Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-30-22, 09:02 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Yesterday:

Pahla B Slim Your Belly & Tone Your Arms

I really enjoy Pahla's workouts but they always seem to tweak my back. She does a lot of twisty moves that I think contribute to that. I thought since the kb swings were working out so well I could branch out.
I think for now MR is the way to go for weights.

CAMBET, congrats on the spin bike!
I hope it jumpstarts some good fitness gains for you! Look forward to hearing how you like it once you get things set up.
Nice walks and steps too. Since B&N called me back for an interview 10 minutes after I filled out the application online I figured they're desperate for good workers.
But I'm very particular about what I want at this stage in my life and I'm sticking with it. We've been in the 30s the past few days with much lower windchills.
I think that's coming to an end after today though.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 06:54 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Wednesday I took a shortish walk around campus with a student and after I got home I finished CH: Giddy Up and did parts of CHE: Wild Horse to make it to over 10,000 steps for the day.

Yesterday I got my hair done at the salon after work and had about 7,000 steps when I got home late. I thought about doing a CH very lightly so that I wouldn't sweat, to make it to 10,000 steps for the day, but I actually fell asleep after I ate something for dinner.

My Schwinn IC4 spin bike arrived yesterday. I'm so excited to try it but probably won't be able to put it together until tomorrow. The box on one side is pretty beat up, but I'm hoping that the bike, itself, is ok!

SB - Good job with the Paula B workout. Sorry that it seems to have tweaked your back. It sounds like you'll have to stick to non-core/non-torso twisty stuff for a while. Glad you have MR as an alternative for weights. I hope you can find what you are looking for on the job front. With all the talk about employers desperately looking for workers, it seems like you would be able to (though I suppose they'd probably prefer people who can work as many hours as possible), so hang in there ! Temps still in the 30s? Ok, I'll be quiet about it being chilly with our highs in the low 60s.
Old 04-01-22, 08:16 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Yesterday:

41 minute outdoor walk

Felt good to be walking outdoors. It was actually warm and kind of muggy. No pleasing me I guess. Hoping for some weight work today but I'm visiting with my sister so you never know what I'll get around to doing.

CAMBET, good job with the step totals and good luck with the spin bike!! I hope everything is in order when you open it. My DS and his gf gave me a back massager for Christmas and it has several pieces to put together and I just haven't been able to face it. I can't even imagine putting a spin bike together. I'm sure you'll do fine and it will be great. I know in retail and restaurant jobs they really want to suck you dry with working all kinds of hours, weekends, holidays yada yada. I hate to say it but I also think there's some ageism involved too. Though I know I can run circles around people half my age, society doesn't value older workers. I'm sure I'll find something in time.

Have a great day!
Old 04-02-22, 09:40 AM  
nora
VF Supporter

Hey there! I'm just back from vacation visiting some friends and places on the west coast. I never really think to check in here when I'm away. Anyhow, I did a lot of walking while there.

So my plan heading into Spring, is to try to do a weight workout 3x per week, but limited to half an hour each time. Then, i'm going to continue daily walking. When I got home from my trip, all the snow and ice was gone which made me very happpy. No more walking sticks!

I hope everyone is well - need to go back and read. Where is PP? Hope all is well with her.
Old 04-03-22, 09:32 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

Yesterday:

41 minute outdoor walk

Not sure about the walking today since it's a gray drizzly day. I could do with some weight work, so I'll see how it goes.

NORA, welcome back! West Coast of Canada or USA? Either way sounds like an amazing trip. I too need to get more consistent with the weight work. Who will you use, Cathe? I'm thinking either MR or KCM. I never seem to be too consistent with yt instructors. PENGUIN has been MIA for quite awhile now. I've been thinking about her and hope all is well too.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 04-04-22, 08:06 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

I am officially on Spring Break! Actually, I had a proposal due on Saturday and I have a work meeting today, and then I'll set my out-of-office message, but I'm close to being there!

I didn't get in any workouts to speak of since last time I posted. Friday I made it to 8,000 steps. I had a OMG-We're-Glad-its-Spring-Break cookout with the Italy crew after work. I thought about trying to get 2,000 steps after I got home, but it just didn't happen.

Saturday and Sunday I did a few segments of CHE: Wild Horse and CH: Bring the Heat, but didn't make it to over 10,000 steps either day. Yesterday I put my spin bike together. I love the look of it; it's quite nice! I took a couple of very short rides, just trying it out, and signed up for the Peloton digital app. I think I'm going to like it; I'll do my first official ride today (last night I was too tired to get in a real workout). I don't like that riding doesn't count steps, so I'll just have to get used to the fact that on riding days, I probably won't get my steps in. I think that I'm going to at least check out the school gym treadmills before I buy my own. I don't want to work out with my students, but if I could somehow time it that I'm there during student downtimes (like at dinner time for them), it could maybe work out that I would use the treadmills there. I'm still open to getting a compact folding one for home use, though.

