Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-19, 07:24 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Question When to measure? When to Weigh?

Hey all,
Quick question.....how often do you or should you measure yourself?

Also how often do you weigh yourself? I've heard SO many theories - some saying don't weigh that often because you might get discouraged. Or DO weigh often so weight doesn't sneak up?
I currently weigh myself twice a week, Tues and Fri.

I don't measure myself very often.

Thanks and TGIF!!!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 07:43 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I weigh once weekly at my WW meeting and try my best to stay off the scale at home. If I like what I see at home it can tell my internal Cookie Monster to go ahead and raid that jar.

I gave up measuring with a tape measure a few years ago. I was driving myself nuts. But, when I was getting body fat analyzed at a gym, the guy told me to do it once every four weeks.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 08:04 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I weigh myself all the time! I just find it interesting. It doesn't freak me out or discourage (or particularly encourage) me really... I'm just curious about how different conditions affect my weight... I weigh more when it's humid than when it's not, for example.

I don't measure very often because it's a hassle. I just go by how my clothes fit.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 03:09 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I weigh myself several times a week. It's more of a motivation to stay on track. I've learned to take the emotional reaction out of it. I never measure. Now THAT would be depressing (for me). I go by how my clothes fit.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 03:11 PM  
weener
VF Supporter

I measure my waist, hips and thighs the first of each month.

I weigh every morning and night. I know weight fluctuates, but it helps me stay on track.

~~~~~~~~~
I grew up as teener weener. It got shorten to weener when a nephew was learning to talk and he just called me weener.

www.flickr.com/photos/32418450@N05/
weener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 04:59 PM  
BamaTanya

Weigh: every morning before I dress or eat
Measure: the morning of the first day of each month

May be obsessive, but I do better when I keep alert to any changes . . . before they get out of hand.
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 05:26 PM  
pgun3

Weigh: every morning after I go to the potty and before I dress. I need to see that I am losing because I know the water weight fluctuates and if I weigh myself and it goes up then I know it's more then likely just water.

I try to measure 1x per week but that is more frustrating then the weighing because I can't seem to measure in the same places consistently!
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 06:48 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Weigh: once a week, usually on Sunday mornings. Out of habit and not that I expect to see any difference from previous week. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Measure: usually on January 1st of every year when I'm all gung-ho to finally make it THIS year when I'm going to lose the weight and inches. Next year on Jan 1st I measure and usually find that nothing has changed from previous year.
Old 08-02-19, 06:52 PM  
Taiga

I try to weigh 1x/wk but use weight more as a training guideline (ballpark on how much water retention after heavy lifting so I can schedule appropriate rest). I don't attach much emotion to the number because many times my visible goal/results have coincided with steady or even increased weight. I'm too lazy to measure so I just keep "goal" pants (a size or 2 smaller) to try on when I'm training for a more compact size. In my experience, the right clothes are more accurate at assessing body changes than a scale.
Old 08-03-19, 09:08 AM  
kat999

I weigh myself every day at roughly the same point in the day, after a workout but before lunch. I know the common feeling is to weigh before breakfast, but I find I'm too hungry to do much more than stagger to the kitchen as soon as I wake up. Even though this means my number might be a little less accurate, I still think that the basic consistency of the habit keeps me in check and helps me gauge my progress.

I only measure myself if I'm planning on buying some new clothes and want to make sure I have a good idea of my size.

Once I hit my current goal weight, I may not weigh every day, but I might step up my measuring, since then it will be about changing my fat-to-muscle ratio.

Tags
measure, measurements, weighing yourself