: I finally put the down throw to the test. Woke up at 2:30 am this morning knowning I’d be staring at the ceiling until daylight. Went downstairs got the throw took it upstairs and just as with my previous naps I drifted right off.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss

Last edited by Lannette; 04-27-19 at 08:42 AM. Reason: To add
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-19, 08:19 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I bought one for my daughter -she requested one to help with anxiety. I got her one that was a little less than 10%of her BW and it was too heavy. The company (SensaCalm) will take them back, even custom made ones if they are returned in a certain amt. of time but my husband uses it to help him sleep. He loves it. I got an 8 lb one for my daughter which is better but I don’t know how much she uses it.
Lanette, SensaCalm makes them in many sizes and I think you should check out their website to see if one will suit you.
I also purchased a cover for both blankets to make washing easier.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-19, 08:53 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Lanette, SensaCalm makes them in many sizes and I think you should check out their website to see if one will suit you.
Thanks so much for mentioning this! I’ll check it out.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 04-27-19, 06:41 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

You are welcome Lanette. Just wanted to add that you can order the blankets and covers in any of the many fabrics they show online but they also have some in stock.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-19, 08:57 AM  
Lannette

I visited the site but they wouldn’t allow me to browse without providing my email address. I’ll try again later on my iPad.

I updated my post about our down throw because I was sleepless early this morning and I went downstairs and brought it up to bed. It lulled me to sleep just as it does for a nap. So here I am a 63 yo woman contemplating ordering her very own “blankie.”

Tags
restless leg syndrome, rls, weighted blanket