My eating was out of control last week, so I'm looking forward to just trying to be healthy this week. That means logging my food again (I stopped logging last week and just started eating whatever I wanted) and being intentional about exercise. And taking this time to de-stress some. Yay!

SB - Good job with your walks! I followed a YouTube video for putting the bike together (from a guy who seems to buy and review every spin bike out there), so it was no trouble at all. I tend to be good at putting things like this together, but the video helped A LOT, since the written instructions were not super clear. I'm sure that you will find something job-wise in time. I agree with you that, unfortunately, ageism is a factor in employer perceptions, which is sad because mature people are likely much more reliable and tend to have better customer service skills.

Nora - Welcome back! Sounds like nice traveling, though, like SB, I'm wondering if you mean the west coast of Canada or the US. Sounds like you have a good workout plan! I also wonder about PP. I hope she is doing well and is somehow just too busy to post.
Old 04-05-22, 08:21 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday was a pretty active day for me. I did CHE: Rope & Ride early in the day, and then after work I did my first Peloton ride on the spin bike. A 20-min ride may have been ambitious for my first ride. I had to stop a couple of times and did not always use the same cadence as the instructor. It was hard and I definitely have plenty of room for improvement. And I like bike-riding, but I'm still not really sure how much I liked this. I will say that I sweat A TON, so that was encouraging.

It's a shame that my Fitbit doesn't log the stats of spinning. It did give me credit for doing a workout but it only logged about 10 mins of my activity from when I was pedaling really fast. I have my own HRM and one comes with the bike, though I didn't use it yesterday, I just went by my own perceived exertion. To get my stats on the screen (cadence and resistance), which I guess I will build up to giving myself access to, you have to use the bike HRM and I may also need another app and more tech stuff. I'm still figuring it all out. I also did about 12 mins of CH: Country Swing as a cool down, since my heart rate was still high when I was done. Made it to over 11,500 steps for the day.

Waves to All!
Old 04-05-22, 09:05 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

Yesterday:

37 minute outdoor walk

Hoping to get out for another one today.
It's a gray day but I don't think it will rain.

CAMBET, congrats on spring break AND getting the spin bike put together!!
Kudos to you. I'm sure it's going to take some getting used to. Slow and steady.
I can see how it's disappointing not getting step counts with the pedaling. I wonder if there's some kind of app that can translate the stats for minutes worked out into step totals. Techie stuff for sure. Well have fun this week. I hope you get to de-stress and get yourself back on track.

Old 04-06-22, 09:11 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday I did CH: Cardio Round Up throughout the day and at night I did a 10 min tabata Peloton bike workout and followed that up with 10 mins of CH as a cool down. I made it to over 10,000 steps for the day.

SB - Good job with your outdoor walk! Sounds like things are coming along nicely with you and getting in some exercise. I know you are trying not to overdo it; is your back cooperating?

Thanks for your encouragement about the bike. I'm, honestly, still kind of on the fence about it, but you're right, I need some time to get used to it. Maybe a more comfortable seat would help (I'm looking into that). I will say that just that 10 min tabata ride left me out of breath, sweating a ton, and with a high heart rate, and I like that worked out feeling. I used the HRM that came with the bike yesterday, but, in order to track my steps and the bike workouts I think I would need an Apple Watch (which I don't have). I also don't have a tablet (I use the Peloton app on my iPhone or with my Amazon Fire Stick on the TV), so I would need to get an iPad to track my metrics (cadence and resistance) with the app (I can also use my iphone, but I think the screen is small for all of this). There's a console that comes with the bike, but if you want to see everything on one screen then I'd need an iPad (the IC4 resistance is not the same as the Peloton, but from what I've read, there are conversion charts and also an app that does it for you). Hmm. . . yeah, it's a lot to figure out. For now I'll just ride with what I have and then decide how much I care about having the optimum tech set up.
Old 04-06-22, 09:31 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good Morning!

Yesterday:

37 minute outdoor walk
deep squat

It's raining today so I'll try for something indoors. I really need to get back to weights, which I love. That will be the true test for my back too.

CAMBET, glad you got your step total over 10K. So far my back seems to be tolerating the walking. I think the weight work will be the next test. I know it sounds strange but my back seems to have improved since I incorporated those very low, deep squats.
Or maybe it was just time after all the pampering I did since last fall and through the winter.

All that tech stuff for the spin bike just made my head spin. I have no patience. LOL. But it does sound like even that short workout challenged you so that's good. Time will tell.

[/B]