Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-22, 08:18 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
In AZ, the dry air wicks the sweat, unless the temps are high (for me, 98+) so that it seems that I'm not sweating, but having lived here my whole life and having traveled to many different climates, I'm sweating as much in the dry climate as I am in the humid air. For me, hot and humid makes breathing harder, and the sweat rolls off, but if I were home in the same temp, much of the sweat would evaporate quickly, and I wouldn't need gills to breathe.
Gotcha. I find when I'm out there visiting family I need more water bc my mouth gets dry but haven't ever noticed myself needing more salt. Here I keep salt packets on me when we hike and on our canoeing trips in case I get dizzy. It helps a lot for me.

Just another comment about cutting out salt. My mother-in-law was the director of nursing at a nursing home for many years and when my hubby was in HS he worked there too for a time. There were many residents there who had problems bc they had been on low salt diets for so long. Our bodies do need sodium, just not as much as the typical American diet. Just smthg to keep in mind. The end for my mom began when her sodium levels got too low. Bc she had ALS there was nothing they could do to reverse it bc her lungs couldn't heal with the typical treatment for it.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!
Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Word for 2022: Consistency
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 09:00 AM  
fanofladyvols
VF Supporter

Agreed! Low salt, does not mean no salt for us.

We have also learned you have to stay vigilant continuously reading labels. How they manufacture items appears to be fluid and trusted items and brands sometimes don't stay trustworthy.

(P.S. We were shocked to see how many items have MSG.)

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word for 2022: Balance
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 09:20 AM  
BigBadBetty

I will echo the low does not mean no salt. Start looking at the sodium content of your food. It surprising how much sodium in bottled/boxed/canned goods. Many don't even taste salty! I did a weight loss study which used the DASH diet. I didn't follow it religiously. I still salted my food, but I tried to limit the high sodium prepared food. I also limited going out to eat.

I don't if it was the switch to less processed food or the weight loss or a combo of the two, but I was able to go from borderline to normal blood pressure. But I still use salt.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 10:38 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
TJ's Umami seasoning and Everything But the Bagel and 21 Seasoning Salute are staples in our cupboard.
Just a note that the first two of these do contain salt. Salt is the first ingredient for Umami seasoning.

I am not completely salt free, but when I use it, I use iodized salt for the iodine.
You donít need much. Processed foods and spice mixes usually donít contain iodized salt.

Another thing to be aware of is restaurants. Everything has so much added salt, the dressings, the sauces, even breads and plain rice usually have some added. Cooking at home and avoiding all packaged products with added salt will get rid of most excess sodium. Processed meats and all dairy contain quite a bit of sodium, so if still eating these things, I donít think anyone would be super low.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 10:54 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=prettyinpi

Another thing to be aware of is restaurants. Everything has so much added salt, the dressings, the sauces, even breads and plain rice usually have some added[/QUOTE]

This is so true about restaurants. I worked in a restaurant for many years and we would watch the chefs cooking sometimes. They would literally pour the salt over the food while cooking. Huge amounts. We would stare open mouthed at the amount of salt they used. I said these guys are really try to kill us all
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 10:58 AM  
BunnyHop

Cooking methods matter quite a lot, but going low sodium doesn't need to be complete torture.

When I cooked for my dad, I made sure to read labels and check for the percentage of sodium. That's what to watch for, it's not just about salt.
Old 03-10-22, 11:47 AM  
kat999

I've been on a low-salt regime for a few years now and I got used to it very quickly to the point now where things that have a lot of salt taste gross to me.

I use a generic version of Mrs. Dash in all recipes when it calls for things to be salted/peppered, and if I need to use real salt for pasta or potato boiling, I use low-sodium salt. I still eat restaurant food and some prepared foods, but this is my protcol whenever I cook for myself. My hypertension (which is hereditary) is now well-controlled through this plus reducing my caffeine, increasing my exercise, and trying to reduce my stress (which is somewhat difficult these days!).

ETA: I was taking a low-dose BP medication and was gradually able to taper down the dose and then quit taking it completely.
Old 03-10-22, 01:28 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I've been on a low-salt regime for a few years now and I got used to it very quickly to the point now where things that have a lot of salt taste gross to me.

I use a generic version of Mrs. Dash in all recipes when it calls for things to be salted/peppered, and if I need to use real salt for pasta or potato boiling, I use low-sodium salt. I still eat restaurant food and some prepared foods, but this is my protcol whenever I cook for myself. My hypertension (which is hereditary) is now well-controlled through this plus reducing my caffeine, increasing my exercise, and trying to reduce my stress (which is somewhat difficult these days!).

ETA: I was taking a low-dose BP medication and was gradually able to taper down the dose and then quit taking it completely.
This, although my hereditary high BP still requires medication but a minimal amount.

We are now super sensitive to the insane amount of salt/sodium in restaurant and pre-packaged foods (even things like frozen vegetables and peanut butter). There are a number of Mrs. Dash-type varieties that add plenty of flavor and spice to foods, and as bzar mentioned, citrus is a good addition. We don't add salt to anything when cooking. It's definitely a process of trial and error and I haven't found a lot of "low sodium" prepackaged foods that I like. I've had better luck at altering "regular" recipes and substituting other ingredients for the salt.

And I live in a pretty humid climate and sweat very easily. I still get plenty of salt in the foods I eat without adding more.

bzar, so interesting about what brings down your BP so quickly, although I have tried and can't do the V8 without the salt so I don't drink it at all anymore. I used to drink regular V8 by the quart when I was a teenager, so it must have been the salt that I liked.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley, Hobbes and Winston Fan Girl!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high blood pressure, low sodium, salt