Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-17, 10:25 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Red face I have yet to finish a Hamelin workout!

I like Hamelin and I like most of his workouts that I have tried. I even bought the Blitzmatics Bootcamp and Blitzmatics series.

Yet, I'm good for no more than 30-40 minutes of constant weighted arm work on top of all the other moves. (And I use very light weights.) It seems like a recipe for shoulder overuse issues.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what one is supposed to be doing. It's not like I can hear what he is saying in many of his videos. (The ones where he talks.) Plus, sometimes the music is blaring and tinny and I have to turn down the volume. He needs subtitles!

I understand that I am to be engaging the muscles and not just flopping around. But, seriously, I need form pointers - that I can hear.

So any HDM experts out there, please tell me what HDM is all about. What am I missing? What exactly is his "method."

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 01:35 PM  
dmlarue1

Curious to see what your responses will be...

I will be honest I love Hamelin and I saw visible results in my stomach and legs when I did his workouts consistently. However I can not do the long arm sections either. I can definitely see how those sections would give you great arms because of the muscles you are working. However one time I pushed myself too much into the burn and had a tendinitis flare up for a couple of days. Since then I only do what I can do and stop when it gets too much.
I tend to use that time to do some extra stretching.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 02:26 PM  
prettyinpink

I have the same question about what the method is. My take is that is fusion of traditional calisthenics, barre/Pilates/Callanetics, four limb aerobics i.e. Firm, and hI/low aerobics 80's- 90's style. Some of all of these! (Edit to add, but I am not the HDM expert or long-term fan, I have the same questions as you do).

I also think he needs form pointers. I like the workouts and feel like they are effective, but if I hadn't already done lots of barre, Pilates, Classical Stretch, fusion-type stuff, I might be frustrated because he doesn't give much instruction, at least in the stuff of his I have. Since the moves are slower in Blitzmatics, I try to fully extend my limbs and use opposition as in Pilates, CS, etc., and also lift/lower in extension. There are a couple of places in BM where I still cannot tell exactly what angle his leg is in or how a hip or shoulder is rotated, though. I wish he would do at least a short instructional of the basics of his Method and moves.

Since he openly gave credit to the ModelFit people as inspiration for his Blitzmatics, I found this video helpful. You will recognize many moves from the BM series, and I got more of a sense of what is supposed to be happening. I posted this in another thread so hope I don't annoy anyone being redundant.
https://intothegloss.com/2015/01/home-workout-modelfit/
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 02:56 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I have the same question about what the method is. My take is that is fusion of traditional calisthenics, barre/Pilates/Callanetics, four limb aerobics i.e. Firm, and hI/low aerobics 80's- 90's style. Some of all of these! (Edit to add, but I am not the HDM expert or long-term fan, I have the same questions as you do).

I also think he needs form pointers. I like the workouts and feel like they are effective, but if I hadn't already done lots of barre, Pilates, Classical Stretch, fusion-type stuff, I might be frustrated because he doesn't give much instruction, at least in the stuff of his I have. Since the moves are slower in Blitzmatics, I try to fully extend my limbs and use opposition as in Pilates, CS, etc., and also lift/lower in extension. There are a couple of places in BM where I still cannot tell exactly what angle his leg is in or how a hip or shoulder is rotated, though. I wish he would do at least a short instructional of the basics of his Method and moves.

Since he openly gave credit to the ModelFit people as inspiration for his Blitzmatics, I found this video helpful. You will recognize many moves from the BM series, and I got more of a sense of what is supposed to be happening. I posted this in another thread so hope I don't annoy anyone being redundant.
Thanks for the link! It is helpful. The form pointers give a better idea of how to do some of the moves.

I like the instructor. Her dog was funny.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 03:14 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post

Thanks for the link. I wonder if they plan to start streaming soon.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 03:25 PM  
prettyinpink

I found a few other short Model Fit workouts on YouTube but haven't watched them. There are a couple on the SweatyBetty channel.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 04:36 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I'm a big fan (but no expert either) having only done his workouts for the last six months. But, in that time I've tried many of his workouts. Sometimes he gives form pointers, but not always. He's really good with many of the ab exercises, reminding you to engage your stomach muscles. Or, with little reminders about keeping your shoulders pressed down. He also explains how to position your feet or legs when doing floor exercises, and if he's in front of a mirror, you can see clearly what he is doing (unless you're doing some of the earlier Rambert Studio location DMW workouts.)

He seems to combine many methods or exercise disciplines but how he combines and choreographs his workouts I think makes him different and unique. He taught live classes for years and began at a very young age, so he knows his stuff though he may not always walk you through and explain every single detail. His cardio classes are just plain fun, as are some of his music choices.

I have so far never used more than 2 pound hand weights, because some of the lengthy shoulder and arm sequences can be a bit much, I agree. Today I was doing DMW Course 4, Class 1 and he does some arm work while you're seated on the floor. I had to drop down to one pound for the few remaining reps.

I think he keeps getting better and better, and it's the combination of exercises that work so well. He seem to hit all of my trouble zones and I have a greater sense of well being after doing his workouts. I don't always have an hour to spend, but most days I try to at least do that much if I can.

I'm not sure I added anything noteworthy. I just wish he'd put his workouts on DVD, as I'm so techno challenged.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blitzmatics, calisthenics, hamelin d'abell, hdm