Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-17, 07:05 PM  
deineira

Live 1:1 Custom Class with Hamelin D'Abell

Hello,
I was in the UK for work last week and decided to take a long weekend and stay in London. I also booked a 1:1 class with Hamelin while I was there, and I has my session last Saturday.

I have been doing HDM workouts for about 4 years off and on. I have the attention span of a gnat, so I mix in all sorts of other workouts, but Hamelin is always in my rotation somewhere. I did customs for 3 months, and regularly buy his series. I have more HDM workouts than I can do in a lifetime.

I've had Skype calls with Hamelin, so I've had live interactions with him before, but we've never met in person. I have to say it was so exciting! I love Hamelin. He's very warm and genuine, and I love his philosophy around physical, mental and spiritual health (whatever that means to you personally). He absolutely exudes the same warmth and sincerity he displays in person, and I immediately felt so at ease with him.

I tend to like "athletic" workouts and do a lot of Cathe, Ilaria, Michelle Dozois, etc. Hamelin knows this about me and planned my session accordingly. It was a circuit workout, and started with a circuit of walking lunges with a kettlebell, squats w/ kb and some jump rope. We repeated this 3x. My next circuit had pushups, plie squats and something else I forgot. The next circuit had overhead presses, overhead carries with a medicine ball, and something else I forget. I was definitely working up a sweat! Then we moved to floorwork. I had 2.5 kg ankle weights, and did a series of side lying lifts, some kind of side donkey kicks (not sure how to describe these), and rotations with bent leg. We then moved to standing leg work with ankle weights. There were side lifts, and some blitzmatic type moves working in opposing planes...legs moving back while the same arm moved forward with a weight. There was also so standing leg circles, and some work with gliders, like one legged squats. Buns and thighs were burning! These were smaller ranges of motion and I WAS DYING! We then did some plank work, and abs. This session was 60 minutes.

This was MUCH harder than I thought it would be based on his recorded workouts. Way more athletic, using heavier weights, and decent sized kettlebells. This was truly a workout designed for me and I LOVED IT.

The kicker is that I was sore for 3 days afterwards! The workout was challenging while I was doing it, but it did not seem like it was THAT bad. I was stunned by how sore my legs were. I had a really hard time walking around the city for the next two days. I am just now starting to feel normal---it's Tuesday, and my workout was last Saturday!

I wish I had booked another session while I was there, but then again, I wouldn't have made it.

This was a gift to myself, and it was worth every penny. I'm going back to the UK in January, and I am looking forward to another 1:1 with him.

Just wanted to share!
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 07:21 PM  
momofcha

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 08:17 PM  
Poodlepants

That sounds so fun.

I used to live in London and I once bought some downloads. I asked Nina where they were located and Hamelin got back to me to invite me to a class. I am kind of shy, so I ended up not going. I do regret it, though.
Old 10-19-17, 06:14 AM  
s2546

that sounds wonderful. it sounds like he cares very much about his craft and his students. good to hear

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-17, 06:32 AM  
Suzan66

I am so happy you loved your class and jealous that you got to meet Hamelin in person.
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-17, 06:59 AM  
zellybelly

Very jealous. I really wish I could go to London and do a one on one class.
Old 10-19-17, 07:30 AM  
Sharaz

Very nice!

Sounds like it was an effective workout. I like that he tailored the workout for you.

Thanks for the details.

Tags
hamelin d'abell, hamelin dabell method, hdm