Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-13, 10:11 AM  
Bebop

The only work that uses dynamic tension is the 12 minute workout.

Two days ago I did the lower body work out of Bottoms Up Gold and I still have Doms.

For what it's worth, I prefer Cathe's lower body workouts only because I get bored with the pyramid system for lower body. On the other hand, Joyce doesn't do leg presses and she offers substitute exercises.

Her bathing suit workout is a classic - three 20 minute identical rounds - lower body and abs. Doing just one round hits the entire lower body.
Her Just Joyce Series - Just Hip/Butt and Just Thighs - is all floor work.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 04:47 PM  
Sissy B

Just Butt is all floor work but Just Thighs is mostly standing exercises.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 08:09 PM  
Anny

Weight Training Made Easy and Now or Never have good routines if you want to lift heavier, IMO.

The Bathing Suit Workout is all abs and lower body and has been effective for me in the past.
Old 05-31-13, 02:47 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

*goes rummaging for the books*

Her books got me started exercising

her videos......
yeah...well....
I do like the Just series
Old 05-31-13, 01:34 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i read a couple of Joyce's books, but instead did Cory Everson's video series "Basic Sculpting System" and her "Get Hard Arms and Shoulders" videos. (note - cory's videos are only available on VHS).

i agree that Joyce's books are really good (well, her PhD is in literature!). and she's especially good at teaching you to become your own advocate in case people deter you from lifting weights. many of her books were written when you didn't see too many women lifting weights in the gym.

cory's weights workouts on video are short, succinct, and well-sequenced. her workouts use the minimal amount of equipment too.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 02:40 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

0_0
I think i have the Cory videos!

*dives into the pile of vhs*
Old 05-31-13, 08:09 PM  
buffmama

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I requested a few from the library including Cory to take a look at. Thinking of alternating weeks with one of these programs and some Cathe. Summer is here and I've been mentally working up to lifting heavier weights. (And now that I have shiny new heavier weights I would hate for them to sit unused mocking me.)
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 07:31 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

imhere2dance,
I really must thank you for starting this thread! I'm now motivated again to lift heavier and plan on starting with one of Joyce's books! (Since I'm still fairly weak, I'm thinking to start out with her College Dorm one as there only 5's are required.)
I've also bought myself some Gold's Gym adjustable weights as well as a bench that reclines, so now I'm all ready to go and excited!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 10:42 PM  
Anny

I have done Definition and Fat Burning with only one set of weights, usually 3kg or 6 pounds, when I am too lazy to get out all the weights. Good workouts still and remind me of my Cindy Crawford workouts, high rep and sets .
Old 06-07-13, 10:48 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny View Post
I have done Definition and Fat Burning with only one set of weights, usually 3kg or 6 pounds, when I am too lazy to get out all the weights. Good workouts still and remind me of my Cindy Crawford workouts, high rep and sets .
Ooh, never thought of doing that. Good idea and with one set of weights it'd be so much easier to keep up with Joyce.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college dorm workout, definition, dynamic tension, joyce vedral, significant weight loss, weight loss, weights only