Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-22, 08:49 PM  
Erica H.

Concussion and nausea

I hit my head really hard on the kitchen cabinet door on Tuesday and am pretty sure I have a mild concussion - I've had headache/nausea/sleepiness ever since then.

I'm having a tough time with the nausea (no vomiting). I just don't handle it well. I get relief when I'm asleep and it also seems like eating helps for some reason.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this. Will the nausea ever go away? I can handle the headache and the sleepiness but the nausea is making me miserable.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-22, 10:36 PM  
bfit

You really need to see a doctor, even if it involves going to an emergency room. Concussions are nothing to mess around with, especially if you are having symptoms like nausea. You may need some kind of scan to make sure you don't have bleeding in your brain. A doctor should be able to answer your questions about how to handle nausea and how long it might last.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-22, 10:43 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

You need to go see a dr asap.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-22, 11:20 PM  
ChelePA

Erica. I agree with others about checking with a doctor to see if they want a scan-especially since it’s been several days and symptoms continue. I hit my head really hard about 10 years ago. Headache persisted so I got a scan and all was ok. Just recently with my near fatal car accident, I had a severe concussion. Obviously they did a CT scan to check plus I had so many other issues going on. No bleed. But my symptoms remained for several months. And I still have vague symptoms eight months later.

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this on top of your surgery. Keep us posted on how you’re doing.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-22, 11:40 PM  
CharM

I'm sorry this happened to you, Erica. Please see a doctor, concussions aren't something you want to take lightly.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-22, 06:18 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
You really need to see a doctor, even if it involves going to an emergency room. Concussions are nothing to mess around with, especially if you are having symptoms like nausea. You may need some kind of scan to make sure you don't have bleeding in your brain. A doctor should be able to answer your questions about how to handle nausea and how long it might last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
You need to go see a dr asap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Erica. I agree with others about checking with a doctor to see if they want a scan-especially since it’s been several days and symptoms continue. I hit my head really hard about 10 years ago. Headache persisted so I got a scan and all was ok. Just recently with my near fatal car accident, I had a severe concussion. Obviously they did a CT scan to check plus I had so many other issues going on. No bleed. But my symptoms remained for several months. And I still have vague symptoms eight months later.

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this on top of your surgery. Keep us posted on how you’re doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM View Post
I'm sorry this happened to you, Erica. Please see a doctor, concussions aren't something you want to take lightly.
Thanks everyone. I did contact my family doctor yesterday (full disclosure: she's an awful doctor) and told her what happened and what my symptoms are. She said I need to be seen if my symptoms get worse or if I develop new neurologic symptoms but otherwise just keep resting at home as I have been doing.

With Covid, the enormous expense of scanning, and my very limited mobility (I'm on crutches with no weight bearing), I really don't want to go in since I don't feel like this is an emergency situation. I think I just need to rest but the nausea is just so uncomfortable at times.

Erica
Old 01-08-22, 09:52 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I'm so sorry Erica! I don't have anything to contribute about concussions (but my hubby has had a few from sports injuries). Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and sure hope for better days ahead! I can imagine this has been one more stressful thing you really didn't need. Big hugs!
Lori_Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-22, 10:49 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I'm so sorry Erica! I don't have anything to contribute about concussions (but my hubby has had a few from sports injuries). Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and sure hope for better days ahead! I can imagine this has been one more stressful thing you really didn't need. Big hugs!
Aw, thanks. I'm optimistic that today is going better. Still slept a lot last night (which actually feels amazing after so many years of insomnia) and sleepy today but the headache/nausea have improved for now. I can deal with sleepy - esp. since I'm stuck on the couch anyway.

Erica
Old 01-08-22, 12:04 PM  
Vantreesta

Ginger can help with nausea. Another thing to try is Dramamine. I have tried this during bouts of vertigo and it helped.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-22, 12:11 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Go to Urgent Care or better yet, the Emergency Room. I think you need a head scan. Remember the case of the Redgrave woman who died after hitting her head, and not seeking medical attention.