Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-19, 10:02 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Gushing over old & new DVDs that are dusted off/new to me..

I've been dealing with a tweaky knee (checked myself into a physical therapist's office earlier in the year) so have had to refocus on split workouts and also taking care of my knee... which in turn means also really taking care of my gluteus medius and quads. I've been missing my kettlebell and circuit-style workouts and also barefoot cardio stuff (can't do that many plies until I, pray tell, fix that right knee!) but fortunately, I can still hike and bike mostly unhindered.

To console myself, I decided to add more upper body strength training options to my collection and after browsing threads here, acquired Cathe's Ramped Upper Body, ICE Chiseled Upper Body and Stacked Upper Body Sets. All of them are *amazing* and each one is unique! I was worried I'd get more of the "traditional" Cathe workouts I already have and have enjoyed for years (e.g. Muscle Max). Ramped is one tough workout. The other two new ones are a bit more approachable, especially when I'm blurry eyed at 6:30 AM and need to be wrapped up in 35-40 mins flat so I can get to kids' stuff and get to work. I also finally cracked open an ancient trade, namely the upper body split of Total Body Trisets, and found that to be fun, challenging (lots of integrated core work) and different too!

In terms of dusting off stuff, I've been really enjoying Cathe's original Pyramid workout and since I'm craving more variety to jazz things up, I just ordered her Pyramid Pump DVD from Total Fitness DVDs. And the *star* on the lower body and really everything else front is Denise Beatty's Fitness Fix Intermediate -- my knees have improved with PT exercises but this is the perfect "take it up a notch" routine that emphasizes precise form, balanced strength as well as mobility and flexibility. Love it! I'm committing to doing this twice a week because the benefits are so enormous and apparent on my knees. And it's no cake walk on all the other lower body parts. When it's hard at points, I just modify to an easier option (which she always provides) and my butt has been burning after some sessions... yep, which is why the foam rolling and flexibility segments are handy. If I have time, I also try to the 55-minute foam rolling and stretch segment of Spinervals' Flexible Warrior -- it's like stretchy yoga combined with foam rolling so athletic approach that's still relaxing enough and super helpful for achy bits.

Any other recent revelations to share? It's no wonder I haven't bought a streaming subscription yet. My shelves are full of great options!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-19, 11:48 AM  
Mickey12

Great to hear that you're so enthusiastic about having to work within your limitations. Instead of looking at the glass half empty, you've chosen the opposite. Good for you! I don't have much to add, but I wanted to give encouragement. Keep it up!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-19, 05:42 PM  
alisoncooks

Gah! How have I never heard of that Fitness Fix DVD! So now I have that *and* a balance disc coming my way. (I'm the opposite of "dusting off oldies from my collection" -- I've been on a exercise DVD buying bender.)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-19, 05:02 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanywu View Post
In terms of dusting off stuff, I've been really enjoying Cathe's original Pyramid workout and since I'm craving more variety to jazz things up, I just ordered her Pyramid Pump DVD from Total Fitness DVDs. And the *star* on the lower body and really everything else front is Denise Beatty's Fitness Fix Intermediate -- my knees have improved with PT exercises but this is the perfect "take it up a notch" routine that emphasizes precise form, balanced strength as well as mobility and flexibility. Love it! I'm committing to doing this twice a week because the benefits are so enormous and apparent on my knees. And it's no cake walk on all the other lower body parts. When it's hard at points, I just modify to an easier option (which she always provides) and my butt has been burning after some sessions... yep, which is why the foam rolling and flexibility segments are handy. If I have time, I also try to the 55-minute foam rolling and stretch segment of Spinervals' Flexible Warrior -- it's like stretchy yoga combined with foam rolling so athletic approach that's still relaxing enough and super helpful for achy bits.
Cathe's Pyramid DVD is an all time favorite of mine. I really appreciate the fact that they are straight reps and there are no pulses and low ends. I find that those bother my back and need to substitute a slower count instead. I never liked them anyway to be honest.

Fitness Fix is really good, I have the beginner and intermediate DVD but use the beginner one more. The intermediate one is tougher for sure. I really need to utilize the foam rolling segment more though, but I like the scenery, the lack of music doesn't bother me and I really like Denise as an instructor.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote