Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-19, 10:38 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Question Workouts from RAVE to MEH

Hi all!

Have you come back to a workout you haven't done for a while but loved when you did it? And then discovered it wasn't so great?

I seem to be doing that a lot lately. I'm trying to go through some older DVDs that I haven't done in a while and I'm finding some of them are just kind of "meh" to me now.
It's not that they aren't challenging, just missing the joy I guess.

For instance, Lauren Brook's Kettlebell Incinerator. I did both disks one time back in 2016 and loved it according to my workout log notes. Today I did the first disk and although I got a good workout, it just didn't thrill me anymore.

Have you gone from the yay to nay category with your workouts?

Needless to say my trade list will be growing. LOL

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 10:55 AM  
alisoncooks

All the time! But, given enough time, they often swing back to "rave" again. That's I've parted with/reacquired certain workouts multiple times.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 10:55 AM  
marki64

Yes!! I just went through my pile and am getting rid of several.

What comes to mind:
10 Days to a Better Body-just bores me now and so does her voice.
Cathe's Imaxes-I'm over it, no fun factor anymore.
Patrick Goudeau's Hot Body, etc.. Can't look forward to the 2nd round anymore. Still love a couple of his, but his older ones, nah.
A couple Amy Bento's, who I love, but a couple I just can't get excited to do anymore.
Anni Mairs-Fierce Force? I recently tried to do it and after 20 min, I kept looking at the clock.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 11:34 AM  
IceQueen07

Lately ones that I had gotten rid of because I really didn't like, I am now getting again and seem to like. Weird how our tastes on workouts change.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 12:07 PM  
Sandrine

Fun thread!

I usually go from nay to yay, rather than the opposite. I remember in particular doing that with the Firm's BSS1, being disappointed after doing it once, then really liking it after pulling it out several years later. And anything with complex choreo gets much better after several tries and a bit of time!
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 12:27 PM  
kat999

Yes, this has happened to me recently. Some of my first workout videos were the FIRM Basics series, which are 45-minute VERY beginner FIRM-style workouts to show you to moves. These were produced in the mid- to late-'90s to provide a reverse introduction to the six-volume originals, IIRC. Anyway, I used to find them to be moderately difficult if I used heavy weights and boosted the intensity, so even though they're very, very beginner level, I still did them when they came up in rotation. Fast forward to now, when I've been lifting heavier and running up to 15 miles a week for almost a year now and focusing very, very hard on my endurance. I've graduated to Jari Love for my AWT workouts mostly, but I still do the FIRM, and the Basics came up in my rotation last week. I did all of them over the course of a couple of days, found that I had all the instructions so memorized it was boring, and even with boosting the weights and intensity, the calorie burn was basically nothing. Don't get me wrong; I may age back into these as I get older or just crave something mega low intensity, but seeing as how these are the original VHS tapes and I'm down to one working VCR, I suspect the VCR will fail before my body ever decides it needs this kind of gentleness.
Old 04-25-19, 02:13 PM  
Dabbadooey

Any yoga...loved it for decades, now it gets on my last nerve.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 04:17 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
Any yoga...loved it for decades, now it gets on my last nerve.
Oh my gosh, me too, and it hurts me too, all of which makes me SO SAD because I primarily did yoga for years! And you should SEE my yoga collection...it's enormous (and makes me feel guilty because I won't use it but I won't get rid of it either).

And Alisoncooks, me too on yay to nay to yay again. I've kicked myself more than a few times recently for having gotten rid of stuff I said I'd never want or do again. Guess what? I've reacquired those things and am loving and doing them again and now vow to not get rid of anything again because of it!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 07:50 PM  
Mickey12

For me it’s more nay to yah also. I am finding workouts that I never would have considered in the past because they didn’t quite measure up to high standards of production, good choreography or great music. Fast forward many years of pretty uninspired, drill-based workouts and those older workouts that weren’t worthy of purchase because they weren’t perfect are now looking pretty great. This combined with the urge to buy DVDs before they are extinct has led to a lot of purchases!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 11:57 PM  
fatkat555

I have many that I loved but haven’t pulled out in forever. So many yoga dvds I have go unused now. Also, my Amy Bento and Tracey Staehle workouts have been untouched for years. And my Ripped dvds must have dust on them. I keep thinking maybe I’ll pull them out?

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote