Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-19, 08:25 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
just fyi everyone - as this is big issue for me and most physicians either don't know or refuse to believe that the evidence shows that cpaps lead to weight gain. Below is the abstract of a meta analysis, so this is not a one off finding. Also, one study I found showed an effect for gender (women gained, men didn't) and bmi (non-obese people gained). Also another study found that the higher the level of compliance (number of nights of use and number of hours per night) was associated with greater weight gain.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25432944

I found this study after I gained 10 pounds in 5 months and had to purchase all new pants to wear to work.
That's interesting. I will be sure to discuss it with my pulmonologist the next time I see her.

I lost weight after I started using my CPAP. I've been using it for about six months now, and I still weigh less than before I started using it. I am pretty sure that any weight that I have gained (or failed to lose, I should say) is due to me just not following the usual weight loss prescription: fewer calories/more exercise. I'm just not keeping up my end of the bargain when it comes to checking my sweet tooth, eating healthier meals, doing regular workouts, and just moving more in general. Also, I think I should note that it took me a good three months on the CPAP before I really started feeling 'normal' again. After that, I lost a few pounds because I was eating better and exercising more, due to feeling well rested and more positive, in a better mood, etc.

I believe at the end of the article it does mention that "additional therapies for body weight reduction...should be recommended." I would agree with that!

Donna
Old 02-20-19, 03:54 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Donna, I think it's great that you've been able to lose weight on the cpap. I used mine for 6 months and never really got used to it. But I was relieved to find out it might explain my weight gain.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19, 08:26 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Regarding food having a psychological hold on you. I struggle with this too. Specifically when it comes to sweets. I felt totally out of control around them.

I learned that I am a creature of habit. I always stop at ____ for ____ when I ______. Sometimes I am not really in the mood for _____ but I eat it out of habit. Also, I found by delaying gratification, the craving for ___ would pass. I act like a petulant teenager sometimes and hate being told I can't eat____. So I tell myself "you can have ____, but later" This works well for me. Not every time but enough. It takes practice.
This was a very expensive program and frankly some of the lessons and habits were silly but some of that was me being a petulant teenager. There are apps like Noom that have coaching that are less expensive but I do not have experience with them. Noom has a free 14 day trial if you are interested.
Ireidgreen, this sounds like me, especially regarding sweets.

I'm wondering if anyone has had success with Noom? I see ads for it on my IG thread. I signed up today to give it a try.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with writer Gretchen Rubin. She has a great podcast called "Happier." She researches and writes about happiness and habit change, and developed a personality framework called 'The Four Tendencies.' It addresses how you respond to expectations. I think if I had taken it years ago, I would have come out as an upholder (meets both outer and inner expectations), but lately I have come out as an obliger (meets outer but not inner expectations.... maybe motherhood changed me? IDK!)

Obligers need accountability and I've been struggling to find the right kind of accountability. Since in the past, I would just make a resolution and keep it without needing any external prompting, this need for accountability is new to me and I'm struggling to find something that works. I'm hoping Noom might help. I'd love to hear if others have had success... or not.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19, 10:56 AM  
JeepGirl

A few weeks ago I caught up with my BFF from college. (College was 30 years ago &#128563. The two of us have struggled with weight and it's a frequent topic. She joined Noom last fall and is down 35 pounds. One of the things we talked about was our incredibly extensive knowledge of diet programs but our long term failure at keeping weight off because motivation, thought patterns and ways we self sabotage aren't addressed. I know in past programs I've struggled with anxiety at public weigh in time and just throughout the program in general, and because my weight and past failures at weight loss are a big issue to me the entire issue is anxiety provoking. I work an incredibly high stress job and think I'm relatively adept at handling anxiety in general but not at all in this area in my life. I joined Noom two weeks ago and I am loving it. The greater emphasis is on psychology and how to address and change your behaviors and habits. It's a breath of fresh air. My Apple Watch is synced to it and tracking activity is seamless. It takes about ten minutes in the morning to read through 2-3 brief articles. No meetings, no cookbooks, no magazines, no other items to buy. I haven't weighed myself yet--and it is a recommendation obviously--but I weathered a weekend away (which typically would either be a free for all or I'd be in deprivation mode, which sucks) just fine. No anxiety. I actually have hope and belief that this will work, and I haven't had that in several years. I'm planning on losing 20-30. HTH!
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19, 05:43 PM  
Sollamyn

Thumbs up

Thanks, again, everyone! I really appreciate all of your contributions. You've all been really helpful.

Donna
Old 02-24-19, 09:32 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Nuggie's Aunt, Thanks for mentioning the Gretchen Rubin podcast. I will check it out. I have heard about her book but haven't read it or listened to her podcast.
I would like to hear what you think of Noom.

JeepGirl, I am glad that Noom is working out for you and that your friend had good success with it.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-19, 02:02 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Nuggie's Aunt, Thanks for mentioning the Gretchen Rubin podcast. I will check it out. I have heard about her book but haven't read it or listened to her podcast.
I would like to hear what you think of Noom.
Her book 'Better than Before' is about habit strategies. I love the podcast, but I'm not a fan of most of her books, but I like Better than Before. She details a number of well researched strategies for habit change. Hope it helps!
Old 02-26-19, 02:16 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl View Post
One of the things we talked about was our incredibly extensive knowledge of diet programs but our long term failure at keeping weight off because motivation, thought patterns and ways we self sabotage aren't addressed. I know in past programs I've struggled with anxiety at public weigh in time and just throughout the program in general, and because my weight and past failures at weight loss are a big issue to me the entire issue is anxiety provoking.
Yes, I think that describes me, too. I consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable (for a 'layperson') about nutrition, weight loss, different weight loss plans, fitness, etc., but somehow since I hit my mid-40s, all my head knowledge is not translating into an ability to stick to anything long term.

I'm glad to hear you and your friend are finding Noom to be helpful. I'll admit to being slightly put off by the eating plan itself, in that it is based on caloric density. (For non-Noomers, the plan shunts various foods into 'green,' 'yellow,' and 'red' categories. It's not that 'red' foods are demonized in any way, but you are cautioned not to eat too many 'red' foods.) I wish it were more nuanced, as I firmly believe that weight loss it about FAR MORE than 'calories in/calories out.' I think weight is more influenced by hormonal factors (insulin, leptin, ghrelin, etc.) and gut health than simple caloric density. But whatever, I'm finding I can make it work fairly well even within my food preferences... I'll admit to be annoyed, however, that carby oatmeal is a green food while protein rich eggs are in the yellow category, but I'll shut up before I violate diet guidelines.

Anyway, I am finding it really easy to log my food. I mean, it's the easiest food logging system I've ever used, and that's great because I loathe logging food! I also like that they acknowledge that weight loss is so much more food related than exercise and with the plan, you can't try and exercise a ton just to get a larger food 'budget' (you get a little more, but not a lot.)

And, as Jeepgirl said, the attention to the psychological aspect is huge, and just the fact that an actual human being is going to be checking in with me helps to keep me on track.

Tags
appetite, cpap, hunger, noom, weight loss