Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-09, 05:24 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Restless legs - any workout recommendations or tips?

I've suffered from restless legs syndrome for years and I have a family history of it. Because I work odd hours this compounds my sleeping issues. I have found that if I exercise daily it reduces the number/intensity of episodes. However, menopause has been definitely aggravating it. I am getting so little sleep lately it's driving me nuts. It's no fun to work a long night shift and then come home and wind up pacing the floor all night long.

I have tried lots of things with minimal success: ice packs, hot packs, warm baths, magnesium supplements, calf stretches, forward bends/yoga stretches, massage, eliminating caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, etc. I haven't been impressed with the prescription drugs for this ailment providing much benefit for the high incidence of side effects, and I'm a pharmacist who usually believes in drugs as a cure

Anyone else suffer with this? Anyone find symptom improvement with more step aerobics or kickboxing or plyometrics or heavy weight training for lower body or vice versa? I'd definitely consider changing my exercise routine mix if I thought it might improve the restless legs...

At this point I'm pretty sure I would consider any remedies, including voodoo for myself or others
Old 07-31-09, 06:10 PM  
penlynwilson

Iron

Have you had your serum ferritin checked? Low iron stores aggrivate RLS. Even if you're low normal, you may need supplementation. I'll have to double-check the levels.
penlynwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 06:28 PM  
ella

I suffer from restless legs as well but for some reason it is much worse in the winter. I haven't found one thing that works 100% of the time. Stretching before bed helps, massaging my legs and my Aunt (who is very much into holistic remedies) told me to eat half of a banana before bed. I'm not sure what about the banana helps but it usually works.

Good luck and I hope you find some relief soon.
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 06:39 PM  
fitness4life

I haven't been diagnosed officially with RLS but after talking to my family doctor about my symptoms he feels its a very mild form and/or the start of what could develop into it - I've found relief at this point, from just taking Advil before bed - as it wasn't something I was getting every night, I decided to not take my chances each night and just take an advil and be done - my Dr. felt that if this was what worked then to just keep doing it... as my situation doesn't seem to be as severe as yours might be, it worked for me.

good luck!!!
Old 07-31-09, 07:19 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnP View Post
I have found that if I exercise daily it reduces the number/intensity of episodes.
Going for long walks tires out my legs I guess because when I haven't been as active + stress or anxiety, I am prone to restless legs. You also might try taking melatonin.
Old 08-01-09, 05:57 AM  
cooldham

Have you tried putting a bar of ivory soap at the foot of your bed? Seriously, the People's Pharmacy (NPR, newspapers, etc.) have people call in and write ALL the time about this is an old wives' tale...but it works!

Check it out:

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2008/...ap-remedy-sti/

I mean, it's worth a try, right?
cooldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 06:27 AM  
GeminiGLB

I just started taking a medication for it, but prior to getting the official diagnosis, I would throw a foam roller on the floor and use it to massage the parts of my legs that were restless. Definitely seemed to help, at least it calmed the creepy-crawly feeling down to a dull roar so my exhaustion could take over and I could fall asleep.
GeminiGLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 09:29 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

I thought the soap thing was for leg cramps, which is very different from RLS. But I could be wrong -- it's happened. Same with bananas -- potassium depletion is thought to be responsible for leg cramping (dehydration too) and bananas help restore that mineral. I suppose a connection between leg cramping and RLS is possible, I'm just unaware of it.

I've had RLS in the past and occasionally it resurfaces (ugh!). Anemia is indeed possibly linked but so is consumption of caffeine, smoking etc. And many drugs, like tagamet. And I've seen B6 mentioned as being helpful. I guess it can't hurt. I think, in my case, anemia was involved in at least one go-round.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 10:52 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I occassionally have RLS, and find that bananas do not help me. I eat at least one banana every day, so lack of potassium should not be an issue for me. I'm also not anemic, but I do drink coffee so maybe that's what's contributing to my occassional RLS.

What does help me however, is one ibuprofen (Advil etc) in the evening, if needed. Also, before I fall asleep, I elevate my legs for several minutes on a pillow when I'm in bed. That does help somewhat.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 12:02 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Dr. Gott's column has mentioned the bar of soap under the bottom sheet, for restless legs. Can't do any harm, and it worked for me. I use a small bar, hotel-size. Supposedly Dove soap won't work.

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
potassium, restless leg syndrome