Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-22, 03:49 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Here's one article that I had read about low salt diets: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...%20consumption.

I know that one of my friend's dh is a cardiac patient and is no longer adhering to a low or no salt diet.

If it isn't working for you, I'd encourage you to seek out other opinions.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 05:04 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
It will be an acquired taste to eat with less salt. The one thing I've discovered about taste buds is that they start preferring whatever it is that you're feeding them most often. Hang in there. Be persistent.
This.

Flavored vinegars are an excellent suggestion, as are herbs, lemon juice, and suggestions from the other thread.

Celery and tomatoes have a lot of natural sodium, so adding to soups and stews along with herbs and spices can help.

I agree that plain chicken breast tastes bad. Maybe instead of the whole chicken breast, make more dishes where you slice it up and put it into stir fries or soups.

For quinoa and other grains, consider cooking in broth instead of water. You can also put herbs, toasted nuts, roasted mushrooms, things like that, for more flavor. Same with steaming vegetables in broth. If the low-sodium brands are too high in sodium, you can use just a little, or make your own broth in large batches and freeze in small quantities, even in ice cube trays.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-22, 10:04 PM  
DCW

Did the physician recommend how much salt was okay?

As others have mentioned different spices makes a difference. Different countries use a wider variety of spices in their food so that might be an option to try different recipes that are new to you.

I also use dark meat when i cook chicken. Try as i may, i can't cook chicken breasts.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-22, 08:57 PM  
bfit

I'm the OP. The doctor said no more than 1500 mg per day. That seems like a lot, but EVERYTHING has salt in it. For example, prepared soup is out, homemade soup almost always requires broth of some kind which is high in salt, and salt free broth tastes terrible. Pasta sauce that you make from scratch tastes like tomato sauce without salt and that's about it after I've spent an hour making it. Prepared salad dressings are out, mayonnaise is out, catsup is out, mustard is out, pizza is out, most cheese is out, bagels and bread are out, tortillas and Mexican food are out, BBQ sauce is out, soy sauce is out, sandwich meat is out, tofu is out, it just goes on and on until it seems like there's nothing left to eat. If you eat 5 things with 300 mg of salt you're at 1500 before you know it. One can of prepared soup can have more than 1000 mg alone.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-22, 02:08 PM  
DBW

You might want to try Tony Chachures no salt seasoning. Raos make a low salt spaghetti sauce. Olive oil and vinegar with pepper on salad. Swiss cheese and sometimes fresh mozzarella have less salt than other cheeses. But yeah it’s challenging!
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-22, 03:15 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

bfit:

For a lower sodium vegetable broth that tastes good, I use:

Better Than Boullion ORGANIC Vegetable Base REDUCED SODIUM. I only use 1/2 teaspoon of the vegetable base to make one cup of broth and that has 175 mg of sodium. It tastes really good and I use it in all my homemade soups and stews! I make sure to buy the ORGANIC reduced sodium because the ORGANIC version does not have any oil in it. I have bought it from Whole Foods market and also from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-B...21&sr=8-4&th=1

For my salad dressings, I only use one of the flavored balsamic vinegars on my salads and that is delicious. I buy them from the company California Balsamic. Their balsamic vinegars are salt-free, sugar-free and oil-free:

https://californiabalsamic.com/produ...gory/balsamic/

For salt-free mustard I buy Westbrae Stoneground No Salt Mustard. I have found it at a few markets but I've also bought it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Westbrae-Natu...s%2C125&sr=8-3

The salt-free ketchsup from Well Your World is good:

https://wellyourworld.com/collection...29168760684647

Their salt-free BBQ sauce is good too:

https://wellyourworld.com/collection...29168780509287

They have a salt-free Marinara Sauce, a salt-free Mushroom Basil Pasta Sauce, and a salt-free Pizza Sauce that I would like to try one day. You can find their salt-free items here:

https://wellyourworld.com/collections/food

For soy sauce, I use Bragg Coconut Liquid Aminos or low sodium Tamari LITE sauce.

I hope that helps!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-22, 07:24 PM  
BunnyHop

I seem to remember that when shopping for packaged goods, if the sodium content listed was shown as less than ten percent, it would be okay to have, so long as everything else was also low/no sodium.

I seem to remember that any sort of bread or baked good was problematic, but that dad got along okay with some of the whole grain breads available at the time.

I put a homemade creole seasoning blend with no sodium on quite a lot, it was an easy way to add some flavor without the sodium.

As I've said,the sodium free chicken broth packets weren't bad, were better when supplemented with freshly ground black pepper and fresh garlic.

In my dad's case, he was on a tight fluid restriction too, so it was always a tricky balance.

He loved strong flavors, so spices were a great way to liven things up.
Old 05-12-22, 05:00 AM  
DCW

I looked up the daily recommended sodium intake; it's 2,300. I shudder to think how much i really eat.

Your post is a wakeup call for me.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-22, 06:21 AM  
DBW

There are low and even no salt bread options. Dave’s is really good, I use it to make avocado toast.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food...-sodium-bread/
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 12:07 PM  
kat999

As a few others said, once you start cooking with low salt or salt-free seasoning for a while, you will get used to it to the point where anything with a high sodium content will taste very bad. I think it took me less than a year to adjust to cooking with other spice blends. I distinctly remember eating something a friend prepared last summer and I almost couldn't eat it, it was so salty, yet I know I'd eaten the same meal from her years before and never felt like it was over-salted.

When I cook, I use a generic version of Mrs. Dash in lieu of salt. When I make pasta and need to salt the water, I use low-sodium salt. I eat lower-sodium versions of pasta sauce and soup. I only drink sodium-free beverages. I truly don't miss higher salt content foods.

Tags
high blood pressure, low sodium, salt