Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-21, 07:50 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
... I should try the challenge again. Has anyone done something like this?
Not quite like that. I do well sorting general categories, though. Might give it a go. Thanks for the idea!

Marie Kondo revolutionized laundry day at my house, but I've managed to back slide. Bad news, I don't fold my undies any more. Good news? The drawer is otherwise uncluttered, so it doesn't matter. Got rid of about a decade's worth of old clothes in those drawers, and it made such a huge difference.
Old 07-12-21, 06:51 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
FOLV - my DH hates to throw anything out. I have to do it when he is not home.
Mine is the same but I can't purge others things. Which is why this is a great victory. In the Great Move Purge, I caught him rescuing things he was sure I'd regret. So that was painful to get through. However, he has a long way to go. He refused yesterday to purge his khakis that are shredded at the ends. Says he's gonna grill in them to keep the bugs off. Ugh.

Quote:
This is probably old news, but I came across this site years ago and attempted the 30 Day Challenge.

http://www.fromoverwhelmedtoorganize...luttering.html

I should try the challenge again. Has anyone done something like this?
If this is old news, then I missed it! Thanks so much because this is what I do but nice to have all organized in a list!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 11:34 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Mine is the same but I can't purge others things. Which is why this is a great victory. In the Great Move Purge, I caught him rescuing things he was sure I'd regret. So that was painful to get through. However, he has a long way to go. He refused yesterday to purge his khakis that are shredded at the ends. Says he's gonna grill in them to keep the bugs off. Ugh.
Sigh...

Quote:
If this is old news, then I missed it! Thanks so much because this is what I do but nice to have all organized in a list!
As I am a late arrival to this (and *cough* other check-ins), I didn't know if it was a resource that had been mentioned.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-21, 09:37 PM  
fanofladyvols

Alta that list has really been helpful. I added some areas and omitted others.

I am every other day doing a quick 15 on areas in that list that Alta referenced. (Thank you! ) Been super easy to add to my housecleaning run through depending on which room I'm focusing on.

My husband let go of some clothes and I quickly bagged and delivered two small reusable bags to Goodwill over the weekend...woohoo. Some is better than none!

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 07-21-21, 09:57 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
The timed/timer method definitely works for me when I'm not feeling very motivated. Good job on the tidying up!

Yes, I tend to like the "bigger" decluttering/tidying projects because I can see more visual progress. Sometimes it's a bit less motivating to spend hours on a somewhat tedious, minutia organizing/decluttering project that doesn't always result in much visual progress or much space gained. I'm talking organizing my buttons (for knitting), makeup, photographs, etc.

Yes there is some satisfaction if everything is much more organized visually and more accessible in the end and I might eek out a bit more space, but it's not quite as dramatic as dumping large file boxes of old paperwork, donating garbage bags of clothes, clearing a cabinet, etc. Yet, at the same time, small projects are less labor-intensive (still can be just as mentally taxing tough--especially photos!!!).
I think that is one part of my problem. It feels good to organize a drawer or yarn or other things like that but if it isn't smthg hubby or someone else would notice then it almost feels like I wasted my time.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-21, 10:25 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I think that is one part of my problem. It feels good to organize a drawer or yarn or other things like that but if it isn't smthg hubby or someone else would notice then it almost feels like I wasted my time.
When I started packing up our house, getting ready to move to another state, I felt that way. I'd pack a box here and a box there and I started with the stuff we used the least, so it wasn't really noticeable. At some point though, gaps started appearing, and it became very obvious. So, I guess it might be good to aim to do multiple of those "small organizations" and, at some point, your husband will notice. And you'll feel good about it. Anyway, justs a thought.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-21, 10:37 PM  
fanofladyvols

Vantreesta it's not a time waste. You could also take that advice in that link Alta posted and take a before and after picture.

Honestly, just having had to pack up a house makes you realize that ...every drawer ...every cupboard matters.

Every bit you organize now, saves precious time later...keep at it Vannie!!

Old 07-21-21, 11:02 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
When I started packing up our house, getting ready to move to another state, I felt that way. I'd pack a box here and a box there and I started with the stuff we used the least, so it wasn't really noticeable. At some point though, gaps started appearing, and it became very obvious. So, I guess it might be good to aim to do multiple of those "small organizations" and, at some point, your husband will notice. And you'll feel good about it. Anyway, justs a thought.
Quote:
Vantreesta it's not a time waste. You could also take that advice in that link Alta posted and take a before and after picture.

Honestly, just having had to pack up a house makes you realize that ...every drawer ...every cupboard matters.

Every bit you organize now, saves precious time later...keep at it Vannie!!
Thanks, guys! I'll try to keep that in mind when I get discouraged bc nothing looks any different!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-21, 11:06 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Ah, see I get a little "thrill" or little feeling of self-satisfaction whenever I open a drawer or walk into a space I've successfully tackled/organized. I guess that's what keeps me motivated in the end to slog through even the most tedious stuff. It also helps that I like any excuse to get out my label maker Plus, I try to keep in mind how much the organization/decluttering is going to make my life EASIER in the long-term.

For example, I tamed the main junk drawer about 9 years ago and it's still miraculously under control to this day, and I love always being about to find the measuring tape, scissors, rulers, clothespins, scrap paper, etc. in their little designated spots and returning them to their spots when I'm done using them. Other areas of the house (like the large pantry) require more ongoing effort/"maintenance" to keep tidy and also sometimes need a bit of tweeking or reorganizing from time to time depending on our needs or food buying/storage habits changing.

I'm currently working on my makeup stash (not huge, but more than I thought originally...), which desperately needs to be gone through, bad/expired product thrown out, and the rest consolidated and organized in one area. Not fun!!! (for me at least)

Up next after the makeup is helping my mom get rid of many of her serving/entertaining pieces and other random kitchen items that she's finally decided she's never going to use again (as far as the dining/entertaining stuff, she just wants to keep her favorite decorative stuff in the china cabinet and the stuff she uses for Thanksgiving and Christmas). Other than that, it can mainly all go.

Hopefully I can find the items new homes on craigslist. Not expecting to make much money on the whole thing. She let me craigslist a few things earlier in the year but now she's finally admitting to herself that aside from Thanksgiving and Christmas, her idea of entertaining is taking people out to a restaurant.

Another breakthrough: she agreed to let go of her traditional glass blender along with an extra glass pitcher for the blender. She hasn't used it since she got a vitamix about 10 years ago. Every year or two I would ask her, "still want the blender?" and every year it was, "yes, keep the blender" until this year's breakthrough--finally the blender can go!!! (and in going, freeing up pantry space for the stuff she actually uses)
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-21, 11:51 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

We are more than halfway through the FR and pantry remodel. The paneling is down and sheetrock is up and painted. Lots of dust generated.
Tomorrow the floor is going down and next week the cabinets get installed in the pantry.
The decluttering that I started in preparation for the remodel was productive but there is still a bunch of stuff I didn't know what to do with so I threw it in boxes and put in basement. But I did get rid of:
1) more than half of the things that are my son's that he said he didn't want.
2) Exercise bands (the ones you can use for assisted pull ups) they were old and in poor condition
3) A crappy desk (more of a table really) went to the dumpster. 2 of the 3 we had are gone and the third we are only keeping until we get a nicer one.
4) A wood filing cabinet. Its seen better days so its pared down contents are now in plastic filing boxes at least for the time being.
5) Rx dog food that my dog will not eat went to the animal shelter. Chewy even gave me a refund and told me to just donate it.
6) A large suitcase like device that heats items up to kill bed bugs. Yes really. I got it when I was obsessed with bed bugs since we travel alot. Having the dumpster was a blessing for dealing with this mistake.
7) I donated/disposed of two old cell phones at t-Mobile.
8) Several boxes and bags of things are in my garage for the next charity org pick up.
9) Gave pet toys to a friend. I also gave her some leftover building materials to add to a donation she is making to habitat for humanity.
10) Beer to some young guys at work. We had alot and it was taking up space in the basement.

There is more that I can't think of. My next step is to slowly and carefully decide what I want to put back upstairs. And of course get rid of the rest.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter