Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-20, 04:09 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
This thread is kind of sad. I didn't know about the "mean girls" and probably wouldn't have cared less if they jumped on me.
But it's sad that others feel intimidated to post.

I read the threads often, post when I feel I have something to contribute or a question to ask.

GROUP HUG EVERYONE! In these times, life is too precious to waste it being mean.
I could have written every one of your sentences, Kate!

If anyone was mean to me, it probably went right over my head. And, no, I wasn't even raised in one of those combative family situations. But then, geez, I hope I wasn't mean to anyone. I don't think I have been, but as was already mentioned, some people can be so easily offended. I'm not criticizing them. My beloved mother is like that still--at the age of 90! You'd think that someone of her age and experience wouldn't give a rip what anyone else thinks, but no. And yet I love and respect her to no end. We're all different, is what I'm trying to say. People at both ends of the offensive/defensive spectrum need to try to understand one another, and we often just need to let it slide and give someone (whom we have probably never even met in person!) the benefit of the doubt. And don't take it so personally.

Rant over,
Donna
Old 03-20-20, 04:21 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I’ve seen this phrase here a few times lately and I find it a bit confusing (and annoying to be honest ). Apparently, this “lurker fear” is the main reason why VF has been so slow in recent years.
From December:

Quote:
That's true. Mostly due to the radical political correctness movement. You must censor and double-think all posts and replies.

I wonder if that is also a cause of the diminishing posts on VF?
I still agree with others who've said, in this and earlier threads, that the overall decrease in activity on VF comes mainly from a general move away from forums.

I also see that individuals may at least hesitate to post. (For example, I too would've rephrased the "delicate flower" part, in part because I don't see it as encouraging or even prodding replies from lurkers.)

The resulting lack of activity is just more noticeable when general activity decreases. As I've said before, I suspect that many more VFers have left VF long ago because they didn't feel free to post; they just weren't "noticed" because their numbers were being replaced by new members.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 05:49 PM  
jordan

I lurked for a while before I started posting (many years ago ). I had no experience with posting on forums and was unsure how to join the group. I found a lot of helpful information being shared so I stayed and eventually started posting. I learned a lot about so many different things and appreciated all the people who the took time to give their input. I enjoyed being part of the forum for a long time even when things were heated. I understand how easy it is for forum posts to be misinterpreted or to write a post that doesn’t reflect the tone of the intended response. I hope that people who want to join in a discussion just jump in and trust that most people mean well and just want to share their interest in fitness and a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes we just have to shrug things off or ask for clarification instead of getting upset over something that may or may not be intended to be hurtful. Another thing that I learned is that even if you don’t get many responses or are the only one posting, many times you have helped someone who is lurking or a VF member who is reading the board but doesn’t have time to post.

I don’t post anymore because life events have left me with little time. I can’t say I lurk anymore either. I just happened to stop by and this was the thread at the top. So, hello to everyone and I wish you all good health. Any lurkers out there who want to post-just do it and don’t get discouraged easily because there are some really good people here who are willing share and support you through your fitness journey.

Thanks for letting me stop by,

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 05:52 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
I was trying to take the blame for you!

I was remembering when I was a lurker at VF. I lurked for about 6 months before posting. I even remember my very first post.

VF was much smaller then. There was still the occasional trouble. When I was a newbie there was a scandal called "Paula-gate." I forget the details as it was over 20 years ago. Something about a VFer who bragged about her perfect family and her perfect workouts being a sham.

There were plenty of contentious threads about The FIRM.

The hardest part of being a new VFer for me was all the acronyms. I didn't understand "LOL" or "LMAO" or "BTW."

VFers loved "GHAS" and "MIS." Nobody wanted to "TIFT." It took a while to get the lingo!

I still don’t think I know what GHAS and MIS mean. Can you enlighten me please?

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 06:08 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I still don’t think I know what GHAS and MIS mean. Can you enlighten me please?

Kim
Cory Everson's Get Hard Arms & Shoulders
Cathe Friedrich's Maximum Intensity Strength
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 11:08 PM  
maitai

Agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I don't post all that often but I do read every day and post whenever I feel I have something to contribute. It doesn't stop me if no one responds or if they disagree. It's all good. I do like to read a good train wreck thread once in awhile but I know it really isn't helpful when things turn that way.
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 07:19 AM  
Theeearn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Welcome! I would love to discuss any lesser known/used instructors anytime!

All the checkins are welcoming if you decide to join one.
Thank you! I would love that. My youngest and I have been pretty sick for over a week. So I’ve been away from the forum a few days. I will be jumping in soon 😊
Theeearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 07:42 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theeearn View Post
Thank you! I would love that. My youngest and I have been pretty sick for over a week. So I’ve been away from the forum a few days. I will be jumping in soon ��
I am in the yoga check in, but you do not have to practice yoga to be in there-we are a very friendly group (as they all are, though!)

There are have been threads in the past about lesser known instructors. I enjoy finding out about ones I am not familiar with, and I always read those threads.

I am so sorry you and your child have been sick. I hope you both feel much better soon-hugs!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 08:11 AM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan View Post
... Another thing that I learned is that even if you don’t get many responses or are the only one posting, many times you have helped someone who is lurking or a VF member who is reading the board but doesn’t have time to post.
Excellent point. Look at the number of views relative to the number of posts. There are lots of folks out there reading.

I also lurked for years before a post that spoke to me very personally enticed me to join in. I always felt there were so many knowledgable people that I didn't have anything to contribute.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 08:24 AM  
pcdoctor01

I remember once I changed my mind about a post because I thought no one would be interested. So I edited it and put a period in the title and the message area. Man, a few crazy women came down like hawks on steroids. I was too mature to respond to the their replies though. Gotta love the Internet.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lurkdom, lurkers, vf activity